Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The effect of increasing sexualization of women in the media
The effect of increasing sexualization of women in the media
http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/08/11/...28539.html

Quote:“Sexualized portrayals of women have been found to legitimize or exacerbate violence against women and girls, as well as sexual harassment and anti-women attitudes among men and boys,” Hatton said.

“Such images also have been shown to increase rates of body dissatisfaction and/or eating disorders among men, women and girls; and they have even been shown to decrease sexual satisfaction among both men and women.”

“For these reasons,” Hatton said, “we find the frequency of sexualized images of women in popular media, combined with the extreme intensity of their sexualization, to be cause for concern.”
Re: The effect of increasing sexualization of women in the media
I call bullshit.
RE: The effect of increasing sexualization of women in the media
(May 6, 2013 at 6:35 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: I call bullshit.

Agreed!
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
I read the link, though not the original article

Thats not actually the findings of that study.

The study was on rolling stones magazine (as a proxy for the popular media in general), and the sexualisation of males/females on the covers from 1967 to 2009 (the covers got more sexy, with women getting even more skimpy than the men)
That quote about the effects of sexualisation? She's referencing other research (though it's not cited) here, showing how her findings are relevant.

Science penguin awaaaayyyyyyy!!!!!
Nemo me impune lacessit.
I rather enjoy seeing sexualized women...
Evolutionarily speaking, that's their primary function, attract a mate.... I say they're doing it right! Big Grin
I'll agree with body dissatisfaction, but I don't think that is because of sexualization. I think that is because of unrealistic body proportions, particularly fictional ones, as we see with photoshop.
(May 6, 2013 at 9:16 am)Shell B Wrote: I'll agree with body dissatisfaction, but I don't think that is because of sexualization. I think that is because of unrealistic body proportions, particularly fictional ones, as we see with photoshop.

Fictional body proportions, like these? Tongue

Sexual freedom is better than sexual repression.

Look at what catholic priests and nuns have gotten up to to see what happens when natural urges are artificially constrained.

And as for sexualisation in the media.

There is more violence in media than sex.

Just look at an average film and you will see all manner of horrific violence and maybe some mild titilation. The point is that the sex is much more heavily regulated which I think is mad.

Why should I not be able to watch in a film something that I could see several times a week by looking down, but easily be able to see people being tortured in ever more inventfull ways.

I would like to see MORE sex, but non-violent sex. Sex in a loving context between consenting adults

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I like magazine covers with dogs on them, Pomeranian especially.

I don't much care for either sex or violence in the media. I prefer hearing the gunshot off screen and watching the shadow of the dead body falling. It's more artistic and leaves more to the imagination. Same for sex.
(May 6, 2013 at 5:45 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Pomeranian especially.

Pomeranians are not dogs.. They are overgrown dust-bunnies, who wish they were something canine Dodgy
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In the future men will be able to carry children just like women rado84 110 11111 October 4, 2016 at 9:12 am
Last Post: mcolafson
  Men are better than women in combat SmootherPebble 61 17063 September 11, 2015 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: thehedglin
  The Bystander Effect & the Diffusion of Responsibility Tiberius 5 1196 July 16, 2015 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Nicotine has an antagonistic effect on dopamine D2 triggered sexual arousal? Ksa 6 3231 January 7, 2014 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ksa
  Increasing number of jellyfish - result of overfishing. Something completely different 13 3064 July 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Women and Nature KichigaiNeko 18 7251 August 4, 2012 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  A Butterfly's Effect thesummerqueen 2 1732 March 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Violet
  An Interesting Commentary on Gaslighting Women Shell B 26 10873 January 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Shell B