Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If people will ask you why do you hate religion,...
Exclamation 
If people will ask you why do you hate religion,...
Here you have more than enough reasons why.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

-Douglas Adams
RE: If people will ask you why do you hate religion,...
Now, now,

One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch girl!
Oftentimes when bringing up the many atrocities committed in the name of religion, many are quick to say "Well, there are plenty of crimes committed without religion, too", or "Bad people were going to commit those crimes anyway, they didn't need religion, it's just their excuse". How much of that is true, though? If there were no religion, would crime rates go down? Would there be more tolerance? I do wonder if religious indoctrination ceased suddenly, would the world be a slightly better place? Or would it remain the same, something just as bad filling the vacuum? I tend to lean towards the idea that the world would be at least somewhat better off without religion, but I'm biased. Smile
[Image: ferns500x125_zps9511e564.jpg]
That's fucking depressing. What's up with all the hatred towards Atheists? Shouldn't they be more upset at someone that has a competing god?
(May 27, 2014 at 5:09 pm)KUSA Wrote: That's fucking depressing. What's up with all the hatred towards Atheists? Shouldn't they be more upset at someone that has a competing god?

A lot of religious people think other religious people are just temporarily confused about who they should be worshipping. "Well, they know there's a god, which is great, but how sad that they've been duped by that other cult!" And that's how you get Missionaries.

When it comes to atheists, however, we're just viewed as weirdos. It's too difficult for many of them to grasp a total lack of belief, so there must be something broken in our heads. And that scares and/or angers them. Undecided
[Image: ferns500x125_zps9511e564.jpg]
And to think that's the very recent past.

Imagine if you did a compilation like that of the past 2k years...*shudder*

Thanks for the post, OP. I'm sure to be using this thread as a reference in the future.

Also, considering taking the "kind of" out of my avatar now.
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
(May 27, 2014 at 4:55 pm)Bittersmart Wrote: Oftentimes when bringing up the many atrocities committed in the name of religion, many are quick to say "Well, there are plenty of crimes committed without religion, too", or "Bad people were going to commit those crimes anyway, they didn't need religion, it's just their excuse". How much of that is true, though? If there were no religion, would crime rates go down? Would there be more tolerance? I do wonder if religious indoctrination ceased suddenly, would the world be a slightly better place? Or would it remain the same, something just as bad filling the vacuum? I tend to lean towards the idea that the world would be at least somewhat better off without religion, but I'm biased. Smile

Here's a thought on that subject:

Two ways that humans can easily rationalize bad behavior is either by "mob mentality" or by blindly following an authority, both of which involve diffusing responsibility. Religion doesn't have a monopoly on these things. One can be a political or nationalistic fanatic or a mafia capo and still commit terrible crimes. However, this kind of submission to the group or to a leader is nearly inherent in religion where "faith" (believing what you're told without question) is a key component.

Often, Christians will indignantly fire back with "oh yeah, well the atheists under Stalin were bad too". While it's true the Soviet regime was one that rejected conventional religion (and I say "conventional religion" because it's debatable whether a "cult of personality" might just be an alternative religion), the atrocities they committed were not so much because of a lack of a belief in a god as much as their political and economic fanaticism. Yes, people can do bad things in fanatical devotion to non-religious or worldly causes but religion is uniquely dangerous because of two factors:

1. "My imaginary friend tells me what's right and wrong"
The authority figure is not a worldly dictator who can at least clarify dogma, react to events and possibly restrain his/her zealots. Failing to do so, this dictator can be held responsible in a world court in the event of his/her fall.

No clarification comes from on high. What a god wants is communicated through interpretations of scripture, as filtered through the mind of the believer or a religious leader. And anyone who's debated scripture with a Christian knows full well how easily the believer can cherry pick, read through a lens of confirmation bias, come up with ludicrously obtuse interpretations, make liberal use of the ad hoc hypothesis to fill in what they want and, when all else fails, "la la la la la, I'm not listening".

Scripture says whatever you want it to say. The believers always follow a god who wants what they want. The Christian can tell me what he/she thinks of Jesus and that tells me much about what that Christian is like or aspires to be like. Consider how Michael Moore and Pat Robertson, to pick just two examples, both worship the same god and read the same scripture.

Personally, I'm more afraid of the man who hears voices in his head than I am of someone who blindly follows the orders of another. At least with the latter, there are at least limitations to what the fanatic can justify. Anything can be justified when it is the will of your imaginary friend.

2. "You'll see I'm right when we're all dead"
Eventually, communism fell when people noticed it wasn't delivering the goods. Other political, nationalistic or economic ideologies taken to a fanatical extreme will also collapse when reality sets in. Religion is immune to reality. It proposes invisible forces that lie beyond our ability to detect and promises a reward after we're dead and nobody can report how it's all bunk.

Worse, some religions, Christianity in particular, celebrate the end of the world and seem to look forward to the collapse of everything. The dangers of a self-fulfilling prophecy are very real.

So yes, human cruelty will always be with us. People will seek to justify their cruelty by appealing to everyone-else-was-doing-it or the-great-leader-said-to-do-it. Religion just presents this danger on steroids.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(May 27, 2014 at 5:09 pm)KUSA Wrote: That's fucking depressing. What's up with all the hatred towards Atheists? Shouldn't they be more upset at someone that has a competing god?

No, for two reasons:

1) Other religions might be seen as "wrong", but many Christians can respect the faith that others have. Especially the ones honest enough to admit they can't prove their god exists.

2) Atheists scare the shit out of Christians, both for representing a possible life without their super-important god, and also for asking the hard questions. Take a look at what Christians say about their god when they're in a group versus what they say to skeptics. They hate that they have to come up with contrived free will arguments and debate the true purpose of prayer. Muslims don't ask those tough questions because the same tough questions apply to their faith as well.
Mmmmm and all our theist members in our forum who always defend god and tell us we should get religion if they see this thread by tomorrow morning they are gonna forget all of this and they will still defend their belief system.

That's convenient isn't it?
(May 27, 2014 at 1:16 pm)MountainsWinAgain Wrote: Here you have more than enough reasons why.

the problem is it is all bullshit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 136 5618 February 12, 2024 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4968 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1949 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1464 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why do you hate God? johndoe122931 100 7306 June 3, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Statistics, the perfect weapon to justify hate? Ferrocyanide 12 1561 December 21, 2020 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Honestly, I hate the thought of god, zeus and jesus Apex1050 22 2629 July 10, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Why do people believe that Beowulf is fiction? I_am_not_mafia 59 13211 June 6, 2018 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2773 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan