Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
agnostic atheism is oxymoronic
agnostic atheism is oxymoronic
"I do not believe god(s) exist"

"I do not have a belief on the subject of whether or not god(s) exist"

huge difference in these two ideas.

anyone want to discuss?
RE: agnostic atheism is oxymoronic
Perhaps the individual is agnostic in regard to a particular deity, but atheistic in regard to every other deity.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
ok, so what i get out of that is that monotheism would be more acceptable than polytheism?

i say that because the agnostic stance is much more accepting of an unknown
(July 20, 2013 at 12:02 am)christcahinkilla Wrote: ok, so what i get out of that is that monotheism would be more acceptable than polytheism?

i say that because the agnostic stance is much more accepting of an unknown

No, agnostic atheism is simply "I don't believe that there are any gods, but I can't prove it". That is, the lack of belief (a-theism) is not knowledge (a-gnostic).
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
ok so,

"i believe in god(s)" theism

"i do not believe in god(s)" atheism

"i do not have a belief on the subject of god(s) because there is no means for me to know" agnostic

theist and agnostic are contradictory terms.
atheist and agnostic are contradictory terms.
I think it is more that an atheist believes that there is no god whilst an agnostic simply states that they do not know. Obviously a theist believes in a God but, in common with an atheist rejects all other alternative gods.

Whilst an agnostic may argue that theirs is actually the only logical position an atheist would probably counter with the position that they find the likelihood of there actually being a god to be vanishingly small.
I do not consider agnostic to be a term that explains personal belief on the truth value of a proposition so much as it is denotation of an epistemological stance. I don't believe in any gods, but being a puny mortal with a possibly limited scope of knowledge, I could be wrong. However, I still find lacking a belief in gods to be the most logical conclusion, since all the evidence I have observed points to them being human inventions. I guess you could say I'm "agnostic" on anything since I don't hold to a principal of absolute certainty, only that which is closest to certainty and has the most evidence backing it when compared to similar theories.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
(July 20, 2013 at 12:57 am)christcahinkilla Wrote: ok so,

"i do not have a belief on the subject of god(s) because there is no means for me to know" agnostic

Are belief and knowledge contradictory terms?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(July 20, 2013 at 12:57 am)christcahinkilla Wrote: ok so,

Not quite.

"I do not know (and maybe there is no way for me to know) whether there is(are) any god(s)." Agnostic

It is compatible with both theism and atheism. Which is why there would be 4 categories:

"I believe in god(s) and know there is one" Gnostic Theists
"I believe in god(s) but have no knowledge on the matter" Agnostic Theists
"I don't believe in god(s) but have no knowledge on the matter" Agnostic Atheist
"I don't believe in god(s) and know aren't any" Gnostic Atheists

There might be a fifth category as well
"I have no knowledge on the matter and hold no beliefs" - Agnostic [we need a new word here].
"I don't know if there is no god."
"I don't believe there is a god."

Agnostic atheism. Not a contradiction at all. Good say, sir.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9368 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27118 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1390 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5899 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3025 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3388 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25411 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3649 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Albert Einstein the Agnostic MattB 21 6131 February 23, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: MattB
  Atheist or Agnostic? datc 126 37219 April 6, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Pizza