Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh god, someone please help me refute this video.
Oh god, someone please help me refute this video.
I don't know why I do this but I debate with people on Facebook about issues like the separation of church and state. I have a friend of mine who has used this video against me several times. I can't seem to get past this with logical arguments and I don't have time to chase down all this bullshit. I can do some but this is a lot of crap. Help please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlfEdJNn1...r_embedded#!
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Oh god, someone please help me refute this video.
You know where in the world there is no division between the church and state?
Use it as a good example.
Iran.
Turkey.
Where else?
[wiki help]: Yemen, Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Mauritania, Oman, Iran, Nigeria.

Do you want the US to become like those places?
(September 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm)pocaracas Wrote: You know where in the world there is no division between the church and state?
Use it as a good example.
Iran.
Turkey.
Where else?
[wiki help]: Yemen, Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Mauritania, Oman, Iran, Nigeria.

Do you want the US to become like those places?

And, annoyingly enough, "Great" Britain.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
WOW This is the best youtube video I've ever seen!!! Thanks Ziploc that was a surprize! I am alittle prouder to be an American now Smile
Turkey is secular.
(September 10, 2012 at 6:44 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: Turkey is secular.
Right...
That's why it'll always be a candidate to the EU... Tongue
(September 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Do you want the US to become like those places?

I thought it already was..!

(September 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm)Tobie Wrote: And, annoyingly enough, "Great" Britain.

I think that's the primary reason for why religion here has faded. We've let it boil and bubble away to itself and now all the steam's gone. All that's left is the occasional flatulent exhalation, the stuff of comedy.

As for the "Great" Britain thing, it's Great as in size. It indicates that we're bigger than Brittany. That's all. Of course we're great for all sorts of reasons but none of that is reflected in the name.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
David Barton is disengenuous. Chris Rodda has done an excellent job of combatting the myth of the United States having been founded as a Christian nation. I recommend her book "Liars for Jesus: The Religious Right's Alternate Version of American History."

She also runs a blog. Here's a link to her blog, already filtered for David Barton content.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/rodda/?s=dav...on&x=0&y=0

Are you aware that David Barton's latest book, "The Jefferson Lies", was pulled by its publisher due to its many historical errors? Also, other conservative Christians such as Warren Throckmorton have actually led the charge against Barton's abuses. http://wthrockmorton.com/

Share this with your FB buddies. If they still insist on the Christian nation bullshit, at least you know what type of idiot you are dealing with.
All right, I'll try to do some basic points:

* The Aitken Bible was the first Bible to be printed on U.S. Soil, but it was not published by the U.S. Congress. It was only endorsed, and even then mainly as a way of helping out the burgeoning U.S. Printing industry.
* I have found no evidence to support the assumption that the painting of "The Landing of Columbus" was done to promote Christianity, and besides, if this is supposed to endorse Christianity today, why not also use it to support slavery like Columbus inflicted on the Taino people of "San Salvador."
* The way I've looked at the whole "church services in the Capitol," It seems like they're really just ecumenical events, and there's no evidence that Thomas Jefferson had any role in making it happen, nor in ordering the Marine Band to play the services, although he did attend on occasion.
* James Garfield stopped preaching at the time he went to Congress in 1862.
* About Thomas Jefferson and the Kaskaskia, look here.
*When he says "Seminary or Bible school degrees," he interprets the phrase very loosely. To hear him speak, all Harvard or Yale degrees are in divinity.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
+1 cato123

One specific point I'm aware of @0:42: all books printed at the time for use in schools had Congressional endorsement. The fact that the bible was amongst those books is not an indication that the government endorsed any particular religion, rather that the government wanted a particular curriculum in place.

Generally, I give this vid a big, slow 'so what?' right up the arse. The individual beliefs of the founding fathers is irrelevant to the point of the superiority of secularism over theocracy. To suggest so is nothing more than an argument from authority.
Sum ergo sum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 1020 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2778 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4626 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell Der/die AtheistIn 36 2341 March 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Is it possible for someone to take away the judgement from God? verbral 31 4240 November 12, 2016 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Someone stole the body! Jehanne 423 44251 July 10, 2016 at 11:27 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Christians: Please Explain Aractus 43 9815 December 10, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Photo Christian Memes/Pics Because Reasons -- Please add your favorites stop_pushing_me 29 13718 September 23, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Please Explain Shuffle 26 5865 August 26, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Shuffle
  By all means, please take Christianity seriously Cato 13 3764 June 6, 2015 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Spooky