Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hi all.

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm from the UK so am not subjected to religion in the same way you poor guys in America are, but for some reason the whole thing still annoys me.

At school we were taught general Christian stuff, though much less as we got older. Most people didn't really care about religion, and the few Christians I did know would never have mentioned they were, except may in RE (religious education) class. We did sing hymns and pray occasionally in assembly, but no-one really understood why, and it just seemed to be a cultural thing with little meaning.

At university I did wonder why there were people that were both intelligent and relgious, but again it wasn't a big deal. Thinking back to both school and university I don't think amongst any students I ever heard the words "God" or "Jesus" mentioned once.

Going into the world of work however I did meet a couple of creationists. I hadn't heard of creationism until a few years earlier at university where a professor mentioned it as an off the cuff comment. I have also met at work people who believe in Ghosts, global warmning deniers etc etc. This has all led me to become quite interested in why people have such weird beliefs.

I did actually join the Christian Forums last year, though trying to understand what they actually believe and why they do is an impossible task. You could lead them through logical steps A-E, but as soon as they see where it is heading you just get some unfalsifiable non-sense spouted. I gave up in the end as I was getting nowhere. I still browse the forums occasionally as they can provide some amusement.

I actually think the more I delve into this stuff, the more angry I get that people believe this stuff. I'm not quite sure why it is so frustrating as I'm quite glad we do all have the freedom to believe what we want and having these people make the world quite interesting. I think it's when this stuff overlaps with things I studied (I did Physics at Uni) and people making factual statements about things they know nothing about, e.g. "Quantum theory proves Ghosts". It takes years to understand these subjects, not watching a 3 minute youtube video.

Anyway, bit of a ramble but there we go!
RE: Hello
Welcome

I think you'll like it here. Looking forward to your posts.
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

Quote:This has all led me to become quite interested in why people have such weird beliefs.

Don't discount the high probability that some people are just stupid.

Welcome to our little oasis of reason. Don't mind the handful of nutty theists.
(December 3, 2013 at 9:30 am)FreeTony Wrote: I actually think the more I delve into this stuff, the more angry I get that people believe this stuff. I'm not quite sure why it is so frustrating...
(partial quote)

I was getting angry too, and I found it a hindrance to my personal growth and acceptance of others (that I disagreed with). I've met some angry atheists (theists too), and for the most part, their anger seems to overshadow not only their considerations, but also their expression. No one likes an angry person.

Welcome
Yeah, you don't want to be THAT guy, do you?
Heyo and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Ok, more frustrated than angry. I'm a pretty happy and easy to get along with person generally, even with the nuttier members of the community.

Someone I know is doing a Ghost hunting official course, or some other bollocks like that. I'm quite happy just not bringing it up, though I do really want to make a comment.
Welcome, Tony, I hope you like our site!
Hello, tony.

Quite a few folk from the UK here, like me! Smile
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6002 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3648 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates