Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In a world without God...
In a world without God...
Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do children get cancer? Why do bad people always seem to thrive?
RE: In a world without God...
(June 6, 2013 at 10:21 pm)Drich Wrote: Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do children get cancer? Why do bad people always seem to thrive?
Is there a reason any of those things shouldn't happen?
Not sure if serious or ...
(June 6, 2013 at 10:21 pm)Drich Wrote: Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do children get cancer? Why do bad people always seem to thrive?

Those questions have been asked and answers searched for since man became an introspective creature. The simplest answer is that these things happen because they can happen. The universe has no vested interest in preventing your child from getting cancer. It doesn't care. How could it? The laws of nature are not judgmental. Only people are.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(June 6, 2013 at 10:21 pm)Drich Wrote: Why do bad things happen to good people?

Bad things happen to bad people too, believe me, I know Wink

Example: Fucktard who was responsible for my torturing got 20 years in prison Devil
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue

Aren't these questions more relevant in a world that supposedly features a benevolent deity that interacts with the world? Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Because "things" are always happening to people. A certain subset of those "things" are bad - and a certain subset of those people are good. Wherever those two subsets overlap -bad things are happening to good people.

Quote:Why do children get cancer?
The answer would depend upon what type of cancer we're talking about. Generally, genetics, tobacco, diet and physical activity, sun and UV exposure, radiation exposure....and a whole host of other carcinogens.

Quote:Why do bad people always seem to thrive?
You're asking -us- why -you- perceive something a specific way. In any case.... circumventing the rules that others follow can sometimes offer you an advantage.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 7, 2013 at 1:35 am)FifthElement Wrote:

Bad things happen to bad people too, believe me, I know Wink

Example: Fucktard who was responsible for my torturing got 20 years in prison Devil

That's not a bad thing for him, that's justice for society and yourself. He may believe it's bad, but it's obvious he does not understand rightness, he cares nothing for the payment of evil one does to another. What happen to him was proper and necessary for moral reasons.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Yet you're gleefully awaiting your celestial pass for your own inequities.

Something is amiss. You clearly understand a concept, but seem to be relieved that it might not apply to you.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
In a world without God?

Oh - like this one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44143 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  God so hated the world Foxaèr 99 6055 December 7, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12411 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Without the Shedding of Blood There is No Remission of Sin Rhondazvous 231 58189 June 4, 2017 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Zenith
  God is in charge of the world. Foxaèr 93 10427 June 6, 2016 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Little children who died without Baptism go to eternal Hell?! Jehanne 34 6050 February 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Exclamation Without God You will Fail! Gods Squad 110 16857 October 19, 2015 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  How to prove Christianity is right without trying very hard Dystopia 6 3728 July 15, 2015 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  How to Prove Your Own Position without Trying Very Hard Randy Carson 59 11710 July 14, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Bad/Good Things That Happen Without the Aid of a Deity Nope 30 9749 June 11, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd