Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports
Sports
Is there anyone here besides me that is interested in sports? If so, I am wondering if it is possible for the powers that be to start a sports forum. Just a suggestion.

P.S., GO GARDS! Angel Cloud
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Sports
All sports, but especially UFC right now.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I know I'm strange, but I have no interest in any kind of sport. If one team scores more goals/points/thingies than another I don't see how that can make any difference to me. I used to climb mountains (when I was young and fit) but the point was I did the climbing I didn't watch someone else do it.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I figure that most sports fans have tried one or more of the sports that they follow. I played baseball, football, basketball and soccer when I was young. I follow pro football, basketball, baseball and hockey. Not nearly as closely as I used to, but I browse sports sites and watch games occasionally. I love breaking down numbers and statistics and sports provides those in abundance.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 7, 2013 at 5:40 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I know I'm strange, but I have no interest in any kind of sport. If one team scores more goals/points/thingies than another I don't see how that can make any difference to me. I used to climb mountains (when I was young and fit) but the point was I did the climbing I didn't watch someone else do it.

I agree with this to a certain extent, I don't know how football teams work in america but in england the whole concept seems ridiculous.

You get a team named Manchester United, because they represent Manchester. But the manager is scottish, several players aren't even from England nevermind manchester.
I hear of football teams in england being bought all the time by random rich people, they should really just be called "russian oil tycoon united" or "random asian billionaire FC".
This isn't just the end of how stupid it is though, the majority of the big football clubs fans aren't even from the cities the clubs represent.

So the end result is you get a guy cheering for a team which represents a city he doesn't come from, played by players who aren't even from the same country, managed by a guy also not from the same country, owned by a rich guy also not even from the same country.

I'm the biggest hypocrite though because I own two Barcelona football tops and I've never even been there and I just wear them to go to the gym because they are one of the best clubs and I enjoy watching youtube clips of the skill involved in the games, but I would never bother to sit through a full match.

UFC on the other hand there's no stupid concept of cheering for a city or place, you can just watch and be neutral or just cheer for your favorite fighter or just who you think deserves to win, its also shorter than a football match which last way too long in my opinion.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I don't go out of my to watch any. But I do like watching the skill in whatever sport it is. Makes it a tad awkward when everyone is watching their team and I start complimenting the other team on how well the are playing.
drunk sidewalk rolling.
I am not a sports fan. The only sport I have occasionally shown any mild interest in watching is figure skating.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
F1. The only sport I've ever enjoyed watching.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
I love and follow most team sports, although I'm not a big basketball fan and watching hockey on TV is frustrating.

I'd like to see a dedicated sports forum if there is sufficient interest.

Baseball: Reds
American Football: Bengals
Association Football: NUFC, Inter, Crew
Hockey: Whaler-canes
Collegiate: Buckeyes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vote - Sports Section Rayaan 59 14073 September 14, 2013 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: festive1
  Sports section CapnAwesome 51 11728 September 10, 2013 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Sports Napoléon 38 10860 June 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm