Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My view of a god
My view of a god
I have been thinking that if there is a God, it could be the universe and thus we are 'god', well according to my understanding of logic (though I think its faulty and and corrections are most welcome).

Now when I say God, I mean a entity that may or may not be conscious or self aware and has powers (A term i use very loosely) to influence the universe/it self.

This would mean that it could know everything that there is currently to know and could know that you know because it is you and s everywere as it is everything but would not be all powerful as it it can not break the laws that 'it' has set.

Now I want you to tear this apart so my understand of logic and the universe and what every else is solid. As if my 'logic' can be distoryed it should be to I can gain a more soild understanding. As if you don't I am going to be going around in circles forever with this.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: My view of a god
Big "if"

Nothing to support it.

Unlikely.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
People have the power to influence the universe. The universe itself does not.
Why name it "god" do u believe this entity is persnl.. ?
So your god is limited to the physically existing universe. It has the power that the universe has, natural and human. It carries at least human knowledge, that being part of the universe.

Your god adds nothing to reality/is superfluous.
(February 17, 2014 at 3:43 pm)truthBtold Wrote: Why name it "god" do u believe this entity is persnl.. ?
I called it 'god' because I did not know what else to call it,
and the entity may be part of us, but does not care/concerned (like a cell in our body).

Truth be told, I don't know what to believe about 'god', just all religions are complete bullshit.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
The problem with the term "god" is that it is an identity, subject to transference and projection. Identity is built from exclusion; the universe, by definition, inclusion.
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]
Hi Gooders,
So you'd believe in some kind of pantheistic/panentheistic god(s)?
Sounds like plain old deism to me.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 18, 2014 at 8:50 pm)Shep Wrote: Hi Gooders,
So you'd believe in some kind of pantheistic/panentheistic god(s)?

I don't get quite those meanings, but I am unsure of its existence, so I believe that either there is no god or god is the universe and we are part of it, whether it knows and/or cares were there or not I have no clue.

(February 17, 2014 at 6:43 pm)houseofcantor Wrote: The problem with the term "god" is that it is an identity, subject to transference and projection. Identity is built from exclusion; the universe, by definition, inclusion.

I see what you mean, but I have no better word for it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1403 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  How I view all the world's religions. Brian37 0 603 March 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Theists: would you view the truth? robvalue 154 18379 December 25, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Religion invokes a One-sided World View Heat 24 6190 December 9, 2015 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Heat
  My point of view on religion. Vegamo 0 1141 April 2, 2015 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Vegamo
  How do christians view apostasy TubbyTubby 76 13330 December 15, 2014 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19461 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  A different view of God Escherscurtain 4 1515 March 25, 2014 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  An interesting view from Isaac Newton on prophecy professor 1 1519 October 20, 2013 at 10:11 am
Last Post: Something completely different
  Christian scholars: 1 man, 1 woman isn't the Bible's only marriage view little_monkey 5 3694 June 4, 2013 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas