Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Should Get Interesting....
This Should Get Interesting....
Boy Scouts to Admit Gays.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2013/0...story.html

Quote:Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys

And the xtians will lose their ever-loving minds!

Quote:The Assemblies of God, another conservative denomination, said the policy change ‘‘will lead to a mass exodus from the Boy Scout program.’’ It also warned that the change would make the BSA vulnerable to lawsuits seeking to end the ban on gay adults.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry also expressed dismay.

‘‘While I will always cherish my time as a Scout and the life lessons I learned, I am greatly disappointed with this decision,’’ he said.

Perhaps Perry will found a new organization more in keeping with his ideals?

[Image: hitler-youth-jpg.jpg]

Is Baldur Von Schirach still around? Well, he probably left a manual or something.
RE: This Should Get Interesting....
It's still discriminatory against gay troop leaders and teachers (or whatever their term is for all the different guys who teach the various subjects they get badges for). They're only accepting of gay youth. Half victory at best.
Quote: whatever their term is for all the different guys

Darlin'. I think the only term they are worried about is "queers."
(May 23, 2013 at 8:44 pm)festive1 Wrote: It's still discriminatory against gay troop leaders and teachers (or whatever their term is for all the different guys who teach the various subjects they get badges for). They're only accepting of gay youth. Half victory at best.

One should lead to the other. I figure there's a bit of a bumpy road ahead, but overcoming discrimination is rarely, if ever, as simple and easy as it should be.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
They won't be fully gay friendly until they create a BJ badge, one for given one for received.
(May 23, 2013 at 8:44 pm)festive1 Wrote: It's still discriminatory against gay troop leaders and teachers (or whatever their term is for all the different guys who teach the various subjects they get badges for). They're only accepting of gay youth. Half victory at best.

(my son is in the scouts)

It's a half victory, yes. However, there is a LOT of pressure from the inside of BSA to change the discriminatory policy - and just as much to keep it. It's going to happen, it's just a matter of when.

The reaction is going to vary from troop to troop and council to council. I don't see it being a big deal in my son's troop at all. If I detected any bigoted sentiment amongst the leadership, I'd have a huge problem with it.
Accepting the youth is a start. I have a feeling it is about the money.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
Everything usually is.
I'm skeptical... what if the scout leaders just want to bang the shit out of the young gay boys? They might be a target in any sexual assault.
(May 23, 2013 at 9:38 pm)ideologue08 Wrote: I'm skeptical... what if the scout leaders just want to bang the shit out of the young gay boys? They might be a target in any sexual assault.

Given the youth protection policies in place, it would be difficult. Any time adults interact with youth in BSA, there must be two adults present. Locally, that policy is taken very seriously.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6967 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Interesting Scenario BrianSoddingBoru4 5 322 August 28, 2020 at 11:16 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Trump supporters made a very interesting video brewer 19 1483 October 15, 2019 at 7:18 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Interesting Turn of Events in California Minimalist 25 3074 May 12, 2018 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Supreme Court Cases (and other interesting cases) - A Thread! TheRealJoeFish 11 3612 June 2, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  BalancedRebelion.com interesting website for 3rd party voters ReptilianPeon 0 689 September 13, 2016 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Interesting Double Standard by the Corporate Media Minimalist 2 694 August 31, 2016 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Should the Romanian who scucessfully hacked into Clinton's server get immunity ReptilianPeon 18 1668 May 6, 2016 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Should North America get tougher on its citizens like Singapore? 1994Californication 7 1311 March 11, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Interesting Turn of Events.... Minimalist 0 600 December 16, 2015 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist