Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is a god?
what is a god?
I have been wondering lately. Around here you see theists claim god is this or god is that, and often they will contradict each other and we spend a lot of time on that. However tonight I began to wonder what exactly is a God? Because until we answer that then how can we make any claims as to what it is and is not. I have a feeling some may refer to something like William Lane Craig's maximally great being, but even that doesn't serve as it is like say the biggest number is infinity, all I have to do to come up with a bigger number is day inifinity plus 1. So what constitutes a god?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: what is a god?
You won't get a straight answer. I've asked this of almost every theist who asks me why I don't have a religion. None of them had an answer.
Whatever Lek says it is, apparently.
An imaginary friend? A schizophrenic delusion? A crutch? An excuse? Take your pick.
(February 2, 2014 at 10:43 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: You won't get a straight answer. I've asked this of almost every theist who asks me why I don't have a religion. None of them had an answer.
Half the reason I do not religion is because it does not give straight answers.
Signifying nothing.
God is something that does not exist.
All I know is this:

[Image: tumblr_mtwnqoGLNZ1rgco4uo4_250.gif]
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(February 2, 2014 at 11:05 pm)Tonus Wrote: All I know is this:

[Image: tumblr_mtwnqoGLNZ1rgco4uo4_250.gif]
And when a fellow god asks you to have god sex to create a new reality, say no so your reality isn't destroyed and everyone you've ever known doesn't cease to exist.

(Buffy Season 8 comic reference.)
God
(noun)

What happens when the human mind encounters an error and needs to close.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I'm surprised none of the local widlife has stepped up to this question
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19461 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie