Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Churches, Sects, and Cults
Churches, Sects, and Cults
I just wanted to share some seemingly pointless information I learned in Psych of Religion about Churches, Sects, and Cults and what defines them. It isn't complicated, but it's kind of interesting.

A church is a religious group that accepts the social environment in which it exists. In more plain language, a church is widely accepted by the host culture in which it resides. In America, protestantism would be a church. It is generally accepted by the whole and is consistent with the culture's values (maybe not traditional protestantism, but what forms we have of it today). Under this topic, I think I should quickly explain that denominations are small changes made in the church that are still accepted by the host culture.

A sect is a religious group the rejects the social environment in which it exists. Now, it's not as extreme as that definition makes it seem. A sect doesn't necessarily share the same values as the host culture. This causes some friction between the religious group and the host culture, but we accept the group as a society because we're more tolerant to differing religions in this day and age. Judaism or Islam might be a sect in America (following the previous example).

Then there are cults. Cults are novel forms of religion that are not evolved from churches or other religious groups. They typically completely reject the values of the host culture and holds the host culture in distrust. The host culture generally holds the cult in distrust as well. The two group hold a lot of tension with each other.

The main difference between all of these is how well the religious group and host culture accept one another. Now, knowing all of this, I've noticed that many people refer to religions as cults here on the forum. Now, this is blatant reductionism is really isn't correct, can you make any arguments for it? I believe (and this is mostly for fun) that with the knowledge we are all now armed with, you can. If you assign the forum as a culture and the religions of our theistic members as a "religious group", you might get away with it. We generally act hostile to the particular brand of theist who comes in here with their ideas and demand that they are correct. There is much tension between these groups, so on that point, you could get away with calling it a cult. However, these religions come from other religious ideas, which is the opposite of what our definition of cult. Isn't psychology fun!?

I have been thinking about this since I took my exam on Wednesday, because I realized I didn't remember what made a denomination a denomination, so I committed the entire concept to memory.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
RE: Churches, Sects, and Cults
Meh, they are all cults to me.
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cults arewethereyet 13 992 February 19, 2021 at 12:27 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Churches need to be taxed Foxaèr 12 648 July 16, 2020 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11138 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Montreal is taxing churches Foxaèr 4 674 June 23, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7216 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 2919 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Do Catholics have most boring churches/ liturgy? Fake Messiah 55 8874 October 22, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Bill Maher Says It. Tax the Fucking Churches! Minimalist 29 5468 April 20, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt? vaginahouse 341 60722 December 25, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Anyone very educated in the catholic churches history? LoveLogicalLife 21 4368 August 11, 2014 at 11:29 am
Last Post: ManMachine