Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debating a Christian
Debating a Christian
Debating a Christian

DISCLAIMER - You are about to read over 12 thousand words, do not blame me for the girlfriend you will lose.

Hi, I'm new to this and so I'm not sure if there is already a thread for this, but whatever. I just want to share this experience with like minded individuals. For privacy reasons, none of our details will be included.

Basically, i had an argument with this random guy over email that i met in the comment section of a YouTube video.

Please excuse any spelling or grammar errors i may have made, i was hyper with adrenaline when typing as I'm passionate about the topic. Warning also, i may have been a bit too direct or patronising towards this guy, but as you will see, it was justified. Spoiler - The guy is insane. This story is also very long, sorry about that.

Backstory: Ive always admired the works of Hitchens and Harris, and most recently NonStampCollector. Ive always sort of questioned the minds of religious people, because i have a great passion for sociology and philosophy. But it has always stopped there. Until now. I have recently discovered the Christians you only hear about in atheist folklore. They fear the word “science” and are ignorant of its beautiful works - specifically the works that debunk the Bible (which is most of science). They use the “evolution is just a theory” argument without realising that gravity and atoms are also scientific theories. They only reject what challenges their beliefs. This is the definition of ignorance. A word I now find myself saying far too often.

So here we go:

After exchanging emails on YouTube, he sent me this:

What are your thoughts? Who won? Did anyone else have an experience similar to this?

Heres the document I forgot to include:

RE: Debating a Christian
Uh..hi. Might want to toss a thread up in the intro section to say hello.

As for the 12,000 word dump, I don't really have the time or motivation to read every one, but skimming through your bolded sections... I'm really not a fan of atheists posting things like "look how I destroyed this christian" or "my statement was pretty savage" or "this was my final blow." Just kind of plays into the edgy arrogant asshole atheist stereotype that makes it easier for folks to dismiss us.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(December 9, 2016 at 9:35 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Uh..hi.  Might want to toss a thread up in the intro section to say hello.

As for the 12,000 word dump, I don't really have the time or motivation to read every one, but skimming through your bolded sections... I'm really not a fan of atheists posting things like "look how I destroyed this christian" or "my statement was pretty savage" or "this was my final blow."  Just kind of plays into the edgy arrogant asshole atheist stereotype that makes it easier for folks to dismiss us.

Thats fair enough, I did admit that I was too arrogant and at the end I said that I now regret what I wrote, but thats cool. Thanks for giving it a skim at least lol.
Welcome.

Not normal.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Dude... don't do that.
Too much text to go through at once... no one will read it all... (maybe someone will, but meh...)

Also, "a Christian" is too generic a terminology. Can you be a bit more specific?
I've debated a creationist here on this forum and our posts did end up being huge.
In the end, no matter how much I explained things, he remained a creationist... it was the first time time I heard a bunch of their "arguments".

(December 9, 2016 at 9:32 am)Normal Guy Wrote: Basically, i had an argument with this random guy over email that i met in the comment section of a YouTube video.
Oh.... youtube... silly you. Tongue

As for the rest... meh, didn't read it all. Like FaF, I just skimmed through the bolded bits.

You can't expect to change anyone's mind concerning their beliefs.

[Image: original.jpg]
In conclusion it was hofflenosh.
Neither side will have shifted position at all as a result of the exchange and thus was ultimately a waste of time and effort which you aren`t going to get back. Occasionally I will indulge in such exchanges though usually as a form of stress relief after being subject to an attempt to convert me or members of my family.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(December 9, 2016 at 9:52 am)pocaracas Wrote: Oh.... youtube... silly you. Tongue
ikr, im ashamed
(December 9, 2016 at 9:57 am)Normal Guy Wrote:
(December 9, 2016 at 9:52 am)pocaracas Wrote: Oh.... youtube... silly you. Tongue
ikr, im ashamed

As you should be! Cool
tl;dr
Welcome.

I read a little bit of it, and it seemed to be standard Christian nonsense. If you were looking to escape that kind of thing, you came to the wrong place, lol. We're kind of a magnet for that tripe.

Yeah, stay away from YouTube comment sections. They're the asshole of the debate world.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7049 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Psychology behind debating? Or is it just fun to stir the pot once in a while? cosmowanderer 21 5854 September 21, 2015 at 7:51 am
Last Post: Shining_Finger
  What pissed you off the most when debating against theism? strawberryBacteria 26 6757 September 20, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Debating Christians abtaylor 11 2003 May 7, 2014 at 8:50 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  AronRa debating with theists at the Reason Rally 2012 Ziploc Surprise 1 1856 April 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: mediamogul
  Debating religion why being unisulting Gooders1002 28 9808 March 31, 2012 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bizarro Debating Grundy 4 2057 March 27, 2012 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Interested in debating theists via skype (3 debates added!) yuriythebest 31 7811 October 8, 2010 at 3:08 am
Last Post: solja247