Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the forum
New to the forum
Hello people!

My name is Blake, and it's a pleasure to meet you all.

I'm sure on an atheist forum, I'm probably not the only atheist. I'd hope so anyways lol

I've been an atheist since I was 14, and I'm currently 21 so far that's remained a solid truth for me. The evidence really is on the side of atheism. At least I certainly haven't found anything to prove the existence of any kind of deity.

I'm hoping to meet new people, and have some actually interesting conversations. Smile
RE: New to the forum
Heya Blake,

nice to meet you... you'll have some pretty interesting conversations on this site I am sure.

I have found the scientific minded atheists to be rather stimulating, some other sites just get to linear.

what was your religion before atheism? or what was the dominating philosophy in your area>

I assume Christendom because of the english correct?
(December 21, 2013 at 3:17 am)λάθε βιώσας Wrote: Heya Blake,

nice to meet you... you'll have some pretty interesting conversations on this site I am sure.

I have found the scientific minded atheists to be rather stimulating, some other sites just get to linear.

what was your religion before atheism? or what was the dominating philosophy in your area>

I assume Christendom because of the english correct?

You have assumed correct, friend.

I was Christian, Baptist I guess in specific since my church had 'Baptist' in the name.

I used to be a very heavy bible-thumper. I even remember condemning my mom to hell for divorcing my dad. These days, I couldn't care less about what the bible has to say about anything.

I haven't gotten to fully breeze through things on here, but I'm enjoying myself so far Smile
There is no God, so can we please get back to science?
(December 21, 2013 at 3:24 am)Blake the Heretic Wrote: You have assumed correct, friend.

I was Christian, Baptist I guess in specific since my church had 'Baptist' in the name.

I used to be a very heavy bible-thumper. I even remember condemning my mom to hell for divorcing my dad. These days, I couldn't care less about what the bible has to say about anything.

I haven't gotten to fully breeze through things on here, but I'm enjoying myself so far Smile

That bible is probably just a piece of the truth? sometimes I feel it is not best to dismiss anything, but instead listen to them all or take them all in and see if any of it can make sense.

It's a very democratic way of looking at things, opens you up to all kind of people.

I think that Jesus cat was cool I have no problem with him or most all of them... I feel them if you know what I mean?

There are a few I have read about that I have not been too impressed with though... bad vibes aren't good vibes.

peace
(December 21, 2013 at 3:31 am)λάθε βιώσας Wrote: That bible is probably just a piece of the truth? sometimes I feel it is not best to dismiss anything, but instead listen to them all or take them all in and see if any of it can make sense.

It's a very democratic way of looking at things, opens you up to all kind of people.

I think that Jesus cat was cool I have no problem with him or most all of them... I feel them if you know what I mean?

There are a few I have read about that I have not been too impressed with though... bad vibes aren't good vibes.

peace

The bible is certainly a piece of cultural history in the United states, and more so it plays a major role throughout history so i would never wish to see it fade away completely. I'd just wish people wouldn't so blindly accept it as truth.

Jesus is an interesting character. Definitely a huge step up morally from the character of Yahweh.

I haven't gotten to chat with too many people yet, so I'll reserve judgement for the time being
(December 21, 2013 at 3:36 am)Blake the Heretic Wrote: The bible is certainly a piece of cultural history in the United states, and more so it plays a major role throughout history so i would never wish to see it fade away completely. I'd just wish people wouldn't so blindly accept it as truth.

Jesus is an interesting character. Definitely a huge step up morally from the character of Yahweh.

I haven't gotten to chat with too many people yet, so I'll reserve judgement for the time being

You know that's an interesting idea, although I never really reject anything it is possible there might not be enough to consume here in conversation with others.

Still I reserve judgement for someone else, as I am not judgmental.

I think American history more revolves it's biblical aspect around Martin Luther and William Tyndale, and the early puritans who told the Pope to shove it.

They started something new rolling here in the United States, and very much a Christian concept, as they considered their version the "true christian religion" and wrote a Constitution with their opinions in mind.

Of course they had a deep sense of the history of the human race, they didn't have much better to do back then besides work and study.
(December 21, 2013 at 3:43 am)λάθε βιώσας Wrote: You know that's an interesting idea, although I never really reject anything it is possible there might not be enough to consume here in conversation with others.

Still I reserve judgement for someone else, as I am not judgmental.

I think American history more revolves it's biblical aspect around Martin Luther and William Tyndale, and the early puritans who told the Pope to shove it.

They started something new rolling here in the United States, and very much a Christian concept, as they considered their version the "true christian religion" and wrote a Constitution with their opinions in mind.

Of course they had a deep sense of the history of the human race, they didn't have much better to do back then besides work and study.

I think there is plenty to gain from new conversations. Even if it's just making a connection with new like-minded people. ya know?

I try not to judge, I know i wouldn't want to be. Some places I'm a good person, other places I'm probably not. It's a side-effect of being human.

America has some pretty deep rooted Christian culture. It played a big role in most of major political debates throughout history: Slavery, the civil rights movement, women's rights, Gay rights, and I'm sure it played its role in wartime as well.

We did start something new, however, what we started has been corrupted in recent decades, and only a handful of people even seem to notice this.

I wouldn't have survived in colonial times. I'm not well geared towards techless survival :p
Welcome, Blake. You'll find a lot of atheists here, many of them completely at ease with their non-belief (I am one). Some have fascinating de-conversion stories; others, like me, are life-long atheists. I guarantee you will find many with whom to discuss your experiences. I hope you enjoy your time here!

