Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you still.....?
Would you still.....?
I has a question for our theist friends. I'm only interested in your thoughts. I've been meaning to ask the question so here goes.

If god did not promis an afterlife, if there was no afterlife no matter how good or bad you've been, would you still follow a religion? Would you still go to church? Would you still worship? If there was no heaven or hell but there was a god, would you still believe, worship and such like normal? if you went straight into oblivion right after death, would you still believe and worship? Even though there is no reward like heaven or punishment like hell?

Just interested in your responce.Big Grin
It's a question I have been meaning to ask for a while. Now seems like a good time to ask it.

Ace
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
RE: Would you still.....?
I am not your theist friend, but atheist friend haha.

If I was a theist, and my god did not give an afterlife to me, I would not see any reason to worship him. This is only if "afterlife" refers to heaven as well as hell.

Thinking of it this way makes it seem like they are all so greedy for an afterlife, which their god would know they are just trying to get a free ticket into heaven, which is why atheists have problems with pascals wager. Or maybe they just genuinely want to please their god, for the sake of "blessings" while they have thier only time on this earth. This could include wanting their future generations to have blessings as well.

I'm not sure of which one it is for my family members.

Hopefully I have helped, from an atheistic POV. Big Grin
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
RE: Would you still.....?
I'm only just coming to grasp the basics of the 'afterlife' thing and I still don't really see the relevance. I've been a Christian for about 20 years on and off so I guess the answer is: yep I would/ do.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 36333 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 78718 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1797 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4052 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why are believers still afraid of death? Der/die AtheistIn 49 4598 March 8, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2569 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What would you do if you found out that God has nothing to do with religions? Little Rik 68 11632 October 8, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  What would you do if you found out Dog existed? Gawdzilla Sama 16 3334 October 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What would you do if you found out God can't possibly exist? Succubus 21 4641 October 7, 2017 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Would you attack the Church if you could? Macoleco 108 13947 December 19, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: energizer bunny