Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free(from)ThoughtBlogs
Free(from)ThoughtBlogs
This is the latest money-grabbing, attention-seeking stunt from PZ Myers.

What do you do when someone pulls the pin and hands you a grenade?

"I’m dyin’ here, people. It’s like people trust me or something.

So I’ve been given this rather…explosive…information. It’s a direct report of unethical behavior by a big name in the skeptical community (yeah, like that hasn’t been happening a lot lately), and it’s straight from the victim’s mouth. And it’s bad. Really bad.

She’s torn up about it. It’s been a few years, so no law agency is going to do anything about it now; she reported it to an organization at the time, and it was dismissed. Swept under the rug. Ignored. I can imagine her sense of futility. She’s also afraid that the person who assaulted her before could try to hurt her again.

But at the same time, she doesn’t want this to happen to anyone else, so she’d like to get the word out there. So she hands the information to me. Oh, thanks.

Now I’ve been sitting here trying to resolve my dilemma — to reveal it or not — and goddamn it, what’s dominating my head isn’t the consequences, but the question of what is the right thing to do. Do I stand up for the one who has no recourse, no way out, no other option to help others, or do I shelter the powerful big name guy from an accusation I can’t personally vouch for, except to say that I know the author, and that she’s not trying to acquire notoriety (she wants her name kept out of it)?

I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do, I can do no other. I will again emphasize, though, that I have no personal, direct evidence that the event occurred as described; all I can say is that the author is known to me, and she has also been vouched for by one other person I trust. The author is not threatening her putative assailant with any action, but is solely concerned that other women be aware of his behavior. The only reason she has given me this information is that she has no other way to act.

With that, I cast this grenade away from me…

At a conference, Mr. Shermer coerced me into a position where I could not consent, and then had sex with me. I can’t give more details than that, as it would reveal my identity, and I am very scared that he will come after me in some way. But I wanted to share this story in case it helps anyone else ward off a similar situation from happening. I reached out to one organization that was involved in the event at which I was raped, and they refused to take my concerns seriously. Ever since, I’ve heard stories about him doing things (5 different people have directly told me they did the same to them) and wanted to just say something and warn people, and I didn’t know how. I hope this protects someone.

Boom."

The aforementioned coercion was her getting drunk. Not forced to get drunk, mind, but by her own choice. Shermer was presumably doing the same.

The next morning (or 2 years later), with morning-after-the-night-before regrets, she made a complaint. It was ignored. Now she maintains that it was rape. No mention of her telling him "no!" or "stop!" or of him refusing to comply, mind. They just got drunk and had sex.

Is Shermer actually a rapist? I have no idea. On this supposed "evidence"? Certainly not. Regardless, though, if enough mud is thrown his way by these people... some if it will stick.

In the real world, where women suffer the trauma of actual rape, their plight is diminished by the hard-of-thinking (FreeThoughtBlogs and AtheismPlus) who throw the word around as if it has no substantial meaning.

These parasites so need to be driven out of the online atheist world by (at the very least) showing them for the (unfunny) joke that they are.
[Image: ascent_descent422.jpg]
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RE: Free(from)ThoughtBlogs
The more I hear from PZ Myers, the more of a cunt he seems to be..
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(August 9, 2013 at 10:49 am)Kayenneh Wrote: The more I hear from PZ Myers, the more of a cunt he seems to be..

But, Kayenneh, didn't you know? He's our leader. That's what they call themselves on FtB: atheist leaders. I must have been out of the room when they had that particular vote.

And, from the account given by her, Shermer could just as easily report her for raping him. Seeing as how they were both drunk.

Or we can accept the responsibility for our own actions and avoid getting drunk.
[Image: ascent_descent422.jpg]
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
(August 9, 2013 at 10:53 am)Red Celt Wrote:
(August 9, 2013 at 10:49 am)Kayenneh Wrote: The more I hear from PZ Myers, the more of a cunt he seems to be..

But, Kayenneh, didn't you know? He's our leader. That's what they call themselves on FtB: atheist leaders. I must have been out of the room when they had that particular vote.

I thought it was Richard Dawkins (that is what the Christians in South Africa claim - and they always know best). I just can't keep up anymore.
Any spelling mistakes are due to my godlessness!
"Coerced me into a position where I could not consent." That's awfully vague to be throwing the word "rape" around.

I'm sorry, but that is insubstantial evidence to simply accuse someone publicly of being a rapist, an accusation that can never fully washed away.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 9, 2013 at 10:53 am)Red Celt Wrote: But, Kayenneh, didn't you know? He's our leader. That's what they call themselves on FtB: atheist leaders. I must have been out of the room when they had that particular vote.

Fuck it, that's it, I'm going anarchist! Big Grin

If she really was raped, that's truly horrible, but if she's using the word rape about drunken sex, may she get painful hemorrhoids and severe anal leakage.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

@ITChick, bad atheist, you. But it's ok, I don't get memos either.

I don't know what to make of this. But all the buildup before the actual quote of what the girl said makes me think this entire thing is insincere and purposely sensationalizing the situation. Red Celt, where did you get the part about them being drunk?

(August 9, 2013 at 11:17 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Fuck it, that's it, I'm going anarchist! Big Grin
Now Koolay is your leader.
Not only does it reek of insincerity, but PZ comes across as so many previous moral crusaders have before him, a complete douchebag. He's trying to sensationalize an accusation of rape, an action that someone who truly fought for equality among genders would be appalled over.

Regardless of whether the claim is accurate, PZ is a slimeball for his methods.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 9, 2013 at 11:19 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Now Koolay is your leader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o19CaOSuD8

I find it fairly odd that, for a group like atheists that tend to prize evidence and deep thought about things, PZ Myers would offer such ghostly, detail-free accounts for anything, let alone such a serious allegation. It becomes very hard to actually form an opinion on this thing.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!