Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agnostic vs Atheist
Agnostic vs Atheist
Both atheists and agnostics view that conclusions should be based on logic, proofs, and evidence.

Agnostics say they cannot be sure whether god exists or not. This is the correct viewpoint to take, however, according to personal experience, many maintain illogical beliefs, such as in luck. They tend to be agnostics because they cannot decide which position to take and try not to think too hard about it. Agnostics typically fall in the ‘I am unsure’ category.

Atheists on the other hand fall in the ‘I am sure’ category because they solidly state their beliefs and welcome challenge. For these reasons many would be agnostics tend to call themselves atheists.

Thus, I would like to amend the definition of atheism with the following point.

Atheists do believe that there could have been a ‘god’ who created the universe and ‘works in mysterious ways’. However, since an infinite amount of these types of propositions can be made the probability of any of these propositions being correct is infinitesimally small. For example: one variant is that god has the colour red instead of no colour, etc. Therefore, it is illogical to concern one’s self with any particular religion.

Aside: Mathematicians may have noticed that there are an infinite amount of religious propositions being multiplied by an infinitely small number. Surely the infinities cancel. However, one must compare the relative sizes of infinities. Religious explanations are just a small subset of all explanations. Therefore, the total probability of all religious propositions is infinitely small. Similar to comparing an infinite set of integers with an infinite set of fractions.

Though an infinitely small probability is normally equated to 0 this claim cannot be made until everything is known.

With this definition I can now say truthfully I am an atheist.

Would you agree with my points? if not why?

this was taken from http://excequence.co.nf/articles.html
RE: Agnostic vs Atheist
I'm going to correct you: You can be agnostic and atheist.

Agnostic/gnostic is a knowledge position.
Atheist/theist is a God position.

Agnostic atheist = Doesn't claim to know, but doesn't believe.
Gnostic atheist = Claims to know, and doesn't believe. (Claims there is no God)

Agnostic theist = Doesn't claim to know, but believes.
Gnostic theist = Claims to know, and believes.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
(March 28, 2013 at 7:08 pm)Joel Wrote: I'm going to correct you:
You can be agnostic and atheist.

agnostic atheism u mean?
(March 28, 2013 at 7:10 pm)lewlking Wrote:
(March 28, 2013 at 7:08 pm)Joel Wrote: I'm going to correct you:
You can be agnostic and atheist.

agnostic atheism u mean?

I provided a handy reference guide for you.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
Nope.

Atheists say they cannot be sure if god exists or not. Agnostic simply means without knowledge and can be applied to theists and atheist alike.

Atheists also do not have a 'belief', they have a lack of belief.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
so according to my points what would i be?
(March 28, 2013 at 7:07 pm)lewlking Wrote: Both atheists and agnostics view that conclusions should be based on logic, proofs, and evidence.
Some, perhaps most.

Quote:Agnostics say they cannot be sure whether god exists or not. This is the correct viewpoint to take, however, according to personal experience, many maintain illogical beliefs, such as in luck. They tend to be agnostics because they cannot decide which position to take and try not to think too hard about it. Agnostics typically fall in the ‘I am unsure’ category.
Correct? Where does that fall into whether or not one believes or does not know? Plenty of agnostics have written extensively on the subject, not sure it's a matter of not thinking too hard.

Quote:Atheists on the other hand fall in the ‘I am sure’ category because they solidly state their beliefs and welcome challenge. For these reasons many would be agnostics tend to call themselves atheists.
That would be gnostics, not atheists - but, in case you meant it a different way, an atheist would be sure that they didn't believe.

Quote:Thus, I would like to amend the definition of atheism with the following point.

Atheists do believe that there could have been a ‘god’ who created the universe and ‘works in mysterious ways’.
By definition...they do not.

Quote: However, since an infinite amount of these types of propositions can be made the probability of any of these propositions being correct is infinitesimally small.
granted.

Quote: For example: one variant is that god has the colour red instead of no colour, etc.
Some faiths propose an "invisible red line" - giggles abound.

Quote:Therefore, it is illogical to concern one’s self with any particular religion.
It may be, but not for the reason proposed above.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I can't tell you what you are.

If you don't believe there's a God, but you say you don't know for sure; you're an agnostic atheist.
Do you

A) Believe there's no God?

or

B) Not believe there's a God?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(March 28, 2013 at 7:16 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Do you

A) Believe there's no God?

or

B) Not believe there's a God?

C) the possibility exists

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9370 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1393 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5913 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3036 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3390 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25435 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3652 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Albert Einstein the Agnostic MattB 21 6136 February 23, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: MattB
  Atheist or Agnostic? datc 126 37237 April 6, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  Agnostic: a pointless term? robvalue 206 34667 February 16, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Whateverist