Welcome

λάθε βιώσας, I need to dispel you of the notion that the USA was founded as a Christian nation. It was not. It was expressly founded as a nation intended to be free of religious persecution of any kind, in response to the yoke of English (Anglican) rule. The Constitution was not written with an intent of an official or "true Christian religion" in mind, as you assert -- not at all. In fact, just the opposite. Unfortunately, there is now quite a successful meme that is was, however, thanks to intentional and focused Christian revisionism.
Welcome Blake. Heretics are always good. They annoy the shit out of the orthodox.
(December 21, 2013 at 9:42 am)Raeven Wrote: I need to dispel you of the notion that the USA was founded as a Christian nation. It was not. It was expressly founded as a nation intended to be free of religious persecution of any kind, in response to the yoke of English (Anglican) rule. The Constitution was not written with an intent of an official or "true Christian religion" in mind, as you assert -- not at all. In fact, just the opposite. Unfortunately, there is now quite a successful meme that is was, however, thanks to intentional and focused Christian revisionism.

Enter the Protestants, the bane of religious governmental institutions worldwide, namely the Catholic Church...

From my years young in days of youth,
God did make known to me his truth,
And call'd me from my native place
For to enjoy the means of grace.
In wilderness he did me guide,
And in strange lands for me provide.
In fears and wants, through weal and woe,
A pilgrim, past I to and fro.

-William Bradford

In describing the emotional worship service before the Pilgrim church's departure from Holland, Governor William Bradford wrote that Reverend John Robinson:

…spent a good part of the day very profitably and suitable to their present occasion; the rest of the time was spent pouring out prayers to the Lord with great fervency, mixed with abundance of tears. And the time being come that they must depart, they were accompanied with most of their brethren out of the city, unto a town sundry miles off called Delftshaven, where the ship lay ready to receive them. So they left that goodly and pleasant city which had been their resting place near twelve years; but they knew they were pilgrims, and looked not much on those things, but lift up their eyes to the heavens, their dearest country, and quieted their spirits.

This passage from Bradford's manuscript Of Plymouth Plantation makes reference to the Epistle to the Hebrews 11:13-16. According to the Geneva Bible (1560), the translation preferred by most Pilgrims, this reads:

(13) All these dyed in faith, and received not the promises, but sawe them a farre of, and beleved them, and received them thankefully, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgremes on the earth. (14) For they that say suche things, declare plainely that they seke a countrey. (15) And if they had bene mindeful of that countrey, from whence they came out, they had leasure to have returned. (16) But now they desire a better, that is an heavenlie: wherefore God is not ashamed of them to be called their God; for he hathe prepared for them a citie.

Bradford's description of Robinson's worship service first appeared in print in Nathaniel Morton's New England's Memorial (1669), a popular chronicle of Plymouth Colony written by the governor's nephew. It is on the basis of this excerpt that Mayflower's passengers first became known as the Pilgrim Fathers, or Pilgrims, in the late 1700s.

Who were the Pilgrims?

If we really want to understand them, we must try to look beyond the legends and see them as they saw themselves. They were English people who sought to escape the religious controversies and economic problems of their time by emigrating to America.

Many of the Pilgrims were members of a Puritan sect known as the Separatists. They believed that membership in the Church of England violated the biblical precepts for true Christians, and they had to break away and form independent congregations that adhered more strictly to divine requirements. A passage from the Second Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians gave urgency to their actions. The Geneva translation for Second Corinthians 6: 16-18 reads:

(16) And what agrement hathe the Temple of God with idoles? for ye are the Temple of the living God: as God hathe said, I wil dwell among them, and walke there; and I wil be their God, and shalbe my people. (17) Wherefore come out from among them, and separate your selves, faith the Lord: and touche none uncleane thing, & I wil receive you. (18) And I wil be a Father unto you, and ye shalbe my sonnes and daughters, saith the Lord almightie.

(16 - idols = Pope)

http://www.plimoth.org/what-see-do/17th-...h-pilgrims

PLIMOTH MASS - Smithsonian Institution

[National Monument to the Forefathers inscription:]
"Thus out of small beginnings greater things have been produced by His hand that made all things of nothing and gives being to all things that are; and as one small candle may light a thousand, so the light here kindled hath shone unto many, yea in some sort to our whole nation; let the glorious name of Jehovah have all praise."

[Image: 3ddd3be2224830f15c0d2d85eed6ce22.jpg?itok=eDlRJsDc]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Mo...orefathers

[ the world's largest solid granite monument points ▲]

[The Stone Bench inscription:]
In memory of the Pilgrim Fathers and Mothers whose new idealism established the basic principles of the government of our land.

[The Sarcophagus Monument with the names that are engraved, the inscription reads:]
Here under cover of darkness the fast dwindling company laid their dead, leveling the earth above them lest the Indians should learn how many were their graves. Reader, history records no nobler venture for faith and freedom than that of this pilgrim band. In weariness and painfulness in watchings often in hunger and cold, they laid the foundations of a state wherein every man through countless ages should have liberty to worship God in his own way. May their example inspire thee to do thy part in perpetuating and spreading the lofty ideals of our Republic throughout the world.

[Image: Tomb.JPG]

greetings

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New[ish] to the forum OakTree500 15 1121 February 19, 2020 at 6:03 am
Last Post: Smedders
  New Atheist to Forum Saying Hi.... TonyPhotographer 11 1593 November 12, 2016 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Old atheist, new to forum Bunburryist 25 2609 August 10, 2016 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  NEW TO THE FORUM GUIDE ME :P logicNartman 9 1703 July 9, 2016 at 12:24 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Hi! New to the forum vendetta 16 1978 September 6, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  New to the forum vervillev 18 1973 July 11, 2014 at 2:01 am
Last Post: vervillev
  New to the forum SecularHumanistSociety 10 2071 February 8, 2014 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Looking for new forum home. Hobbitgirl 41 6826 November 1, 2013 at 9:01 am