Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
glutton for punishment?
glutton for punishment?
I must be a glutton for punishment because I consented to go to a bible study tonight out of sheer desperation for human contact (no laughing or jokes about this please.) Needless to say, it didn't work out. Actually, I never even made it there.
RE: glutton for punishment?
Dunno,

I hear you on the need for human contact. We all need it and church does provide a lot of fellowship activities to meet that need. I know Atheism isn't a religion and as far as I know there aren't any groups where I live that could provide fellowship opportunities, but wouldn't it be nice if there was something like church for atheists?

Ok, so your issue is a craving for human contact and I have a solution... partner dancing. I have been a swing dancer for 5 years now and it has changed my life in many unplanned ways. It is a great way to meet people and get some exercise. There are usually drop in lessons that are free and will cover the basics so you can flop about the floor and not be a complete gimp but lessons will be required to move on to feeling comfortable on the floor. This is an extremly jarring experience if you're a guy and a little less if you are a girl because girls are sociallized to like dancing while guys are meant to view it as gay. I am a guy and dancing is AWESOME!

Another option would be going into your local bookstore and asking about any reading groups that might be around. Here in Oregon Powell's has a whole list of reading clubs that meet weekly to discuss all kinds of books. Who knows there might even be a group, right now, that is discussing "The God Delusion"

Rhizo
If you really want to meet people, try meetup.com and find a common interest community in your area. I've had great success with my atheist meetup group which I quickly became an organizer for.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Eilonnwy,

Great site I never knew anything like that existed.

Rhizo
Yeah, it's how Boston Atheists organizes it's various events. I haven't checked out any other groups on it, because honestly between my atheist group and anime hobby, I don't need any more meetups. XD
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
That is how I feel about dancing. It keeps me plenty busy and I will be even more involved once I am done with school. I can taste it, only six more weeks!

Rhizo
(July 6, 2009 at 8:38 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I hear you on the need for human contact. We all need it and church does provide a lot of fellowship activities to meet that need. I know Atheism isn't a religion and as far as I know there aren't any groups where I live that could provide fellowship opportunities, but wouldn't it be nice if there was something like church for atheists?
Please do not make such a suggestion. I hate most atheists, myself included from time to time, anyhow. The worst nightmare would be that atheism becomes some kind of movement with a mission for the world and a social structure like we're one happy goddamn family, thinking like Borgs.
(July 6, 2009 at 8:22 pm)DunnoAnymore Wrote: I must be a glutton for punishment because I consented to go to a bible study tonight out of sheer desperation for human contact (no laughing or jokes about this please.) Needless to say, it didn't work out. Actually, I never even made it there.
Isn't bible study meant to come in contact with the divine?
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(July 7, 2009 at 1:39 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: Please do not make such a suggestion. I hate most atheists, myself included from time to time, anyhow. The worst nightmare would be that atheism becomes some kind of movement with a mission for the world and a social structure like we're one happy goddamn family, thinking like Borgs.

Isn't bible study meant to come in contact with the divine?

On point one I will refrain from commenting other than to say I get where you are coming from. A topic for another thread perhaps.

Bible study is for studying the book, fellowship, and sometimes a peak experience slips in. I have been to many and the bible was always the focus with fellowship being a greater or lesser part depending on the group. At my parent's house we had a pool table so quite often after we read the Bible we would shot some pool. Only on the rare occasion did we have what I would call a peak experience. Quite often battle lines were drawn between fundies and more liberal thinkers and name calling and gnashing of teeth ensued. blech!

Christianity; the only army that shoots its wounded. (Christian saying)

Rhizo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eternal punishment is pointless. Ryantology 497 58590 December 5, 2014 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Humanity's Punishment: If it was a court case. bladevalant546 68 22705 September 4, 2013 at 3:33 am
Last Post: catfish
  Gods acts of punishment and miracles. Gooders1002 23 9253 November 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet