Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deism challenged (& Theism as collateral damage)
Deism challenged (& Theism as collateral damage)
For us to experience the phenomenon of consciousness, we need to be in the presence of time. This follows because for consciousness to work, it needs to actualise; to follow a sequence of actions, such as emotions and thoughts. All this can only happen if it's subject to time. Therefore, if we are experiencing consciousness, we must be in a temporal environment.

Now, the Deistic god (I reason) is one who would fit the category of being a "creative force" and to be creative I'm assuming would take a sort of consciousness where thoughts can freely dwell in order to be able to posses the property of being creative. Therefore, I would argue against a Deistic god as follows:

1) God is a conscious Being
2) A conscious being requires a temporal environment to be conscious
3) If (2) is true, then God requires time to be conscious
4) God is outside of time
C) Therefore, God cannot be a conscious Being

Of course, I say in the title that Theism is collaterally damaged because to be omniscient & omnibenevolent, one must have a conscience. Therefore, this argument certainly refutes any sort of Theistic god that is jealous, merciful, punishing, loving, angry, genocidal etc. because these expressions of character require a conscious.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Deism challenged (& Theism as collateral damage)
Tiny quibble: it looks like you mean to use "consciousness" (the faculty of being conscious) where you're using "conscience" (an intuitive "moral compass").

Onward to your argument:

I think a deist could try to rebut your argument in a couple of ways:

1) Reject Premise #2 by claiming that their deity has a different sort of consciousness, such as a transcendent and/or timeless capital-A Awareness more like the "timeless" or transcendent state some mystics and/or users of entheogens (LSD, DMT, Ayahuasca, etc.) claim to experience.

2) Reject Premise #4, perhaps by claiming that their deity exists within a "higher" sort of time, or is immanent in time while remaining transcendent.

Since the concept of consciousness is not all that easy to nail down, and a deity that is radically different from humans in nature could have a form of consciousness that is also radically different, a deist might be able to worm their way out of your argument. I think that a theist who proposes a social god--one that thinks in language and talks in sequential sentences and listens to prayers and seeks status among humans as its primary goal, and reacts emotionally to human thought and action--is not so easy to pull out of the fire, seeing as those are all inescapably temporal. Furthermore, an alleged deity that ostensibly exhibits such transparently human behavior patterns is arguably incompatible with claims of ineffable mystery.
RE: Deism challenged (& Theism as collateral damage)
(April 14, 2013 at 10:37 am)Lord Privy Seal Wrote: Tiny quibble: it looks like you mean to use "consciousness" (the faculty of being conscious) where you're using "conscience" (an intuitive "moral compass").

In my defense, it's getting late over here Big Grin pretty amateur mistake though hah! Thanks for that.

Quote:Onward to your argument:

I think a deist could try to rebut your argument in a couple of ways:

1) Reject Premise #2 by claiming that their deity has a different sort of consciousness, such as a transcendent and/or timeless capital-A Awareness more like the "timeless" or transcendent state some mystics and/or users of entheogens (LSD, DMT, Ayahuasca, etc.) claim to experience.

2) Reject Premise #4, perhaps by claiming that their deity exists within a "higher" sort of time, or is immanent in time while remaining transcendent.

Since the concept of consciousness is not all that easy to nail down, and a deity that is radically different from humans in nature could have a form of consciousness that is also radically different, a deist might be able to worm their way out of your argument. I think that a theist who proposes a social god--one that thinks in language and talks in sequential sentences and listens to prayers and seeks status among humans as its primary goal, and reacts emotionally to human thought and action--is not so easy to pull out of the fire, seeing as those are all inescapably temporal. Furthermore, an alleged deity that ostensibly exhibits such transparently human behavior patterns is arguably incompatible with claims of ineffable mystery.

Interesting thoughts. I'm a Deist myself, so I can agree with you that I could "worm my way out". I'll have to ponder your suggestions tomorrow though, as my mind is starting to fail me.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3179 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11418 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Gaps in theistic arguments. Secular theism vs religious theism Pizza 59 10663 February 27, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Is Dialogues Part XII Hume's "death bed conversion moment" to theism? Mudhammam 7 1932 June 25, 2014 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  What deism has done for the world DeistPaladin 130 16715 March 9, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: heathendegenerate
  On Theism & Immaterial Minds FallentoReason 48 11665 June 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Atheism, Deism & Christianity Cinjin 25 10954 October 3, 2011 at 3:12 am
Last Post: Cinjin
  Discussion of the Deism vs. Theism debate. leo-rcc 31 14576 May 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Deism vs. Atheism Atheist_named_Christian 13 17214 May 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Atheist_named_Christian
  What is Monist Theism? The_Flying_Skeptic 7 7651 April 26, 2010 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Caecilian