Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun little language exercise.
Fun little language exercise.
Let's compile a list of words that include a prefix and a root word that have a bias towards some position, that lacks either its opposite or neutral (just the base root word, for example) in common use. I'd kind of like to be able to add some of these words and ideas into my lexicon. Maybe we "coin" something that sticks and becomes part of the vernacular. I'm going to do this in another forum and will compare lists to see who's cooler.

Examples:
Overwhelmed - Underwhelmed; whelming.
Inevitable - evitable.
Dyslexic - lexic.
Religious but open minded about the arguments of atheists? You may have spent your whole life learning about the arguments for religion. May I present to you 10 segmented hours for the case against it?
RE: Fun little language exercise.
Disgruntled. Never hear of gruntled employees, do ya?
Not sure if I can participate in english language.
(January 29, 2013 at 7:13 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: Not sure if I can participate in english language.

Me neither. XD
Unterbewertet - Überbewertet - bewertet/bewerten

(underrated - overrated -rate/rated)

could work when the translated word is equal in it`s use in the grammer of both languages.
I'd have to say, currently, the other forum won this one hands down. Here's their list:

Inept/adept - Ept
Inert - Ert, Adert
Extricate - Intricate (verb, pronounced in-tri-CATE)
Submit - Mit, Supermit
Engulf - gulf, exgulf
Inhale, exhale - hale
Preliminary - liminary, postliminary
Predict - dict, postdict

I think it might be fun to try and come up with suitable definitions for these "words." I might give that a spin soon.
Religious but open minded about the arguments of atheists? You may have spent your whole life learning about the arguments for religion. May I present to you 10 segmented hours for the case against it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IngvNUaWvck

There ya go. Someone has even written a song about the topic.

Bound root morphemes ftw?
Nemo me impune lacessit.
Ahaha. I don't know what that last sentence means, but the video is perfect! Thanks. Excellent harmonies as well.
(January 31, 2013 at 8:45 pm)Golbez Wrote: Ahaha. I don't know what that last sentence means, but the video is perfect! Thanks. Excellent harmonies as well.

disgruntled

'gruntle' is a bound root morpheme. It's the root of a word, but can't exist alone without prefixes/suffixes (it's bound). It's a morpheme (can't be broken down further meaning wise, it's the smallest unit of meaning). 'Disgruntled' has 3 morphemes. 'dis-' 'gruntle' and '-ed'

Look up 'list of bound root morphemes.' That's how you'd find a comprehensive list of that particular type of word (which is part of what you were after).

edit:Unpaired word seems to be the term for words without it's opposite.
edit 2: lexic isnt the root of dyslexic, lexia would be I'm fairly sure.
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  learning a certain language to communicate to believers and the religious Quill01 13 951 January 8, 2024 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: neil
  Religious people get very little reps, it's xenophobia and religionism. WinterHold 353 25523 July 12, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Little green men just got real. ignoramus 87 7108 July 7, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1146 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Question regarding language Macoleco 4 597 June 6, 2021 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Fun with computers. Brian37 34 2253 October 21, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Fun phrases from other countries/cultures. Gawdzilla Sama 3 334 August 3, 2020 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Are parents allowed to stay with little kids if infected with covid 19 ? Megabullshit 30 1808 April 3, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Happy Birthday, Ya Tough Little Ship!! BrianSoddingBoru4 12 1238 September 28, 2019 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It's a little bit strange to....... Cod 8 1857 July 7, 2019 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4