Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 5:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism Tattoo --- Hypocritical?
Atheism Tattoo --- Hypocritical?
So here's the deal - I want to get an atheism themed tattoo, but I need some opinions.

My concern is that it is a little hypocritical for me to permanently tattoo a symbol of atheism, when I'm very vocal about the fact that I am, and everyone else should be open to new evidence.

Now I am not really worried about said evidence fucking up my tattoo. I am more worried about the hypocritical message, if there even is one.

The other side that i love is that I want to show that being an atheist is something you can be proud of or at least that you shouldn't have to hide. This sounds way more preachy and lame than I mean it to, but you get it.

I'm totally unoriginal, (I only have one idea that I didn't take from the interwebs) so here's what I got so far:
[Image: atattoo.jpg]

[Image: Tattoo.jpg]

[Image: 670pxAtheism_symbol.svg.jpg]

[Image: GyWoyoy.jpg]

[Image: atheist_tribal_tattoo_by_creatorfromhell-d4gx6hn.jpg]

And mine own idea: an H with a superscript O. (The symbol for the Higgs Boson.) I like the idea of there being a science influence.

Whaddaya think?
RE: Atheism Tattoo --- Hypocritical?
If you want to show off that you are an atheist without having a permanent potentially hypocritical tattoo, get some jewlery. There are some rings and necklaces out there that are quite cool. I have a Flying Spaghetti Monster ring, and I love it!
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Oh, you have an 'A' tatooed... is your name Arnold? Armstrong? Alan? Albert? Alfred? Alex? Abel?
Get this one:

[Image: I-aint-afraid-of-no-ghost.jpg]
I don't know if you were originally a Christian, but this one would be good if you were;
[Image: P3EBur6.png]
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Re: Atheism Tattoo --- Hypocritical?
Here's mine.

[Image: 6eterubu.jpg]
(January 15, 2014 at 6:06 am)pocaracas Wrote: Oh, you have an 'A' tatooed... is your name Arnold? Armstrong? Alan? Albert? Alfred? Alex? Abel?

Nope. I am an atheist. Easy workaround...

(January 15, 2014 at 6:54 am)StuW Wrote: Here's mine.

[Image: 6eterubu.jpg]

I think i like that one or the dna version the best.

I'm now really excited. I think I might be over the whole hypocritical thing...
(January 15, 2014 at 5:24 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: So here's the deal - I want to get an atheism themed tattoo, but I need some opinions.

My concern is that it is a little hypocritical for me to permanently tattoo a symbol of atheism, when I'm very vocal about the fact that I am, and everyone else should be open to new evidence.

If you get the unadorned red "A" from the first picture and then become a theist in the future, you can always just add other letters in the same color and script and spell something with the A.

Quote:[Image: Tattoo.jpg]

This is my personal favorite of the ones you provided. I also like the rosary that turns into the double helix but that wouldn't fit everyone.

Quote:Whaddaya think?

Whatever you get just make sure it's personal to you. I have two tattoos, one of which is my zodiac sign and even though I know astrology is bullshit and you interpret your zodiac sign into meaning what you want it to mean I still love that tattoo because means more to me than just "I was born between November 20-something and December 20-something."
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I love ink! Get them all.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Just have it changed to something else if you change your mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27179 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
Question Is the Chapel Hill incident hypocritical of Anti-Thiests? coolfunkDJ 30 7302 March 3, 2015 at 12:08 am
Last Post: psychoslice
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12532 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  So toay i got my triangle tattoo and watched what happend AugumentAthiest666 3 1332 December 8, 2014 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12168 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
Wink New Tattoo ThePinsir 1 946 March 25, 2014 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10507 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12023 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38127 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack