Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist or Anti-Theist
Atheist or Anti-Theist
I am debating if I am an Atheist or an Anti-theist if somebody could help me, that would be great.
My 'beliefs':
  1. Religion is the spawn of evil and the greatest cause of it.
  2. People can believe anything they want as long as it does not contradict reality, For example Believing in creationism over the fact of evolutionary.
  3. There is no deity or magical sky daddy, but is open to one if it can be proven to exist.
  4. Reglion is outdated and needs to go as a believe system.
  5. There will be no peace on this planet until all religion is taught in history classes.
And the list goes on.
Is that Atheistic or Anti-theistic?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Atheist or Anti-Theist
Number 1 says anti-theist.
I can't understand your number 2.
Number 3 says atheist, but then goes on to agnostic.
Number 4 says anti-theist again
Number 5.... isn't that done already? Egyptians, greeks, romans, norse(very little).... yes, we should learn more about the mesopotamic people and all that middle-eastern area where so much trouble boils...
Atheist or Anti-Theist
I waffle on this issue too. Some believers are fine and in touch with reality. But for those believers who want to sugar-coat people's suffering as their way to eternal salvation... Well, that was one justification for slavery. It's the zealots that scare me and make me think religion does more harm than good.
when the bishop of berlin insisted that homosexuality was "unnatural", the smal catholic comunity of berlin protested against his remarks and demanded an apology.
when the bishop of (i forgot the parish, was a newsstory of last year) demanded from catholic teens that they reject sex-education, reject sex untill the are married and convince other teens to do the same, the members protested and demanded the bishops resign.
when the head of the german lutheran church Margot Käßman, was caught driving drunk, she didn`t try to talk her way out put resigned and apologised.

ever since catholic scandels have repeatedly rocked germany, many catholics left the church and joined the lutherans - wich are quite reasonable people here.

so in conclusion, the behavior of my christian fellow citizens doesn´t give me a reason to be anti-theist.
if there are religious comunities wich give me a reason to be anti-theist it are the muslim comunities, especialy the salafists
Atheist or Anti-Theist
Same here, but I would say for me something more specific. I am an Atheist as long as it refers to all religions. As long as it concerns Christianity I would say I'm more of an Anti-Christian rather than Atheist.

To me, there seems to be an ambiguity in the term anti-theist itself. It seems it could mean two different things: a) opposition to the assertion that a deity exists is a true statement (i.e. the positive assertion that there is no god, or that believing the assertion that there is one makes no sense), or, b) opposition to theism and theistic religions, many of which appear to be harmful and oppressive to both believer and non-believer alike. (i.e. against the belief, or against believers and believing)

I don't think that in practice the distinction needs to be made, as the typical anti-theist likely employs a mix of both. Still, there is some ambiguity as to the term's meaning. (Along other lines as well; is a strong atheist naturally anti-theist?)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I think the term 'anti-theist' carries with it an interest to act. Maybe I'm wrong on that one, I don't know, but I feel the term would be suitable for e.g. the four horsemen of atheism who are/were actively on the frontlines seeking to deconvert and make things 'right'.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(October 1, 2012 at 11:51 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I think the term 'anti-theist' carries with it an interest to act. Maybe I'm wrong on that one, I don't know, but I feel the term would be suitable for e.g. the four horsemen of atheism who are/were actively on the frontlines seeking to deconvert and make things 'right'.

I consider myself an antitheist, but I don't really 'act' (outside this forum, I mean). I don't think all religious people are insane, or anything, but I do think that religion has a negative impact on society.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Quote:Is that Atheistic or Anti-theistic?

If god exists is a question which can be debated endlessly....there is no evidence for him but that never stops someone who believes in fairy tales.

But religion DOES exist, as a creation of humanity, and for millenia it has been the most oppressive force known to man and we would be better off without it.

So the question is almost pointless. God is irrelevant but religion is dangerous.
(October 1, 2012 at 11:55 am)Darkstar Wrote:
(October 1, 2012 at 11:51 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I think the term 'anti-theist' carries with it an interest to act. Maybe I'm wrong on that one, I don't know, but I feel the term would be suitable for e.g. the four horsemen of atheism who are/were actively on the frontlines seeking to deconvert and make things 'right'.

I consider myself an antitheist, but I don't really 'act' (outside this forum, I mean). I don't think all religious people are insane, or anything, but I do think that religion has a negative impact on society.

Why do you consider yourself an anti-theist then? I'm not comparing you with my description, but instead I'm wondering how you would define the term.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2247 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 453 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2004 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2030 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18649 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3504 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11920 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 150769 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12785 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1116 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89