Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The end of Christianity?
The end of Christianity?
I have been thinking about why christianity is still around and is difficult to "extinct". Christians would argue, oh it says in the bible in Isaiah 40:8
Quote:The grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of our God endures forever.
which is a little cute defense that the creators of the bible thought would come in handy later one juuuuust in case they started to have their reputation attacked.

so does anyone have any info that i should know?
i do know that christianity over the years has been decreasing, im not sure how accurate the statistics of that are but... yea
xR34P3Rx
it isn't in our nature to think of a God, it is in our nature to seek answers and the concept of God is most influenced in this world.
RE: The end of Christianity?
I have heard that USA is about the last country that's predominantly christian, and even here it's decreasing. Unfortunately I've heard islam is growing like wildfire. Not that I think everyone in that religion is of the extreme. Those are just the most newsworthy ones. It's not like we don't have our extremists over here. Of course if you're hearing about declining christianity and growing islam, that's got to leave some christians not sleeping well at night.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I don't think religion will go away for a long time. It's part of society. But hopefully we're coming to an age (and we're already seeing this in US Christianity) where's it's non-intrusive, and more spiritual and personal instead of intrusive.
"The consolations of philosophy and the beauties of science; these things are infinitely more awe-inspiring and regenerating and majestic than any invocation of the burning bush or doctrine." - Christopher Hitchens
Last developed country that's predominantly Christian, and if trends continue, Christianity is headed towards becoming the religion of a minority. Protestants are about to sink as the religious majority already at down to 51%. It may take centuries for Christianity as a whole in the USA to dwindle down to 5%.
(January 21, 2014 at 1:48 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Last developed country that's predominantly Christian, and if trends continue, Christianity is headed towards becoming the religion of a minority. Protestants are about to sink as the religious majority already at down to 51%. It may take centuries for Christianity as a whole in the USA to dwindle down to 5%.

I'm sure I won't live to see it, but perhaps my grandchildren or great-grandchildren will see the day when Christians become a toothless minority curiosity in the U.S. with no real political power beyond the numbers they can muster on election day.
I'm glad I lived to at least see the start of it.

As the old fucks die and the young ones ignore it, it will fade. How long did it take Europe to cast off the bonds of mental slavery?
(January 21, 2014 at 2:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm glad I lived to at least see the start of it.

As the old fucks die and the young ones ignore it, it will fade. How long did it take Europe to cast off the bonds of mental slavery?

Yes, it will fade but not in the way it faded in Europe. There they had experienced brutal wars and terrorism due to Christian/Jew and Catholic/Protestant religious bigotry. They grew out of it because they had to.

Here every two-bit schmuck can set up a church in a strip mall and compete in the marketplace of "ideas" and few people blink, let alone view it as something shameful. The laughter and mockery of people realizing the Emperor has no clothes is what will eventually do in Christianity, but it will take some time and there will be a great deal of push-back from the faithful as their hold on power and respectability becomes more and more tenuous. The whiny persecution fantasies of believers today will seem mild compared to what is coming.

Yes, it's good to see the beginning of it, but -- damn it! -- I wish I could be there to see the end of it.
It's a generational thing, the last generation to subscribe to christianity en masse in the UK was the WWII generation who are now reaching life expectancy. As such our churches should be gone in next 20-30 years.
In the US the average age of the congregation is lower but shows the same trend, in effect you'll have to wait for the average age to equal life expectancy. (In the UK the average age of the congregation is about 7 years from life expectancy) I think the average age for US congregations is about 20 years from life expectancy though trying to nail down a figure is like pulling teeth even on the net.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(January 21, 2014 at 10:44 am)xr34p3rx Wrote: I have been thinking about why christianity is still around and is difficult to "extinct". Christians would argue, oh it says in the bible in Isaiah 40:8
Quote:The grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of our God endures forever.
which is a little cute defense that the creators of the bible thought would come in handy later one juuuuust in case they started to have their reputation attacked.

so does anyone have any info that i should know?
i do know that christianity over the years has been decreasing, im not sure how accurate the statistics of that are but... yea

All religions declared their gods' longevity and future reign. Kings and empires did as well. Consider this passage in the Enuma Elish, the ancient Babylonian scriptures which preceded the Genesis creation myths, which declare the everlasting supremecy of the god Marduk: "The Merciful One, with whom it is to bestow life!" May his deeds endure, may they never be forgotten, In the mouth of mankind whom his hands have made!"
(January 21, 2014 at 11:02 am)Chad32 Wrote: I have heard that USA is about the last country that's predominantly christian, and even here it's decreasing. Unfortunately I've heard islam is growing like wildfire. Not that I think everyone in that religion is of the extreme. Those are just the most newsworthy ones. It's not like we don't have our extremists over here. Of course if you're hearing about declining christianity and growing islam, that's got to leave some christians not sleeping well at night.

Do you mean the last among the First World nations? In the Second World, it's actually increasing and it's still quite strong in the Third World (Armenia has 92% of the population stating they are Christian).
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce' Duty 20 3463 March 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  List of religious end times/Second coming of Jesus predictions purplepurpose 13 4173 November 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8691 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1755 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5197 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  i think we are living in the end times! Rextos 5 1772 December 17, 2015 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  how do you think life on earth will end? Rextos 42 6539 November 18, 2015 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Religion must end. Spooky 60 9332 April 24, 2015 at 12:35 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  so its the end of the world what do you do. dyresand 35 5125 November 16, 2014 at 2:49 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The ironic end of chrisitianity robvalue 37 4106 September 16, 2014 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda