Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God Loves Me, Too
God Loves Me, Too
If your God is really as good and loving as you say, then God should love me even though I am an atheist and a lesbian. I didn't choose either. Why would God punish me for that? And God should love sex and love that we have it, because sex feels good and is good for us. He shouldn't put all these weird restrictions on it.

Belief in those restrictions just makes me think that the point of religion is to control people, and by remaining theists and maintaining those values, you are allowing yourself to be controlled.
RE: God Loves Me, Too
All these weird restrictions? The restrictions seem few and not at all weird to me.
(April 4, 2013 at 11:42 am)John V Wrote: All these weird restrictions? The restrictions seem few and not at all weird to me.

You should not cut your hair around your temples and leave your beard be, you cant touch any part of a pig, you cannot wear blended fabrics, not eat shellfish, being in contact with women on their period, do I need to go on?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

And you have to believe in God... pretty big restriction there. Tongue
Cunt
When we talk about "God", we are talking about what absolute morality at the ultimate level, would do. Humans who believe Atheists or homosexuals ought to be hated, do so based on their belief in religion and their particular version of a partial vision of that absolute morality.

I agree that if there is a God, he would not hate Atheists or homosexuals. It may be possible (though I don't believe so), that he dislikes their decision, but it's not something that makes all their goodness and praiseworthiness go out the window.

This notion of amplifying the evil of x belief vs all other praiseworthy beliefs and actions Atheists have, is another thing as well. It's highly irrational.

Atheism doesn't define Atheists. It's just one small part of who they are, but since society treats the belief in God as the most important belief, it feels so defining in their eyes, and then atheists are on the defense to the condemnation of society.

It's tough. It hurts. All this hate. But what doesn't break you, hopefully, will make you stronger.
(April 4, 2013 at 11:49 am)Kayenneh Wrote: You should not cut your hair around your temples and leave your beard be, you cant touch any part of a pig, you cannot wear blended fabrics, not eat shellfish, being in contact with women on their period, do I need to go on?
The discussion is about restrictions on sex.
I was talking about the restrictions of being in a heterosexual, married relationship in order to have sex. That doesn't make sense. How are you supposed to know if you are sexually compatible if you do not have sex before you are married? You could be making a terrible mistake!
(April 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: I was talking about the restrictions of being in a heterosexual, married relationship in order to have sex.
That's two restrictions, neither of which is weird.
Quote:That doesn't make sense. How are you supposed to know if you are sexually compatible if you do not have sex before you are married? You could be making a terrible mistake!
It makes perfect sense. I'm married 22 years and having the best sex of my life. You learn about each other as you go.
(April 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: ...if you do not have sex before you are married? You could be making a terrible mistake!
Only if you think sex is the most important part of a married relationship.

Atheists always say,"Yes but I can be good without God." But these same people, generally, are not good because they love God or their neighbor as themselves. Their good is self-referential and not true good. They are good only to secure their own benefit, i.e. tit for tat, and are motivated only by preserving earthly goods. They love themselves and the things of this world, like reputation, material gain, and hedonistic pleasures.

Hell is hell, in part because the good refuse to define their lives by love of self and the world. People in Hell choose to go and remain there because they continue to pursue what they believe are the highest goods. They believe falsities are truths and evils are goods because they do not believe in God. And if asked, they would say they like it there because they get to pursue all the things they loved in life, even though they fail to attain them, since it places them in constant conflict with the other residents of Hell.

Despite this, God's mercy extends even into the depths of Hell. First, he does not take away free-will or intellect, since these are what make us human. Secondly, He prevents people in Hell from totally destroying each other from their need to control and use each other in the pursuit of what the mistakenly believe is good and true.
(April 4, 2013 at 12:07 pm)John V Wrote: The discussion is about restrictions on sex.

Oops, got carried away, sorry Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is God hiding? or are our eyes too inferior? WinterHold 49 5122 February 10, 2023 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  But God loves us. ignoramus 23 1615 May 29, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Too Funny! Minimalist 14 2469 November 23, 2017 at 6:59 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20844 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  [4.1 SECOND Conversion] (without weird fonts too!) ignoramus 59 5031 January 22, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Am I just being too cynical? Eclipse 10 2368 February 9, 2016 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Religious friend dumps pile of shit in my facebook inbox. Too thick to tear apart. DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 28 8497 November 30, 2015 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Almost Too Funny For Words Minimalist 9 2912 November 4, 2015 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Why it is not too late to turn to the Flying Spaghetti Monster Rampant.A.I. 67 13303 July 25, 2015 at 5:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Ha! Too True of all the fuckers Minimalist 13 3932 June 15, 2015 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd