Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Debating Christians
Debating Christians
Ok, I don't know if this is just me but am I the only one who absolutely enjoys arguing/debating w/ christians? I just love it when they get pissed at the fact that i'm an atheist and the way they react is just really funny to me! xD

So ya if anyone else intentionally makes it a point for christians to know that they are atheist so they'll get mad, let me know lol

Also I do it just to hear the bullshit they say back to me haha
RE: Debating Christians
(May 6, 2014 at 5:20 pm)abtaylor Wrote: Ok, I don't know if this is just me but am I the only one who absolutely enjoys arguing/debating w/ christians? I just love it when they get pissed at the fact that i'm an atheist and the way they react is just really funny to me! xD

So ya if anyone else intentionally makes it a point for christians to know that they are atheist so they'll get mad, let me know lol

It can be fun but it gets old rather fast when they repeat the same old nonsense.

Seeing them throw their toys out of the 'pram is fun, too, though.

Over here in Kiwiland being an atheist isn't a big deal, but I've encountered some interesting reactions from people in the US, when I've been there, to my statements that I'm an atheist.
Dying to live, living to die.
It can be nice bouncing ideas off people that don't agree with practically everything you say, but there are some people that seem to have such a different idea of things that it's really hard to have a conversation. Like a recent conversation I had with Fr0d0, where he said you can reach a better understanding of god if you start with an assumption. I also remember one way back with God'schild about justice, but I don't remember where it was.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 6, 2014 at 5:24 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(May 6, 2014 at 5:20 pm)abtaylor Wrote: Ok, I don't know if this is just me but am I the only one who absolutely enjoys arguing/debating w/ christians? I just love it when they get pissed at the fact that i'm an atheist and the way they react is just really funny to me! xD

It can be fun but it gets old rather fast when they repeat the same old nonsense.

Over here in Kiwiland being an atheist isn't a big deal, but I've encountered some interesting reactions from people in the US, when I've been there, to my statements that I'm an atheist.

Yeah, i'm in the US, and a rather Christian community at that. Everyone around me is like a hardcore, gun-shootin', beer-drinkin' patriot, so most of them try to debate me with random bullshit like "The bible is evidence of God". No, the Bible is evidence that people wrote the bible xD

(May 6, 2014 at 5:24 pm)Beccs Wrote:

Yeah, but sometimes I do it to also just kind of...Practice? I dont know if you get that or not but whatever Tongue
(May 6, 2014 at 5:28 pm)abtaylor Wrote:
(May 6, 2014 at 5:24 pm)Beccs Wrote: It can be fun but it gets old rather fast when they repeat the same old nonsense.

Yeah, i'm in the US, and a rather Christian community at that. Everyone around me is like a hardcore, gun-shootin', beer-drinkin' patriot, so most of them try to debate me with random bullshit like "The bible is evidence of God". No, the Bible is evidence that people wrote the bible xD

(May 6, 2014 at 5:24 pm)Beccs Wrote: It can be fun but it gets old rather fast when they repeat the same old nonsense.

Yeah, but sometimes I do it to also just kind of...Practice? I dont know if you get that or not but whatever Tongue

Good reply. That's exactly what I say to them when they try the whole, "bible is evidence" nonsense.

In March last year I was in New York for a course, along with others, mostly from the States.

After orientation we were kinda deciding what we should do when one from the South said, "We're going to find a church. Want to come along?"

I got *looks* when I said no, I'm an atheist. To their credit they didn't give me grief over it.
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 6, 2014 at 5:40 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(May 6, 2014 at 5:28 pm)abtaylor Wrote: Yeah, i'm in the US, and a rather Christian community at that. Everyone around me is like a hardcore, gun-shootin', beer-drinkin' patriot, so most of them try to debate me with random bullshit like "The bible is evidence of God". No, the Bible is evidence that people wrote the bible xD

Good reply. That's exactly what I say to them when they try the whole, "bible is evidence" nonsense.

In March last year I was in New York for a course, along with others, mostly from the States.

After orientation we were kinda deciding what we should do when one from the South said, "We're going to find a church. Want to come along?"

I got *looks* when I said no, I'm an atheist. To their credit they didn't give me grief over it.

Im surprised they didn't give you grief. Much more self control than the people I live around!
I hate religious debates. Sure I will debate creationism but not religion. I always say leave the stupid alone, they will kill each other without you.
[Image: guilmon_evolution_by_davidgtm3-d4gb5rp.gif]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Quote:Yeah, i'm in the US, and a rather Christian community at that. Everyone around me is like a hardcore, gun-shootin', beer-drinkin' patriot, so most of them try to debate me with random bullshit like "The bible is evidence of God". No, the Bible is evidence that people wrote the bible xD

I would just tell them the bible is the claim. Not evidence. It doesn't even prove Egypt exists, much less Jesus.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 6, 2014 at 5:20 pm)abtaylor Wrote: Ok, I don't know if this is just me but am I the only one who absolutely enjoys arguing/debating w/ christians?
I prefer discussion to argument or even debate. To argue usually entails talking past one another, and that gets boring or frustrating pretty quick. Debate is usually too formal for my tastes and some people take it as a way to talk about the rules of debate instead of focusing on the topic. You can join a discussion in progress and you can leave it when it gets boring or dumb without worrying that you are "losing the argument" or "abandoning the debate."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I remember a long discussion I had with some Xtians on another forum about prayer studies. They thought that anecdotal evidence of prayer working was enough to prove God existed. I did not.

Me "hypothetically, if we know a God exists and you prayed to him and your injury got better, how do you determine if the cause was God".
Xtian "you can't".
Me "so somehow in the hypothetical situation with God existing, you are less able to know that God performed the healing, than in the current scenario where we don't know whether God exists or not"
Xtian, completely missing the point "But we prayed, then my injury got better".

Utterly fucking pointless. Back then I put a lot of effort into trying to tie them down into making some sort of logical or factual statement that we could both understand. Given they could never manage this, it became a waste of time fairly quickly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7052 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Debating a Christian Normal Guy 21 3447 December 15, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Psychology behind debating? Or is it just fun to stir the pot once in a while? cosmowanderer 21 5854 September 21, 2015 at 7:51 am
Last Post: Shining_Finger
  What pissed you off the most when debating against theism? strawberryBacteria 26 6757 September 20, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  AronRa debating with theists at the Reason Rally 2012 Ziploc Surprise 1 1856 April 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: mediamogul
  Debating religion why being unisulting Gooders1002 28 9809 March 31, 2012 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bizarro Debating Grundy 4 2057 March 27, 2012 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Interested in debating theists via skype (3 debates added!) yuriythebest 31 7811 October 8, 2010 at 3:08 am
Last Post: solja247