Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 5, 2024, 10:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist vs. Christian Personalities
Atheist vs. Christian Personalities
There is something that has been bothering me lately. The other day I had a drink with a friend of mine who is what I would call very christian. She doesn't talk about it much, but she is. You notice it in the way she acts and speaks, sometimes.
It struck me that she is a very nice person to be around. If I could select a personality to have, her's would clearly be nominated. In fact most christians I know are somewhat similar to her.
Now contrast her with the people I know who identify as atheists or 'anti-theists' as some would call them. (I would prefer the term 'anti-religious')
Quirky, narcissistic, poor listener, beligerent about everything, odd (in a bad way) false/poor self image, constantly pessimistic, rude, inconsiderate, selfish or just simply crazy...
Most of them are some or all of the above. I have my reasons for liking them and having them as friends, but I can't deny the negative feelings I get sometimes.
I'm not talking about people who don't give a damned about religion one way or another... I mean people who really care about the issue.
Now I'm not saying that all the christians I know are nice people. One is in fact a huge asshole who I dislike intensely.
Is there a trend here, or am I imagining things?

RE: Atheist vs. Christian Personalities
I don't think there's a trend, but then I don't think you're imagining things either.

People can be nice or nasty, irrespective of what they believe about religion.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I know only one (out of closet) atheist in real life and she's very good friend of mine. Her personality is amazing, she's always in a good mood and loves to laugh. She's like a little kid in a candy store sometimes, kinda naive, but everyone loves to be around her.
So in my experience 100% atheists are awesome Big Grin But again i know only one irl Sad
(May 25, 2014 at 6:10 am)sven Wrote: There is something that has been bothering me lately. The other day I had a drink with a friend of mine who is what I would call very christian. She doesn't talk about it much, but she is. You notice it in the way she acts and speaks, sometimes.
It struck me that she is a very nice person to be around. If I could select a personality to have, her's would clearly be nominated. In fact most christians I know are somewhat similar to her.
Now contrast her with the people I know who identify as atheists or 'anti-theists' as some would call them. (I would prefer the term 'anti-religious')
Quirky, narcissistic, poor listener, beligerent about everything, odd (in a bad way) false/poor self image, constantly pessimistic, rude, inconsiderate, selfish or just simply crazy...
Most of them are some or all of the above. I have my reasons for liking them and having them as friends, but I can't deny the negative feelings I get sometimes.
I'm not talking about people who don't give a damned about religion one way or another... I mean people who really care about the issue.
Now I'm not saying that all the christians I know are nice people. One is in fact a huge asshole who I dislike intensely.

you hit the nail on the head ... good show!

it has little to do with belief. An asshole is an asshole. A nice person is a nice person.

I bring it down to a simple notion, because I am a simple person. Do you want to help others through this life or kick the shit out of them every chance you get.

It is nice to see you brought this up ... good job sven. Smile
(May 25, 2014 at 6:10 am)sven Wrote: Now contrast her with the people I know who identify as atheists or 'anti-theists' as some would call them. (I would prefer the term 'anti-religious')

I get the impression that most are overall angry when having to deal with an abundance of theists. I don't know a ton of atheists outside of the internet, but there is a lot of anger that can come out rude, belligerent and all sorts of negative. That's not to say they are any different then people on the other side, because I've seen plenty of so-called Christians be three times as rude or crazy. I read a blog a few weeks ago by Greta Christina concerning atheists and anger, and it made a lot of sense. I'll drop a link, but I warn you that it may piss you off if you read it...

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_...nd-an.html
It really depends on the individual atheist. I've come across a few who regarded me with suspicion because my brain produces odd, subjective experiences. I got the impression that they didn't regard me as a 'true' atheist because of it. There were others who tried to turn atheism into an ideology - they kept telling other atheists what they should and should not do such as not celebrating Christmas. (I was very amused when Richard Dawkins said he regards himself as a cultural Christian.) Then there's the 7's who didn't think Richard Dawkins was atheist enough because he's only a 6.9 and they branded Sam Harris as a heretic because he meditates.

Needless to say, they weren't very polite to the theists.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
Now I'm trying to decide which trait I appreciate more in people .. niceness or authenticity. I have a religious aunt who is relentlessly nice in a way I find difficult to be around. Still, she really does help the people in her life as best she can. There is just something vapid about being duty bound to do the nice thing.
(May 25, 2014 at 6:10 am)sven Wrote: There is something that has been bothering me lately. The other day I had a drink with a friend of mine who is what I would call very christian. She doesn't talk about it much, but she is. You notice it in the way she acts and speaks, sometimes.

In my opinion personality and non/religiosity do not necessitate upon one another, though I will grant that attitude can change based off of the level of immersion and dominant culture one experiences in their neck of the woods (i.e. a theist in a largely atheistic population or vice versa).
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.

Yes they have Religion.exe running in their brain. Goes something like this:
- Be super nice.
- Spread the love.
- Invite them to Church.
- Check their response.
- If yes: Hallelujah, If no: Repeat

That is, if you already mentioned you were an Atheist.

On the other hand, I have only recently announced being an Atheist & I have heard enough "S H I T" from religious people (including some of my closest friends) to become a bit closer to your description of Atheists/anti-theists.
There are lots of atheist assholes. There are lots of theist assholes. I see more atheist assholes online because I talk to atheists more, and the theists I talk to (in the context of the religion debate) are ones I've seen aren't assholes, so it doesn't surprise me that I see more atheist and anti-theist assholes.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4944 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Christian Post rejoices that atheist Lawrence Krauss is guilty of sexual misconduct Alexmahone 11 2187 August 12, 2018 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  A Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, and an atheist walk into a coffee shop... Mudhammam 57 12309 November 3, 2016 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1798 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheist DESTROYS Christian bussta33 6 2253 February 2, 2016 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Is it selfish of me to marry a Christian instead of atheist? superAtheistnut 23 5915 April 20, 2015 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How do you feel about atheist youtube personalities? MusicLovingAtheist 26 10780 December 11, 2014 at 9:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I am better off being a christian than an atheist ZeldaAdmirer 13 4438 November 17, 2014 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  The Christian view of life being superior to the Atheist one Dolorian 16 3411 October 26, 2014 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Anyone else an atheist while going to a Christian school? KentuckySkeptic224 7 3084 October 16, 2014 at 7:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger