Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Don't force your beliefs on others"
"Don't force your beliefs on others"
I read/hear this quite a bit: "Don't try and force your beliefs onto me". To be fair it's not always amongst religious people, it also seems to apply to other beliefs that people have that they don't have a good reason to hold, other than culture/traditions etc.

I find the whole idea absurd for a few reasons:

1) If the evidence and/or reason for your belief is that suspect/lacking that a few people disagreeing makes you change it, then this is a good thing and likely to bring you closer to the belief supported by the most evidence.

2) If your beliefs are only influenced by whoever has the loudest voice, again you should question why you hold them.

3) If you have solid evidence for your belief, then a few people questioning them is a good thing. You can check whether there are any good arguments against your belief. I personally belief the Earth is a sphere, however I don't have any problem with people teling me it is flat. If they had any solid evidence to show me I would investigate further.

I don't think I have ever heard someone claim that having changed their beliefs about something has been a bad thing, and that the person/people that convinced them to change their mind were wrong to do so.

There is also a weird cultural aspect, where questioning a political view is seen as more acceptable than questioning a religious belief.

Any thoughts?
RE: "Don't force your beliefs on others"
The term "Don't force your beliefs on me" usually applies to Jehovah's witnesses or those bible bashing freaks preaching in city centres from my experience. I'm all for people expressing themselves, but trying to bother me when I'm not interested in having such a debate is something I don't need, and I'm gonna be a little pissed off about it.
(January 6, 2014 at 8:41 am)Napoléon Wrote: The term "Don't force your beliefs on me" usually applies to Jehovah's witnesses or those bible bashing freaks preaching in city centres from my experience.
While that is true, I would put those who want laws or regulations put into place that also reflect their beliefs.
IE... disallowing same-sex marriage because the Bible says it's wrong is also forcing your belief on others.
(January 6, 2014 at 6:03 am)FreeTony Wrote: I personally belief the Earth is a sphere...

It's an oblate spheroid. Stop trying to push your beliefs on me. Big Grin
(January 6, 2014 at 9:04 am)houseofcantor Wrote: It's an oblate spheroid. Stop trying to push your beliefs on me. Big Grin

Now you're forcing your beliefs on me! However you are correct.

What I find even stranger is when religious people complain about Atheists doing this. Forcing a lack of belief onto someone is essentially saying "I don't believe you have any evidence for your beliefs, but have you?" Sadly this is enough to get you killed in some places.
It's just more of the faux persecution routine that jesus freaks employ whenever someone tells them they can't sprinkle their bullshit freely across the landscape.

Fuck 'em.
Someone tell Minimalist to stop persecuting me. Fucking Christians is DEFINITELY persecution!

Help help I'm being repressed .
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
I think it's time for this:

Quote: Fucking Christians is DEFINITELY persecution!

It can be done nicely.
(January 6, 2014 at 12:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: Fucking Christians is DEFINITELY persecution!

It can be done nicely.

Yeah right! You'd do me up the bum without so much as a courtesy spit for lube if I let ya!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There are no "isms" just beliefs and positions. Brian37 14 1203 September 1, 2021 at 5:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15646 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7049 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  The Atheist Experience talk show by Matt Dillahunty and others Alexmahone 12 2692 December 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4477 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Beliefs, Significant Others and Compromises Bob Kelso 20 4890 September 6, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  A higher force Excited Penguin 66 9217 August 12, 2015 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Religion, ghosts, gods, chupacabra and beliefs? Dorian Gray 12 4205 October 20, 2014 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs? Hezekiah 50 9148 October 5, 2014 at 2:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Irrational beliefs ManMachine 29 4667 July 27, 2014 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: Jackalope