Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from the UK
Hello from the UK
Hiya,

I'm Nicky, an American expat living in the UK. I became an Atheist about five years ago after much soul searching and a Christian upbringing. Two days ago I deleted my Facebook because so much of my extended family (cousins, etc) gave me shit for the Atheistic, science-y stuff would post. After becoming bummed out about my lack of acceptance, I went searching Google for a forum of my own, I hope I found the right place! I am a student currently studying Biology and hoping to take my degree into bioengineering post-grad. I cannot wait to converse with more like minded individuals!!
RE: Hello from the UK
Hi Nicky, and welcome to the forums.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome Smile
Welcome!
I've just noticed that this forum has an unusually high female count (outspoken, at least), for an internet thing.
(April 17, 2013 at 4:31 pm)StrangeQuark Wrote: Hiya,

I'm Nicky, an American expat living in the UK. I became an Atheist about five years ago after much soul searching and a Christian upbringing. Two days ago I deleted my Facebook because so much of my extended family (cousins, etc) gave me shit for the Atheistic, science-y stuff would post. After becoming bummed out about my lack of acceptance, I went searching Google for a forum of my own, I hope I found the right place! I am a student currently studying Biology and hoping to take my degree into bioengineering post-grad. I cannot wait to converse with more like minded individuals!!

Be sure to barbecue kittens , record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Oh and what exactly made you a BENEDICT ARNOLD? TRAITOR!

(Note to self, did I think this or type it?)

Biology? What bunk, we all know all it takes is a rib to make a woman. Jeeze, the riff raff this site attracts.Big Grin
Hello there. Welcome to our little island of sanity in a sea of theistic foolishness.
(April 17, 2013 at 4:36 pm)pocaracas Wrote: I've just noticed that this forum has an unusually high female count (outspoken, at least), for an internet thing.

And you like it! Wink Shades
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 17, 2013 at 4:31 pm)StrangeQuark Wrote: I cannot wait to converse with more like minded individuals!!

Pretty soon, you're probably gonna get sucked into conversing with un-like minded individuals as well. Tongue

Welcome to the forum.
(April 17, 2013 at 4:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Hello there. Welcome to our little island of sanity in a sea of theistic foolishness.

Hey, speak for yourself, my mom fed me lead paint when I was a kid and called it corn flakes HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6002 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3648 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates