Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 3:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists: Precedence of Commandments
Theists: Precedence of Commandments
I have a inkling that I'd like to make a YouTube video on this issue. Eh, maybe someday.

Anyhow, this is, I think, an interesting question for theists: If the commandments from God/in the Bible conflict in some situation, what commandment(s) take precedence? Now, an answer I anticipate is pointing out that Jesus referred to 'loving thy neighbor' and the golden rule as the most important to follow. However, he also says in other places that he has not come to destroy the law, but that it would remain until heaven and earth fade. I suppose the response would be - and correct me if I'm wrong - that you follow the Law in as much as it doesn't conflict with loving others or following the golden rule, but that creates a bigger problem: What about when the commandments directly conflict with Jesus' claim of the primacy of those 2 commands? For example, what of Deuteronomy's command to kill unbelieving family members, or Leviticus' command to stone to death men who have had sex with another man? Clearly you cannot follow Leviticus' proscription and abide by Jesus, so what then?
RE: Theists: Precedence of Commandments
-bump-

Psst, theists. Sad
(September 4, 2013 at 10:43 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: -bump-

Psst, theists. Sad

As a former theist, I could recommend this: http://www.gotquestions.org/

It's a site that what I would call "regular" Christians used a lot.

To answer your question, though, is a post from said website:

Quote:In place of the Old Testament law, we are under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2), which is to “love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind…and to love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:37-39). If we obey those two commands, we will be fulfilling all that Christ requires of us: “All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:40). Now, this does not mean the Old Testament law is irrelevant today. Many of the commands in the Old Testament law fall into the categories of “loving God” and “loving your neighbor.” The Old Testament law can be a good guidepost for knowing how to love God and knowing what goes into loving your neighbor. At the same time, to say that the Old Testament law applies to Christians today is incorrect. The Old Testament law is a unit (James 2:10). Either all of it applies, or none of it applies. If Christ fulfilled some of it, such as the sacrificial system, He fulfilled all of it.

“This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3). The Ten Commandments were essentially a summary of the entire Old Testament law. Nine of the Ten Commandments are clearly repeated in the New Testament (all except the command to observe the Sabbath day). Obviously, if we are loving God, we will not be worshipping false gods or bowing down before idols. If we are loving our neighbors, we will not be murdering them, lying to them, committing adultery against them, or coveting what belongs to them. The purpose of the Old Testament law is to convict people of our inability to keep the law and point us to our need for Jesus Christ as Savior (Romans 7:7-9; Galatians 3:24). The Old Testament law was never intended by God to be the universal law for all people for all of time. We are to love God and love our neighbors. If we obey those two commands faithfully, we will be upholding all that God requires of us.

Sauce: http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-law.html
"The consolations of philosophy and the beauties of science; these things are infinitely more awe-inspiring and regenerating and majestic than any invocation of the burning bush or doctrine." - Christopher Hitchens
Strangely, Jesus disagrees with them elsewhere. But yeah, that's about the response that I expected, as I'm a former theist as well. Thanks. Smile
(August 28, 2013 at 12:53 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Clearly you cannot follow Leviticus' proscription and abide by Jesus, so what then?

They're not really connected in terms of religions, though.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(August 28, 2013 at 12:53 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: I have a inkling that I'd like to make a YouTube video on this issue. Eh, maybe someday.

Anyhow, this is, I think, an interesting question for theists: If the commandments from God/in the Bible conflict in some situation, what commandment(s) take precedence? Now, an answer I anticipate is pointing out that Jesus referred to 'loving thy neighbor' and the golden rule as the most important to follow. However, he also says in other places that he has not come to destroy the law, but that it would remain until heaven and earth fade. I suppose the response would be - and correct me if I'm wrong - that you follow the Law in as much as it doesn't conflict with loving others or following the golden rule, but that creates a bigger problem: What about when the commandments directly conflict with Jesus' claim of the primacy of those 2 commands? For example, what of Deuteronomy's command to kill unbelieving family members, or Leviticus' command to stone to death men who have had sex with another man? Clearly you cannot follow Leviticus' proscription and abide by Jesus, so what then?
Most Christians are Gentiles, and the law never applied to Gentiles.
If God were real, "Don't be a dick" would be one of the ten commandments.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(September 12, 2013 at 11:00 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: If God were real, "Don't be a dick" would be one of the ten commandments.

In fact, isn't that one of Christopher Hitchen's Ten Commandments. I swear he's said/written that one before.
"The consolations of philosophy and the beauties of science; these things are infinitely more awe-inspiring and regenerating and majestic than any invocation of the burning bush or doctrine." - Christopher Hitchens

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 890 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Baphomet more American than 10 Commandments Foxaèr 13 1490 August 22, 2018 at 9:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4901 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  A new set of commandments... lifesagift 20 3191 November 20, 2014 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Ten commandments! BlackSwordsman 18 4828 May 30, 2014 at 9:10 am
Last Post: BlackSwordsman
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8229 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  The New Commandments? Mr Camel 3 1685 July 24, 2010 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: chasm