Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living with Anxiety Disorder and Aspergers
Living with Anxiety Disorder and Aspergers
Hello freethinkers,

Over the past few days or so, I have wanted to tell you about my two disorders and how they affect me. So here I go.

Ever since I was young, I'd have many fits and heated, unresolved tantrums about various subjects (like not getting my way; the normal little boy kind of stuff). it wasn't until I began to seriously threaten my parents - like going into full detail on how I wanted to kill them or kill myself, and so on, that my parents sent me to see a family therapist. around that time I was then diagnosed with anxiety disorder (I must've been 10 or so).

After I became an atheist in the spring of this year, I suffered from a terrible depression - one that almost involved a suicide attempt. Right after I told my parents I was going to commit suicide (I told them in detail what I was going to do), they sent me to an adolescent psych ward 30 miles from where I live. I stayed there for almost two weeks.

You might be wondering why I became depressed. If you notice, it was right after I became an atheist - so you might come to the conclusion that not believing in god stressed the hell out of me. No - that was not true - what stressed the hell out of me was living with a family who deeply believed in god, doubted evolution, took the bible VERY seriously and hated homosexuals.

I was never diagnosed with asperger's syndrome. I just discovered what the characteristics were and said to myself - "I can totally relate to these symptoms - I HAVE to have asperger's!"

Living with these nuisances bring a challenge to me everyday. I still have not told my parents or my family that I'm an atheist. I am forced to go to church every week (Thank goodness for mobile devices and Wi-Fi!), and I am bombarded by fundamental christianity all over my house.
After I move out, find a good job and a place, the living atmosphere should be VERY different.
RE: Living with Anxiety Disorder and Aspergers
Don't be alarmed to be fucked up, we all are, but at least I'm not a religious nutbag, just a nut.... Big Grin
Quote:"I can totally relate to these symptoms - I HAVE to have asperger's!"

Be careful of self-diagnosis. If you think you have asperger and you want help you need to visit someone who is qualified to help you. But just thinking you have the symptoms doesn't mean you have Asperger's. False positives are extremely common in self-diagnosis.

Quote:I still have not told my parents or my family that I'm an atheist. I am forced to go to church every week (Thank goodness for mobile devices and Wi-Fi!), and I am bombarded by fundamental christianity all over my house.

I'm really sorry for you. I hope you will soon find a job and a place to live on your own. Your parents definitely aren't helping you.

If it helps, try to find the funny side of the whole religious mess. It shouldn't be hard, fundamentalist christianity is frequently utterly ridicolous. When you hear somereligious bullshit in church, post it on the forum, and laugh it off (when your fundie relatives can't hear you, unless they have a good sense of humor).[/quote]
I might've been a bit naive on diagnosing myself...
For the most part, I bottle it all up.

I occasionally have an outburst here, but otherwise I've got it under "control", medication doesn't really help, it just gives me violent mood swings.

Thus is my burden until I re-embrace oblivion. The one and only existence I have, and I'm crippled socially by a combination of mental illnesses. Fantastic. Hooray.
Just had a ridiculous anxiety episode, so I can relate. Not so much on the Asperger's, though. I can interact with people. I usually just don't want to at all.
I'm an anxious person in general. I doubt that I have an anxiety disorder but the mental illness that I do have I think can have doses of anxiety with it.
I've been going through some psychiatric help myself; I'm on the autism spectrum (professionally diagnosed, I might add) and was bullied as a child, and, in the years since, I've been suffering flashbacks (Which I think may be representations of PTSD) and depression. The depression has been professionally diagnosed. My therapist doesn't deny that I may have PTSD, but she is quick to note that I often get anxiety attacks over other things, like a teacher repeating herself for three weeks in a row, so she has diagnosed me with something called "Adjustment disorder."
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I can relate to the anxiety as well. I've had panic attacks, they are not fun. I've also been in psych wards, the first when I was 15 after a suicide attempt. That pretty much sucked. I told my mom in detail how I was planning on killing myself, and she told me to go to bed and I would feel better in the morning. So at least your parents were concerned/engaged enough, took you seriously, and got you help before you tried to kill yourself. Have you thought about asking your parents to see a therapist? A therapist can be a good mediator between you and your parents. If being surrounded by religiosity is contributing to your illness, the best thing would be to stop being exposed to religion (easier said than done when you are a minor living at home). I'm not suggesting you sit your parents down on your own, but perhaps with a professional, they would be more open? I don't really know, but it might be an avenue to pursue. If for nothing else, than to have a professional willing to advise you and who can't talk to your parents without your consent.
I'm so sorry you have had to go through all of that. About anxiety, the news is it really can get better! Although I suppose you know that, it sounds like you have had it for a while.
I also have severe anxiety. 15 years ago I could hardly leave my house. Going to the grocery store for milk felt traumatic. Now, with medication and therapy, I'm able to do most things pretty normally. I still get breakthrough panic attacks, and "freak out" easier than your average person, it's a huge improvement.

How long until you will be old enough to move away form your parents? Looking at the light at the end of the tunnel may be something positive to focus on to keep you from going bonkers in the meantime, if you are unwilling or unable to tell them how you feel. Which I totally understand.

Good luck!
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Avoidant Personality Disorder Ahriman 12 995 October 20, 2022 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Aspergers Syndrome Edwardo Piet 53 4958 September 25, 2016 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  "I may be fat, but I beat my eating disorder" Napoléon 225 33087 February 18, 2016 at 3:03 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Social Anxiety With High IQ, Empathic Abilities, And Intelligence Foxaèr 6 1555 January 28, 2016 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Polygamy vs. Communal Living rexbeccarox 14 2107 November 30, 2015 at 1:52 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Would you ever take anti anxiety medication? DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 105 8914 November 22, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Marriage is a man and a woman living together rado84 46 7823 July 18, 2015 at 7:48 am
Last Post: abaris
  Cost of living, OP/ED........ Brian37 20 2966 February 14, 2015 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Sad Living in My car In a Church Parking Lot... Ami529 86 13752 July 7, 2014 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Living in the Ghetto LivingNumbers6.626 6 1838 June 12, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: John V