Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Jesus Sell Us Out?
Did Jesus Sell Us Out?
Hey Folks,

I am pondering two interesting questions:

In the Garden of Gethsemane why did Jesus ask God to 'Take This Cup'. For someone who is supposed to be 'God' (As Christians Claim) then would he not be opting to not die on the cross.

The next part is the fact that if Jesus was God then he would clearly know what paradise is and would more than likely know that Pain on earth is nothing in comparison to Heaven and that its only Temporal.

Given that Jesus said this would it not be true that Jesus was actually appealing for God to send us all to 'Hell' so he could walk away - Jesus if he did this wilfully he would have never said such a prayer.

Lets Examine

Quote:27 “Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.

Jesus said that he will Not ask God for Help and to save him from this hour..

Quote:42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”

Again if Jesus was God why on earth would he appeal to himself to remove the cup from himself so that his own will can be done.

My view is that Jesus most likely is NOT God he may well have been a Prophet and Wise teacher but he is NOT under any circumstances God.

The Johannine Comma is a prime example of something that was added around 300 AD to enforce the Idea of the Trinity and the whole 3 Gods in 1.

My Ultimate Question Is :: Did Jesus Sell Out Man Kind Even When He Said He WOULD NOT!
Rants and Raves from an Ex-Christian http://walkofthemonkeyman.blogspot.co.uk/
RE: Did Jesus Sell Us Out?
What i think is that its all a bunch of bullshit. He didnt want the cup cause two girls used it.. now for christians, the nonsense will start in 3...2..1...
Nontrinitarianism

Quote:Nontrinitarians also dispute the veracity of the Nicene Creed based on its adoption nearly 300 years after the life of Jesus as a result of conflict within pre-Nicene early Christianity.

The Gospels of Luke and John have been dated to the first century. There were many different versions of early Christianity so who knows what the authors of these Gospels really believed? Luke's full version of the Mount of Olives incident is rather interesting.

Luke 22. 30-45

Quote:Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40 On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” 41 He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.[c]

45 When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46 “Why are you sleeping?” he asked them. “Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.”

This suggests to me that -

1: Jesus wasn't supposed to be God.

2: He got cold feet at the thought of being crucified and gave into the temptation of asking God if he'd change his mind.

3: He was still prepared to go through with it if God didn't change his mind.

4: God sent an angel to strengthen him.

5: He knew he had to go through with it so he might have been asking God for strength in his anguish.

Was Jesus prepared to sell the human race out? Maybe he thought God could find another way of saving us all from sin. We'll never know what the Luke Gospel author really meant, though, because everything's been obscured by later theology. It's also possible that the real meaning was suppressed as heretical.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(April 17, 2014 at 7:24 am)Confused Ape Wrote: Nontrinitarianism

Quote:Nontrinitarians also dispute the veracity of the Nicene Creed based on its adoption nearly 300 years after the life of Jesus as a result of conflict within pre-Nicene early Christianity.

The Gospels of Luke and John have been dated to the first century. There were many different versions of early Christianity so who knows what the authors of these Gospels really believed? Luke's full version of the Mount of Olives incident is rather interesting.

Luke 22. 30-45

Quote:Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40 On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” 41 He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.[c]

45 When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46 “Why are you sleeping?” he asked them. “Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.”

This suggests to me that -

1: Jesus wasn't supposed to be God.

2: He got cold feet at the thought of being crucified and gave into the temptation of asking God if he'd change his mind.

3: He was still prepared to go through with it if God didn't change his mind.

4: God sent an angel to strengthen him.

5: He knew he had to go through with it so he might have been asking God for strength in his anguish.

Was Jesus prepared to sell the human race out? Maybe he thought God could find another way of saving us all from sin. We'll never know what the Luke Gospel author really meant, though, because everything's been obscured by later theology. It's also possible that the real meaning was suppressed as heretical.

Your right see this is the problem, We don't have any of the Original Texts and from what I've been reading we have over 300,000 variants of the NT Texts.

If Jesus was God and knew everything then asking God if there was another way would be non-nonsensical because he would know if there was or was not?!

To be honest there are people on this earth who go through worse Tortures than Jesus did back then so I find it hard when people say that Jesus was put through all this.

Heck he DID NOT Fulfill any prophecy according to the Jews and they started the Religion!
Rants and Raves from an Ex-Christian http://walkofthemonkeyman.blogspot.co.uk/
I think it's just an artifact of a flea infested 1st century con artist trying to make his story have some emotional zing to help sell it to the dimwitted.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
Yeah, this whole notion is a lot of why there was a schism between people who believed Jesus was God and people who believed he was human. This is why the modern stance doubles down on this and declares he's simultaneously both.

Since we can't technically observe him, does this make him Schrödinger's Jesus?
(April 17, 2014 at 7:35 am)themonkeyman Wrote: To be honest there are people on this earth who go through worse Tortures than Jesus did back then so I find it hard when people say that Jesus was put through all this.

If you were going to be crucified would you think, "I shouldn't complain because some people have gone through worse tortures"?

This doesn't mean that there was a Jesus who was crucified, of course.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 19254 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4414 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5880 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus decompose? Natachan 77 5893 March 26, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8507 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How long did Jesus spend in Hell? Gawdzilla Sama 43 7024 February 5, 2018 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Did Jesus Christ ever tell a joke ? The Wise Joker 12 2702 January 31, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 24105 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Did Jesus exist? Jehanne 374 42549 February 13, 2016 at 9:21 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Did you know god is a lair so is jesus dyresand 18 4492 July 10, 2015 at 3:21 am
Last Post: robvalue