Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next-Gen Test Tube Baby Born
Next-Gen Test Tube Baby Born
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.v...Baby-Born/

Quote:“Next-generation sequencing improves our ability to detect these abnormalities and helps us identify the embryos with the best chances of producing a viable pregnancy,” said Dagan Wells, a molecular geneticist at the NIHR Biomedical Research Centre at the University of Oxford, in a statement. “Potentially, this should lead to improved IVF success rates and a lower risk of miscarriage.”

http://www.eshre.eu/Londen2013/Media/Rel...Wells.aspx

Quote:The analysis technique is known as "next generation sequencing", a powerful method capable of decoding entire genomes. Vast quantities of DNA data are produced from each sample tested, simultaneously revealing information on the inheritance of genetic disorders, chromosome abnormalities and mitochondrial mutations. Next generation sequencing (NGS) is already revolutionising many areas of genetic research and diagnostics, said Dr Wells, and, when applied to the assessment of embryos, will allow the concurrent analysis of serious inherited disorders and lethal chromosome abnormalities. "Next generation sequencing provides an unprecedented
insight into the biology of embryos," said Dr Wells.

Both articles seem to focus on embryo screening that allows the doctors to eliminate embryos that have genetic defect that would prevent a successful pregnancy. But the second article does say that genetic disorders can be detected. It doesn't say what the selection process is when a disorder is detected, but I think that if an embryo is found to have genetic defects that could lead to illnesses or disabilities, it wouldn't be picked for the IVF procedure.

Thoughts on this technique?
RE: Next-Gen Test Tube Baby Born
There's so many children without homes to begin with, I hope they don't do this in any substantial volume.

If they do this, there better be foster parents immediately, It would be so cruel to bring a child into the world with no parents 'for science'.
The only freedom, is freedom from illusion.
(July 11, 2013 at 5:47 pm)Koolay Wrote: There's so many children without homes to begin with, I hope they don't do this in any substantial volume.

If they do this, there better be foster parents immediately, It would be so cruel to bring a child into the world with no parents 'for science'.

Did you read the articles? they're using the screening for parents undergoing fertility treatment because they cannot get pregnant. the embryo screening is to pick the embryo to implant the mother with. It's not to create babies for "science".
We need to be able to grow them in test tubes. Then the inequlity in birth rights can be solved. Not to mention, genetic modification be awesome too.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
inequality of birth rights?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the consciousness of a new born baby Macoleco 8 807 April 7, 2022 at 7:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  Human baby gene editing is here? brewer 9 1073 November 29, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What's the Next Step in Evolution for Homo Sapiens? Rhondazvous 58 9937 March 1, 2017 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Test My Theory: Macro evolution DOES happen? Gawdzilla Sama 44 12877 December 20, 2016 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  The simple body test that proves the theory of evolution TubbyTubby 17 2766 March 22, 2016 at 5:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "The first person to live to [200, 300, 500, 1000] has already been born" Heat 218 17482 December 14, 2015 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Baby raccoons IATIA 7 1567 November 23, 2015 at 12:28 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Churches oppose three-person baby plan zebo-the-fat 36 6781 February 3, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Half Sheep half Goat born in Ireland downbeatplumb 11 2152 April 5, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are you born with your personality? Clueless Morgan 18 4423 March 18, 2014 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan