Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
atheist vs agnostics.
atheist vs agnostics.
What are the big differences that separate the two. My understanding has always been along the lines agnostics don't really care either way and atheist have a LACK of belief in god or gods. Then there is different levels of atheism . Can you be atheist and agnostic at the same time?
RE: atheist vs agnostics.
Sure. Atheism (and theism) refer to what you believe, while agnosticism and gnosticism go to what you know. So you can be an agnostic atheist, agnostic theist, gnostic atheist or a gnostic theist. Arguably the majority of atheists would come under the category of agnostics as well, since they don't believe in god/s but they don't claim to know they don't exist.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 7, 2013 at 1:09 am)Stimbo Wrote: Sure. Atheism (and theism) refer to what you believe, while agnosticism and gnosticism go to what you know. So you can be an agnostic atheist, agnostic theist, gnostic atheist or a gnostic theist. Arguably the majority of atheists would come under the category of agnostics as well, since they don't believe in god/s but they don't claim to know they don't exist.

Thanks, that makes alot of sense. This shit has been driving me bananas lately. Whew glad that's understood now. Lol
Any atheist that isn't partly agnostic is unreasonable as they believe they can 100% predict the future.
(February 7, 2013 at 1:21 am)justin Wrote: Thanks, that makes alot of sense. This shit has been driving me bananas lately. Whew glad that's understood now. Lol

No problem. It's a matter of language use and semantics, really. The belief/knowledge positions are considerably less rigidly defined than many people think, or would have you think.

(February 7, 2013 at 1:29 am)naimless Wrote: Any atheist that isn't partly agnostic is unreasonable as they believe they can 100% predict the future.

Check out the User Title underneath my name. Wink
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 7, 2013 at 1:30 am)Stimbo Wrote:
(February 7, 2013 at 1:21 am)justin Wrote: Thanks, that makes alot of sense. This shit has been driving me bananas lately. Whew glad that's understood now. Lol

No problem. It's a matter of language use and semantics, really. The belief/knowledge positions are considerably less rigidly defined than many people think, or would have you think.

Well things that throw me off is the sense of the word. Like theory. When someone says evolution is just a theory i wanna kick them in the teeth for that. Under theory is gives a definition for hypothesis. Which fucks with logic and i end up throwing a perfectly good dictionary across the room everytime i see that.
Sidenote: pardon my rants i do that sometime
I know how you feel. The "only a theory" thing sets my teeth on edge as well, and it's surprising just how often it keeps popping up. Information age my codlings!
Isn't that supposed to be "my foetid codpiece"?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Only after I've been wearing it for a fortnight.
Quote:The "only a theory" thing sets my teeth on edge as well, and it's surprising just how often it keeps popping up.

There are a lot of idiots out there, Stim.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1187 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  All kind of Agnostics people Eclectic 4 511 August 25, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27036 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Agnostics Excited Penguin 398 35055 August 8, 2016 at 12:27 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Rant against anti-atheist agnostics. Whateverist 338 57905 February 21, 2015 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: comet
Question To Agnostics, question for you *Deidre* 66 18549 March 16, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Bittersmart
  Atheists Vs Agnostics Rahul 16 3727 October 5, 2013 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Rahul
  Atheists Claim Agnostics are Atheist Ranger Mike 19 7161 June 3, 2013 at 10:17 am
Last Post: The Magic Pudding
  Homeless man shows atheists/agnostics are more generous Creed of Heresy 9 4647 May 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Questions for Athiests/Agnostics Eternity 16 7626 June 8, 2011 at 1:39 am
Last Post: tackattack