Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upset about event at school?
Sad 
upset about event at school?
So...I'm an atheist and my friend is one also. We were joking around at school about who is right or wrong, and he jokingly said "What if I say that I'm right because god said it's right!" So I thought for a moment and said, true to my nature, "What if I say that there is no god??", but not in a menacing way..
Then, my teacher, who I guess was in earshot of our conversation, said to me "How dare you say that." in a frustrated voice and said "I won't even let this conversation happen in my class," thereby silencing us.
I guess he's religious and I respect that, and I also know that atheist beliefs are shocking to religious people...but really? Classroom discussions about religion isn't appropriate but we were having our own private talk, and did he really have to say "how dare you say that" as if I have no right to disbelieve in any type of religion? I don't know who's right or wrong, but I'm extremely upset and have been thinking about it all day long. I don't know what to do or what to think.
RE: upset about event at school?
Why are you talking during class?
(November 4, 2013 at 6:02 am)ToriJ Wrote: Why are you talking during class?

Because they are bright, intelligent pupils who want school to be a happy, free and enjoyable learning experience as they mature into well balanced adults and not some vile oppressive regime where they are scared to speak out of turn, offer an opinion or, heaven forbid, behave like independent people with opinions of their own?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(November 4, 2013 at 6:11 am)Darwinian Wrote: Because they are bright, intelligent pupils who want school to be a happy, free and enjoyable learning experience as they mature into well balanced adults and not some vile oppressive regime where they are scared to speak out of turn, offer an opinion or, heaven forbid, behave like independent people with opinions of their own?

I'm not defending the teacher, he's a douche. But if class is in session and isn't related to said private discussion you should be paying attention.

Some context would be nice, I'm confused by the OP.
(November 4, 2013 at 6:18 am)ToriJ Wrote: I'm not defending the teacher, he's a douche. But if class is in session and isn't related to said private discussion you should be paying attention.

Though I usually agree that mum's the word when class is in session, there are times when you're required to discuss with your classmates about a topic the teacher asked you to cover.

As for you Pomegranate, screw that teacher and don't mind him. I had a psychology/religion teacher in high school, who did her best to try and keep me silent during class discussions, because she was uncomfortable with my POV. At first I thought I was paranoid, but it turned out that she had done the same to my sister, two of her friends and to one of of out family friends. It sucked and I gained meaningful discussion and knowledge from elsewhere and just sat at the back in her class, doodling or whatever.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I always got the most badass class members each grade. That treacher would be so toast Big Grin

Either way, she was out of hand by saying "How dare you say that." & "I won't even let this conversation happen in my class,". Does she means students are free to talk other things? What other conversations does she specifically forbid?

If she said "Kids, save that discussion for the recess, pay attention to my teaching" she would be in her right, because having order in the classroom allows for more efficient teaching, but teachers are just adults and have flaws.
(November 4, 2013 at 6:18 am)ToriJ Wrote:
(November 4, 2013 at 6:11 am)Darwinian Wrote: Because they are bright, intelligent pupils who want school to be a happy, free and enjoyable learning experience as they mature into well balanced adults and not some vile oppressive regime where they are scared to speak out of turn, offer an opinion or, heaven forbid, behave like independent people with opinions of their own?

I'm not defending the teacher, he's a douche. But if class is in session and isn't related to said private discussion you should be paying attention.

Undecided I'm sorry I didn't make it clear enough. It was before class started and it's music class so we were just unpacking our instruments and chatting.

Right now I feel like I should have stood up and said "excuse me?", make my case, and get sent to the headmaster's or something, because I couldn't do so last week.
Last week when the rest of my Christian family made me join their prayer circle to honor my late grandmother, I refused. My cousin and uncles got so mad that we had a huge family fight. I sat there quietly, holding back my anger. Ugh school
(November 4, 2013 at 6:48 am)pomegranate Wrote: Undecided I'm sorry I didn't make it clear enough. It was before class started and it's music class so we were just unpacking our instruments and chatting.

It's okay, I apologize for coming across as a dick in my first post.

I'm guessing reporting him is out of the question?
(November 4, 2013 at 6:57 am)ToriJ Wrote:
(November 4, 2013 at 6:48 am)pomegranate Wrote: Undecided I'm sorry I didn't make it clear enough. It was before class started and it's music class so we were just unpacking our instruments and chatting.

It's okay, I apologize for coming across as a dick in my first post.

I'm guessing reporting him is out of the question?

Nah I would have said the same thing. I don't think I can report him, as a lot of teachers here I think are religious (and would certainly turn against me), and my mom would only be upset that I even said such a thing (she wants me to shush my beliefs, or rather, non-beliefs). I guess I can confront him, but I know how that'll turn out....Argue
(November 4, 2013 at 7:10 am)pomegranate Wrote: I don't think I can report him, as a lot of teachers here I think are religious (and would certainly turn against me), and my mom would only be upset that I even said such a thing (she wants me to shush my beliefs, or rather, non-beliefs). I guess I can confront him, but I know how that'll turn out....Argue

I tended to be quite militant at school and would happily row with a teacher in defense of my 'human rights' rather than let them have a go at me for being offended by a private conversation. IMO, your music teacher made a mistake by getting involved in the first place. That said, I guess this is one of those times when you need to choose your battles wisely.

You seem to be reasonably informed of the likely responses from 'lots' of the teachers but that also tells me that you can probably identify some supportive ones. It might be worth having a chat with one/some, informally, just to get that support. Who knows, you might find out that all your teachers think your music teacher's a douche!

In your shoes, I'd do my research, consider what's best for me (e.g. exercising free speech, keeping your head down) and consider the options which are most likely to leave me better off.
Sum ergo sum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5259 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  What should I do if I'm being forced to go to a Christian School? Socratic Meth Head 51 11627 June 10, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Are the far right Christians here in the U.S. just upset they're losing power GoHalos1993 52 7762 June 9, 2016 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 9003 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Daughter objects to prayers at school TubbyTubby 48 7559 July 10, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Going to a Roman Catholic school and expressing my opinion. piterski123 7 3364 April 28, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Anyone else an atheist while going to a Christian school? KentuckySkeptic224 7 3057 October 16, 2014 at 7:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  So my high school teacher is on the front page of the Huffington Post today... Mudhammam 22 5150 July 28, 2014 at 11:26 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Secularism in School Bob Kelso 24 5856 April 4, 2014 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  A new member. A Catholic school teacher. Mr. Moncrieff 105 20914 February 25, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda