Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Science eliminates the need for God(s)
Science eliminates the need for God(s)
In pre-scientific times, people explained events such as rain and thunder by postulating the existence of supernatural deities. E.g. rain was caused by the rain god and thunder by the thunder god. Note that the term "supernatural" is relative, and by it I mean anything that is not readily explainable. As knowledge and science progressed, natural explanations were found for these events, eliminating the need for the existence of deities and gods. The arc of history is towards science and away from religion. In terms of explanatory power, religion is being squeezed out by scientific understanding more and more every day.

Eventually there will be a day when science can explain everything and religion will be completely superfluous. I look forward to that day.

<snip>
RE: Science eliminates the need for God(s)
God of the gaps apologetics in 3... 2... 1...
(January 5, 2014 at 1:38 pm)pocaracas Wrote: God of the gaps apologetics in 3... 2... 1...

Sorry I'm late!Tongue
Quote:As knowledge and science progressed, natural explanations were found for these events, eliminating the need for the existence of deities and gods. The arc of history is towards science and away from religion. In terms of explanatory power, religion is being squeezed out by scientific understanding more and more every day.

I think there is a fundamental flaw in this argument. That being the underlying assumption that the reason for religion is to plug the gaps in knowledge. I don't think thats true. I think the main reason for religion is "fear of the dark".

I evidence my argument thus. Human existence has a perfectly good and adequate scientific explanation in evolution. Sadly however, about half of Americans STILL don't believe in evolution. I can't see how anyone would reach the YEC position without starting from a position of religious belief.

In short, you underestimate the human capacity to ignore evidence.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Quote:Sadly however, about half of Americans STILL don't believe in evolution.

It depends on where you start your journey. If you start with a firm belief in the bullshit of the bible then they would rather cut off their own balls than concede that it isn't right.

However, I agree with the basic premise of the thread. Mankind no longer looks to create "gods" to explain natural phenomena. For example, when black holes were discovered no one invented a god of black holes to live in them. WE have matured a bit as a species. Not much but enough for that.
You're dumb.

If you ask me the meaning of life, I might tell you it is to learn how to make your own meaning, cause that's the life I'm living. Many people do not invest the self-reflection necessary to craft their own "Gwynnite," so they take one off the shelf.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3101 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 37196 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  No need for a god. hilary 9 3082 August 14, 2015 at 3:41 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Has Science done away with a need for God? Kingpin 152 24776 August 4, 2015 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  Do we need to study all the religions to know that God doesn't exist? Twisted 14 4393 May 9, 2015 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Observational Science vs. Historical Science?! Duke Guilmon 8 3372 April 27, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Why do we need god? tor 49 8646 March 27, 2014 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Bittersmart
  God vs Science Debate orogenicman 1 1229 March 27, 2013 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Joel
  Let's say that science proves that God exists FKHansen 157 35104 March 7, 2013 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: iameatingjam
  Why Does God Need A Creator? chasingthetruth 107 27855 February 24, 2013 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: Atothetheist