Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
RC Church "200 years behind" the times
RC Church "200 years behind" the times
In an article that has just been posted on the BBC News page, Cardinal Carlo Martini says Church '200 years behind'.

Quote:Italian Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini has described the Roman Catholic Church as being "200 years behind" the times.

The cardinal died on Friday, aged 85.

Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera has published his last interview, recorded in August, in which Cardinal Martini says: "The Church is tired... our prayer rooms are empty."

Martini, once tipped as a future pope, urged the Church to recognise its errors and to embark on a radical path of change, beginning with the Pope.

Discuss? Smile
[Image: ascent_descent422.jpg]
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RE: RC Church "200 years behind" the times
The catholic church is more than 200 years behind the times.

It's about time we threw it in the gutter with the rest of the ancient religions that worshipped gods such as Zues, Odin and Thor.
(September 1, 2012 at 11:25 am)Napoléon Wrote: The catholic church is more than 200 years behind the times.

It's about time we threw it in the gutter with the rest of the ancient religions that worshipped gods such as Zues, Odin and Thor.

To me, the most interesting part of this story is that the cardinal was one of the potentials for the papacy. If Ratzinger (old-school hard-liner) hadn't gotten the position, the world might have taken an important step towards secularism. When it comes to the RCC, one little step every few hundred years is the best we can hope for. Undecided
[Image: ascent_descent422.jpg]
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
Catholic church can't even in principle embrace the very concept of keeping up with the times because Christianity is down to its very deepest core a backward looking, regressive cult which holds best times was in the past, whether that was the Eden, the coming of Christ, whatever.

It's surprisingly shallow of one so lofty as to be candidate far papacy to I
imagine anything Christian could be anything but behind, and a drag upon, human endeavor to improve things beyond what they had ever been before.

Traditional churches are losing members. This is more likely a response to the threat of extinction, rather than a genuine desire for change. If the pews were full, these men would be silent.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I bet Herr Von Popenfuhrer is glad this fucker is dead. One less liberal to worry about.
(September 1, 2012 at 11:22 am)Red Celt Wrote: In an article that has just been posted on the BBC News page, Cardinal Carlo Martini says Church '200 years behind'.

Quote:Italian Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini has described the Roman Catholic Church as being "200 years behind" the times.

The cardinal died on Friday, aged 85.

Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera has published his last interview, recorded in August, in which Cardinal Martini says: "The Church is tired... our prayer rooms are empty."

Martini, once tipped as a future pope, urged the Church to recognise its errors and to embark on a radical path of change, beginning with the Pope.

Discuss? Smile
Indeed. They could start by lifting the bans on the marriage of priests.
No other church besides the catholics have such strict rules for their priests. Those who choose to live out monastic lives, can do so, but I'm not sure how the church is in a position to forbid his own clergymen to marry and have children while keeping their position as clergymen.
This also thins out the ranks of the faithful in the church. I'm sure after priests are allowed to marry and have children, they will pass on their conviction to their own children, and catholicism will have a steady supply of devout worshippers and clergymen.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Basically the RC church is just the last vestiges of the Old Roman Empire...as such it is realistically 2000 years behind the times.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(September 2, 2012 at 7:23 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Basically the RC church is just the last vestiges of the Old Roman Empire...as such it is realistically 2000 years behind the times.

Wait, what?
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(September 1, 2012 at 9:16 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Indeed. They could start by lifting the bans on the marriage of priests.
No other church besides the catholics have such strict rules for their priests. Those who choose to live out monastic lives, can do so, but I'm not sure how the church is in a position to forbid his own clergymen to marry and have children while keeping their position as clergymen.
This also thins out the ranks of the faithful in the church. I'm sure after priests are allowed to marry and have children, they will pass on their conviction to their own children, and catholicism will have a steady supply of devout worshippers and clergymen.

And Jesus said unto them, "The sons of this world marry, and are given in marriage. But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection."
— Luke 20:34-36

Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others — and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”
— Matthew 19:10-12

"It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband .... For I would that all men were even as I myself .... I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn with lust.”
— 1 Corinthians 7:1-9

"But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, they that have wives should live as though they had none."
— 1 Corinthians 7:29

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1242 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1955 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  Attended church for the first time in years Aegon 23 1793 August 8, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Jesus : The Early years chimp3 139 21849 April 1, 2018 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4156 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Brazilian woman has spent years praying to Lord of the Rings doll Cyberman 41 5592 January 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  End of Times and career mcolafson 67 13958 October 8, 2016 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Lifespan 1000 years to 80? TubbyTubby 85 10170 May 10, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Ends of times prophecy that I can't shake Won2blv 68 10312 April 3, 2016 at 3:00 am
Last Post: robvalue
  [extremely serious]The Truth Behind Christianity. Stephanie113 5 2220 August 19, 2015 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4