Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did god create the universe?
How did god create the universe?
Often god is the explanation for the existence of the universe by people of faith, but even if you accept something like the cosmological argument you still have another question to deal with: How did god create the universe, if he indeed did create it? And if you don't know how god can create a universe, how can you seriously accept god as an explanation? You're replacing the question we don't know the answer to: "How did the universe come into existence?". With another question: "How did god make the universe come into existence?". A mystery is replaced with another mystery that we will never know.

A common answer to this question would probably be: "God is omnipotent, he can do anything, he willed it into existence". So what if he's omnipotent, and so what if he willed it into existence? How could he 'will' it into existence? This sounds more like magic than a serious explanation. At least scientific models of the universe can explain 'how' it got to where it is, if you propose god (and your argument is successful, which it isn't) it's only explaining 'what' got our universe here. If god indeed did create our universe, we will never find an explanation for how the universe got here. Because who could possibly know? Only god can know right? Thus god can never be considered a satisfying explanation.
RE: How did god create the universe?
[Image: God_da554a_1276669.gif]
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(April 18, 2014 at 2:46 am)Freedom of thought Wrote: Often god is the explanation for the existence of the universe by people of faith, but even if you accept something like the cosmological argument you still have another question to deal with: How did god create the universe, if he indeed did create it? And if you don't know how god can create a universe, how can you seriously accept god as an explanation? You're replacing the question we don't know the answer to: "How did the universe come into existence?". With another question: "How did god make the universe come into existence?". A mystery is replaced with another mystery that we will never know.

A common answer to this question would probably be: "God is omnipotent, he can do anything, he willed it into existence". So what if he's omnipotent, and so what if he willed it into existence? How could he 'will' it into existence? This sounds more like magic than a serious explanation. At least scientific models of the universe can explain 'how' it got to where it is, if you propose god (and your argument is successful, which it isn't) it's only explaining 'what' got our universe here. If god indeed did create our universe, we will never find an explanation for how the universe got here. Because who could possibly know? Only god can know right? Thus god can never be considered a satisfying explanation.

If we're going all theistic about the origin of the universe, I confess to being fond of the Douglas Adams theory:

The universe was sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure, and we should all live in fear of the time of the coming of The Big White Handkerchief.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"God" isn't an answer to any scientific question. The only real answer to origins is that we don't know.

The theological first cause argument posits a singularity. Yet another theological argument posits a non time delimited dimension: God is permanently extant. Ultimately none of these satisfy the something from nothing question.
I don't even know what a god is.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(April 18, 2014 at 7:00 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: I don't even know what a god is.

Who does? Big Grin
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
God made the world with WORDS.

This is one reason why we will give account for every useless word, and by our words we will be justified or by our words we will be condemned.
(April 18, 2014 at 7:56 am)professor Wrote: God made the world with WORDS.

This is one reason why we will give account for every useless word, and by our words we will be justified or by our words we will be condemned.

Huh?

So you're saying the cops knew internal affairs were setting them up?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

I guess there is no need for any more science when we can just make up absurdities that link two completely unrelated fields.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6211 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 872 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why did God get rid of the Trilobites? Jehanne 41 2926 October 24, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 4036 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 2838 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 9550 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Create a new monotheistic religion instead of clinging to the past of Abraham Kaloomi 68 9319 June 18, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  The purpose of human life is probably to create "Artificial General Intelligence" uncool 45 8906 February 1, 2018 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Answers to "if god did not exist" Foxaèr 25 8932 June 2, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4457 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13