Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Prayer Question For Theists
Another Prayer Question For Theists
What, if anything, is the difference between a prayer and an attempt to cast a magic spell?

It strikes me that in both cases, the supplicant is attempting to alter the Universe in someone's favour (I'm leaving aside - for the nonce - prayers of thanksgiving and general supplication): the Christian asks Jesus to heal a sick child, the Buddhist spins her prayer wheel and chants her sutra, the Wiccan burns certain herbs at propitious moments, the Jew wails at his Wall, and so on.

Exterior trappings notwithstanding, is there any real, meaningful difference between what a Catholic attempts in front of a statue of the Virgin, and what a Santeriast attempts when he slits the throat of a chicken?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Another Prayer Question For Theists
Where was the magic spell?

And how about addressing answers on your other thread?
Quote:Exterior trappings notwithstanding, is there any real, meaningful difference between what a Catholic attempts in front of a statue of the Virgin, and what a Santeriast attempts when he slits the throat of a chicken?

Can we ask the chicken for his opinion?
(August 1, 2013 at 7:08 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: What, if anything, is the difference between a prayer and an attempt to cast a magic spell?

It strikes me that in both cases, the supplicant is attempting to alter the Universe in someone's favour (I'm leaving aside - for the nonce - prayers of thanksgiving and general supplication): the Christian asks Jesus to heal a sick child, the Buddhist spins her prayer wheel and chants her sutra, the Wiccan burns certain herbs at propitious moments, the Jew wails at his Wall, and so on.

Exterior trappings notwithstanding, is there any real, meaningful difference between what a Catholic attempts in front of a statue of the Virgin, and what a Santeriast attempts when he slits the throat of a chicken?

Boru

There is a difference in Christian prayer and the others you mention, some of those do depend on magic, what ever that may be. With Christians we ask God to determine what's best or at least we should, and if He decides in our favor then we have unleashed the same power that created the universe. In actuality Christians need to remember that we change nothing, changes come from the grace of God and the change can only happen if the request is not against God's ultimate will.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Quote:In actuality Christians need to remember that we change nothing,

At the very least you don't end up with a dead chicken, I'll give you that.
(August 1, 2013 at 7:08 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: What, if anything, is the difference between a prayer and an attempt to cast a magic spell?

Boru

I think prayer is just an elaborate way to hope for something.
Quote:Kudos given by (2): Godschild

I'm getting uncomfortable about this.

I may have to go kill a chicken. Perhaps I'll fry it up?
(August 2, 2013 at 12:10 am)Godschild Wrote: There is a difference in Christian prayer and the others you mention, some of those do depend on magic, what ever that may be. With Christians we ask God to determine what's best or at least we should, and if He decides in our favor then we have unleashed the same power that created the universe. In actuality Christians need to remember that we change nothing, changes come from the grace of God and the change can only happen if the request is not against God's ultimate will.

Not seeing any difference at all. That''s precisely what the "explanation" of all those other prayers is going to be if you ask the ones doing it.
(August 2, 2013 at 3:08 am)genkaus Wrote:
(August 2, 2013 at 12:10 am)Godschild Wrote: There is a difference in Christian prayer and the others you mention, some of those do depend on magic, what ever that may be. With Christians we ask God to determine what's best or at least we should, and if He decides in our favor then we have unleashed the same power that created the universe. In actuality Christians need to remember that we change nothing, changes come from the grace of God and the change can only happen if the request is not against God's ultimate will.

Not seeing any difference at all. That''s precisely what the "explanation" of all those other prayers is going to be if you ask the ones doing it.

Truth doesn't change.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(August 2, 2013 at 10:23 am)Godschild Wrote: Truth doesn't change.

I'll bite. I agree with this statement, but what is it that you're holding to be true? How do you verify the veracity of something? What is your threshold of proof (rather, how much proof do you need before you believe something to be true)?

:Channeling PeterPriesthood:

Did God give you a testimony of the truth by means of the Holy Ghost? If not, then how do you know that what you take for truth (concerning your beliefs) is not of the Devil?

:End Channeling:
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 6647 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5704 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7793 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1051 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5703 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Question to theists purplepurpose 172 26562 June 21, 2018 at 4:18 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Another hypothetical for theists. ignoramus 93 16675 March 24, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6124 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 63240 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  A simple question for theists masterofpuppets 86 20972 April 10, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: emjay