Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Specific Properties/Attributes of God
Specific Properties/Attributes of God
Once these threads turn to debates, it gets hard to really nail down exactly what theists are defending. At times, the God they defend becomes quite abstract once they've abandoned all traditional descriptions of the deity and resort to descriptions that start with "Well I think God actually..."

If anyone is so inclined as to entertain my request, I think it would be helpful to create a stop for these types of moving targets. I would like a list of attributes/properties of The God they wish to defend. I don't need all of them, all though any attempt to list them all would be helpful, I just want something concrete to discuss. I attempted to get this out of another thread and the theist reccommended that a new thread would probably be better. I'll provide the same example I gave him.

My Car...

1) Is silver
2) Requires premium fuel
3) Does not drive off road very well
4) Has AWD and handles well in the rain
5) Is 5 years old
6) Was made in Japan
Etc...

Just take out CAR and insert the God of your choosing, and give a list of specific claims or contensions. Please!Snacks
RE: Specific Properties/Attributes of God
Oooh! Is this were I get to come up with my own god? Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 24, 2013 at 10:20 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Oooh! Is this were I get to come up with my own god? Big Grin

All you need is a piece of papyrus and a feather dipped in ink!
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 24, 2013 at 10:20 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Oooh! Is this were I get to come up with my own god? Big Grin

I guess I didn't think of that, but why not??

Atheist feel free to describe any God you wish too!
Is the genie of the lamp an adequate god?
I just want magic!
any idiot knows that if we have to use the "make up any old god" slant it means it really doesn't matter what the data says. Usually a person that has a "perceived" victim take on their life experiences takes this stance. The same goes for a "god" that has to hold their hand. "god" can be at the very least a life form we are part of. Then we need to look at some evidence that would support that notion. I am over trying to talk rationally to people on forums that just don't have the training. And the ones that do? well, they can't really question the debate that the universe, at the very least earth's biosphere, may be life as a reasonable point of debate.
Melandru is kind of kick-ass and thanks to her my Ranger is awesome! Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Our God.
1. Source of itself. Coz if something created God, then this something is God.
2. God lives for himself. Ultimate egoist. If God doesnt serve himself, but someone else then this something has primary role.
3. God is eternal, endless and every thought, word, action, object, feeling, emotion, space, desire, energy came from One Source, God.
4. Gods atomoic body part called soul.We are consciosness that is generated by Gods body atomic part, our soul.
We are like AI. We been granted whit freedom to choose, A or B.
We and A and B is Gods creationsn
(April 24, 2013 at 1:37 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Our God.
1. Source of itself. Coz if something created God, then this something is God.
2. God lives for himself. Ultimate egoist. If God doesnt serve himself, but someone else then this something has primary role.
3. God is eternal, endless and every thought, word, action, object, feeling, emotion, space, desire, energy came from One Source, God.
4. Gods atomoic body part called soul.We are consciosness that is generated by Gods body atomic part, our soul.
We are like AI. We been granted whit freedom to choose, A or B.
We and A and B is Gods creationsn

So by your reasoning, what you just posted came from god?

Because I'm thinking that he might resent being held responsible for it.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 24, 2013 at 11:41 am)pocaracas Wrote: Is the genie of the lamp an adequate god?
I just want magic!

And that's why we don't get any more miracles... it's trapped inside the lamp!
It's the perfect god!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about a specific claimed miracle anonymous89 43 5574 February 13, 2020 at 2:56 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your specific level of Theism? ignoramus 26 3469 January 11, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19412 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Black Hole Properties mentioned in the Quran majmal 26 5724 December 12, 2013 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Ksa
  Arguments for God Fail Specific Religions athoughtfulman 50 19194 December 21, 2011 at 10:35 am
Last Post: chi pan