Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Miracle!!
A Miracle!!
Hey!

I would like to tell you about a miracle that happened to someone I know (even if that isn't all that well). She was healed a few years ago (I've only known her for a few months) by God. This was an 'instant' healing, not a process of slowly getting better (I don't think you even can get slowly better from what she had). She was dyslexic and also had another problem with the brain where she couldn't see green, big contrasts and straight lines properly and had a reading age of 8. She was then prayed for, healed, took her english GCSE and got an A in it.

Of course there are other people who have been healed who I could tell of, but I havn't known them personally so may be less believable. What do you think?

Solarwave
Mark Taylor: "Religious conflict will be less a matter of struggles between belief and unbelief than of clashes between believers who make room for doubt and those who do not."

Einstein: “The most unintelligible thing about nature is that it is intelligible”
RE: A Miracle!!
I think it's amazing how some people instantly jump straight to a conclusion that fits in with their own personal worldview without first ruling out the very obvious.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Well said, Darwin... assuming the story is even true.
Anecdotal evidence is the lowest form of evidence, and for good reason. I'm not saying what you say isn't true, but we have no way of verifying:

1) That you aren't just making it up.
2) That what you say is the whole truth, and there wasn't some other issue you "forgot" to mention.
3) That your friend didn't have some other kind of "healing" that had a perfectly natural explanation.
4) That your friend is simply lying to you (you say you've only known her a few months).
Darwinian: Rule out the obvious then.

Tiberius:

1) Fair enough, you just have to believe me when I say I am actually searching for truth and have an open mind about most things at the moment, almost to a point a while back where I was close to losing faith..... so I have no reason to lie. Of course you also have to believe that and just have simply trust.
2) This is probably the most likely way I could be wrong, though I don't think there is anything I have left out. What could I have left out?
3) As far as I know those things don't naturally heal. A quick google search can clear it up.
4) Why would she lie? In the real world theres a certain level of trust you can have in people from what you know of them and how they come across. I felt no reason to be skeptical about it so I wasn't. I do try to be rational about what I believe, but I also try not to think everything is conspiracy ether.

Is it so important to stay faithless than consider I may be right? Everyones wrong about something at some point. Anecdotal evidence is the lowest form of evidence but it still is evidence and evidence builds up. There is more to life than science Shock lol
Mark Taylor: "Religious conflict will be less a matter of struggles between belief and unbelief than of clashes between believers who make room for doubt and those who do not."

Einstein: “The most unintelligible thing about nature is that it is intelligible”
There is a reason why hearsay evidence is not admissible at trial, Solar.

That is all you have provided.
(October 24, 2009 at 2:58 pm)solarwave Wrote: She was dyslexic .....................and got an A in it.

She was dyslexic she believed in dog? OK bad joke but someone was going to say it.

I have a friend who is dyslexic and is the editor of a few scientific journals, he would tell you were to stuff your prayers, I am also slightly dyslexic in that if I type or write to fast I finish of the first word with the start of the next, your point being?

A
(October 24, 2009 at 3:41 pm)solarwave Wrote: 4) Why would she lie?

to fit in, to get attention, to be "special" for that five minutes. Social lying to get peer acceptance is rife even in some areas of adult hood

Why is so much of the bible based on lies?

just had a thought, she might have seen you comming and got you hook line and sinker, how many drinks did you buy her that night to hear the whole story..................not that i would know of ANYONE who would stoop that low ahhemm

A
EE WA EE WA, WIGGY WIGGY WIGGY, PLUNGA A PLUNGA A
So far,I have never seen evidence of a miracle.

The type of healing invariably cited proves exactly nothing. I will take notice if I see evidence of the growth of an amputated limb, or of a new eye in an empty socket. (that doesn't mean I will immediately exclaim "God did it!",merely that I will be interested in the explanation,what ever it might be)

This a general comment,not aimed at our new village-idiot-cum- chew-toy. Waste of time trying to converse with it,be easier communicating with an orangutan.
(October 25, 2009 at 7:12 am)padraic Wrote: I will take notice if I see evidence of the growth of an amputated limb, or of a new eye in an empty socket. (that doesn't mean I will immediately exclaim "God did it!",merely that I will be interested in the explanation,what ever it might be)

I'm guessing someone would come up with some naturalistic hypothesis that is "possible" and you would grab on to that no matter how improbable it is and, consequently, reject the explanation that "God did it!" If you assume from the start that there is no such thing as the supernatural or a miracle, you will never see any evidence of either.
(October 25, 2009 at 10:11 am)rjh4 Wrote:
(October 25, 2009 at 7:12 am)padraic Wrote: I will take notice if I see evidence of the growth of an amputated limb, or of a new eye in an empty socket. (that doesn't mean I will immediately exclaim "God did it!",merely that I will be interested in the explanation,what ever it might be)

I'm guessing someone would come up with some naturalistic hypothesis that is "possible" and you would grab on to that no matter how improbable it is and, consequently, reject the explanation that "God did it!" If you assume from the start that there is no such thing as the supernatural or a miracle, you will never see any evidence of either.

I think the point was there there is no evidence (that I have ever seen/heard of) of amputees growing back limbs, and that all claimed 'miracles' turn out to be things that could have happened naturally.

Including the OP's ludicrous example of someone with dyslexia getting an A in GCSE English!

"It's a miracle!!"

They've probably omitted the countless hours spent by tutors in additional work, getting the pupil up to examinable standards.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about a specific claimed miracle anonymous89 43 5579 February 13, 2020 at 2:56 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How can you explain the miracle of the Holy Fire? Thracian 42 10939 April 23, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  The next time someone says their religious text is a literary miracle... ReptilianPeon 4 1711 October 22, 2015 at 3:18 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Is this A Miracle? Minimalist 8 2058 February 12, 2014 at 8:58 am
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  I Witnessed a Miracle BGChuckLee 60 11891 January 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: killybob
  Anyone want to take a stab at debunking this "miracle"? Ziploc Surprise 33 15744 April 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: simplexity
  The latest miracle! LastPoet 25 6570 May 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  whats in a miracle the6dead 14 3861 April 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: the6dead
  The plane crash on the Hudson river..a miracle? bozo 12 4952 January 19, 2009 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Demonaura