Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists, some questions
Theists, some questions
I have been on a christian forum or 2 and there are a couple of questions I typically asked them, I'd like to bring them here and repeat that process. Mainly because it is interesting (I have gotten responses I genuinely did not expect, some I liked and thought were benign and others uplifting/hopeful. But I have also gotten some downright scary answers too).

So, without further ado.

In claiming something to be a miracle, is it necessary to know of all possible natural explanations for said event? If so, how can you ever claim it to be a miracle since you cannot possibly know of all possibilities? If not, how can you claim it to be a miracle? (miracle = suspension of the natural order)

If god commanded you to kill someone (for all intents and purposes let's assume we both agree that it is in fact god itself/himself/herself who did indeed tell you to do so), is following god's orders and killing them a moral action? Why or why not?
[Image: giphy.gif]
RE: Theists, some questions
I guess there are either no takers or no theists on today.
[Image: giphy.gif]
They're intimidated by the beard slap. Wink
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
come on, guys! Answer! He's got a beard, dammit!

sighs in wonder*
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
I wonder where they are? Wait....what's that sound?

(October 22, 2013 at 6:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I wonder where they are? Wait....what's that sound?

lol nice. Kudos times 10!
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
ROFLOL
(October 21, 2013 at 9:27 am)TheBeardedDude Wrote: In claiming something to be a miracle, is it necessary to know of all possible natural explanations for said event? If so, how can you ever claim it to be a miracle since you cannot possibly know of all possibilities? If not, how can you claim it to be a miracle? (miracle = suspension of the natural order)

There wouldn't be any possible natural physical explanation for the RESURRECTION OF OUR LORD ATTENDED WITH GLORY!

[Image: Noel-coypel-the-resurrection-of-christ-1700.jpg]:confused-fall:

Though we can't actually know that it happened you either believe it happened or you don't believe it happened.

Quote:If god commanded you to kill someone (for all intents and purposes let's assume we both agree that it is in fact god itself/himself/herself who did indeed tell you to do so), is following god's orders and killing them a moral action? Why or why not?

Better to assume that whatever is telling you to kill is not God. Though killing people can be moral like when they shot Osama Bin Laden.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(October 22, 2013 at 6:50 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote:
(October 21, 2013 at 9:27 am)TheBeardedDude Wrote: In claiming something to be a miracle, is it necessary to know of all possible natural explanations for said event? If so, how can you ever claim it to be a miracle since you cannot possibly know of all possibilities? If not, how can you claim it to be a miracle? (miracle = suspension of the natural order)

There wouldn't be any possible natural physical explanation for the RESURRECTION OF OUR LORD ATTENDED WITH GLORY!

[Image: Noel-coypel-the-resurrection-of-christ-1700.jpg]:confused-fall:

Though we can't actually know that it happened you either believe it happened or you don't believe it happened.

Quote:If god commanded you to kill someone (for all intents and purposes let's assume we both agree that it is in fact god itself/himself/herself who did indeed tell you to do so), is following god's orders and killing them a moral action? Why or why not?

Better to assume that whatever is telling you to kill is not God. Though killing people can be moral like when they shot Osama Bin Laden.

No. You don't get it. If you were certain that it was indeed the god that told you to kill someone, would it be ok?
Half Baked

Quote:Though we can't actually know that it happened you either believe it happened or you don't believe it happened.

Mark me down with the Don't crowd.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have some questions for the posters here. Frank Apisa 348 21356 June 28, 2021 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are some theists afraid of atheists? Der/die AtheistIn 146 48605 June 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Some questions about heaven and hell (for any believer) Dystopia 26 6116 June 17, 2015 at 4:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Some theists are just to far gone dyresand 36 7521 June 7, 2015 at 11:35 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Some questions that need to be answered therationalist 19 4792 April 8, 2014 at 9:21 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  some questions gufis253 31 10141 November 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: genkaus
  Why do some theists bring up Adolf Hitler when discussing atheism? happyukatheist 18 5426 September 26, 2010 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye