Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kid Killed my MacBook
Kid Killed my MacBook
My kid spilled ginger ale on my MacBook a few months ago. I thought it was spared. Alas, no... It died a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the store and the guy said there was liquid pooled (congealed I'd guess) near the cable that supplies power to the main circuit board. It simply won't turn on, but was running fine up until it wouldn't turn on.
My question is: Can I attempt to clean this up and fix it myself? If so how?
Right now the best I can do is either pay almost as much as a new MacBook to have it fixed or turn it in to Apple for recycling (which I could potentially be compensated for, though that is highly unlikely due to the whole liquid damage). Can it be saved?
RE: Kid Killed my MacBook
I would personally get a new one.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 24, 2013 at 8:49 pm)festive1 Wrote: My kid spilled ginger ale on my MacBook a few months ago. I thought it was spared. Alas, no... It died a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the store and the guy said there was liquid pooled (congealed I'd guess) near the cable that supplies power to the main circuit board. It simply won't turn on, but was running fine up until it wouldn't turn on.
My question is: Can I attempt to clean this up and fix it myself? If so how?
Right now the best I can do is either pay almost as much as a new MacBook to have it fixed or turn it in to Apple for recycling (which I could potentially be compensated for, though that is highly unlikely due to the whole liquid damage). Can it be saved?

Can you claim on house insurance?
I did when my eldest brat (then aged about 3) pulled an old CRT tv over and smashed the tube, got it replaced and only had to pay the first £25.00 I think.
(He still breaks things and he is 25 now!)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

May this be a lesson to you: Don't drink and mac!

You have two options:
1 - The liquid is just short circuiting the power connector, in which case it should be a simple matter of opening the case, thoroughly cleaning the fluid, letting it dry. And closing the lid.

2 - The short circuit fried something in the main board... it's scrap metal... and probably the reason why the estimate cost of repair is close to a new mac. You can salvage the hard drive, RAM, screen, body... or try ebay for a replacement motherboard, is you feel confident on replacing it yourself.
I will inquire with our homeowner's insurance. I hadn't thought of that... Then maybe I'll try taking off the cover and cleaning it, it's worth a try if the alternative is to scrap it.
We have a rule of no food or drinks near the computer, but obviously it wasn't well enforced :-(
Got to love planned obsolescence, right?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
if you do have to scrap it and the data on your hdd is of any consequence you can always pull that and mount it in a hdd dock to access the data, clone the drive onto your new computer, etc. Newegg and other sites of a geeky nature are a good place to get such items.
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

(July 1, 2013 at 2:29 am)Raven Wrote: if you do have to scrap it and the data on your hdd is of any consequence you can always pull that and mount it in a hdd dock to access the data, clone the drive onto your new computer, etc. Newegg and other sites of a geeky nature are a good place to get such items.

I had the guys at the Apple Store pull everything off the hard drive and put it on an external drive. So at least everything is saved.
I fell asleep with wine in my hand last year and it destroyed my laptop... I had an external mouse, keyboard and a monitor hooked up to it just to try and keep it alive. It pretty much turned into a shite desktop computer. I eventually had to accept that I needed a new one. Tongue
Cunt
My brother destroyed my pc (and he owned me an additional 1200 euros).

I simply broke into his appartment and "stole" things which were worth the money and left a letter behind detailing the conditions under which he would get his stuff back (pay your debts moron!).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice for MacBook Pro problem? Tiberius 7 3371 February 2, 2012 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jaysyn