Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Representation: Stand proud!
Representation: Stand proud!
So I have been wondering, where does everyone hail from?

Post your origins? Are you proud of it?

Me: Gera - Germany

Yes I am proud of it.
RE: Representation: Stand proud!
I'm proud of the things I accomplish. Being proud of things over which you have no control - such as your place of origin - is just silly. Rather like being proud of having blue eyes or an extra toe.

So, WHY are you proud of having been whelped in Germany?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Cairo-Egypt , not fuckin' proud to live with monkeys .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(May 19, 2014 at 7:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I'm proud of the things I accomplish. Being proud of things over which you have no control - such as your place of origin - is just silly. Rather like being proud of having blue eyes or an extra toe.

Boru

I love my culture, I love the people, I love the words, I love my family history (carpenters).

I love the buildings, the smell, the feel. I enjoy the atmosphere

I love being able to speak the language that not many people speak where I am now
(May 19, 2014 at 7:03 pm)BlackSwordsman Wrote:
(May 19, 2014 at 7:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I'm proud of the things I accomplish. Being proud of things over which you have no control - such as your place of origin - is just silly. Rather like being proud of having blue eyes or an extra toe.

Boru

I love my culture, I love the people, I love the words, I love my family history (carpenters).

I love being able to speak the language that not many people speak where I am now

Ok, so you love where you're from. Nowt wrong with that, it's a common enough emotion.

But why are you PROUD of being from there? Did you build the city? Did you establish a school for underprivileged kids? Someone could have an equal love for Germany without ever having been there - they could love the buildings, the culture, learn the language, etc. Granted, they might not have your personal family history, but people who boast of the accomplishments of their ancestors are rather like the little lizard who tells you that his g'g'g'g'g'g'g'grandfather was a Tyrannosaur.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 19, 2014 at 7:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 19, 2014 at 7:03 pm)BlackSwordsman Wrote: I love my culture, I love the people, I love the words, I love my family history (carpenters).

Ok, so you love where you're from. Nowt wrong with that, it's a common enough emotion.

But why are you PROUD of being from there? Did you build the city? Did you establish a school for underprivileged kids?

Boru

Actually, my father provided a valuable service and worked on equipment that was invaluable to the space program. Though my family hails from carpenters my father was very good at engineering. So no schools but in terms of equipment yes.

I am proud of my heritage Smile
Quote:I am proud of my heritage

Yes, I get that, but WHY are you proud? You heritage has bugger all to do with YOU. You weren't the engineer who helped the space programme, your dad was. Wonderful to hear, but I'm still not sure how you can take pride in something you had no hand in.

Boru
(May 19, 2014 at 7:15 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:I am proud of my heritage

Yes, I get that, but WHY are you proud? You heritage has bugger all to do with YOU. You weren't the engineer who helped the space programme, your dad was. Wonderful to hear, but I'm still not sure how you can take pride in something you had no hand in.

Boru

ROFLOL because, I am. My father taught me much, and got me into the same program before he passed away Wink so I can carry on the legacy in a small way.
Quote:because, I am. My father taught me much, and got me into the same program before he passed away Wink so I can carry on the legacy in a small way.

You don't feel a little uncomfortable living vicariously through your dad's accomplishments? Don't you have anything in and of yourself to take pride in?

Boru
(May 19, 2014 at 7:22 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:because, I am. My father taught me much, and got me into the same program before he passed away Wink so I can carry on the legacy in a small way.

You don't feel a little uncomfortable living vicariously through your dad's accomplishments? Don't you have anything in and of yourself to take pride in?

Boru

Not at all. German Craftsmanship is a legacy in its own. Once I started in with my own projects they became my own, completely unlinked to my father. Though some still remember his work. I am not him, he opened the door to allow me to create my own legacy and create my own accomplishments Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where do you stand on breastfeeding in public? Cod 74 7616 September 4, 2018 at 12:18 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Most otherwise popular food/snack/dessert/beverage you cannot stand ? vorlon13 65 10307 April 16, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Where things stand (baby news update from the geneticist) Catholic_Lady 17 2945 December 10, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Where do you stand on make up? Whateverist 22 3729 September 20, 2015 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Where do you stand on make up? Whateverist 77 7681 September 18, 2015 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Kay is a proud auntie! Kayenneh 6 2007 April 23, 2013 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Hunter's Stand KichigaiNeko 3 957 October 17, 2012 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist