Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Just Say...
Let's Just Say...
Let's Just Say that there is a God and He is the one described in the Bible. As much as you disagree or believe in the contrary, humor me and let's say that this is the case. If that be so and there is a hope for eternal life by placing your faith in Christ, would you accept that and receive Him? Or, would you defiantly reject this offer?
RE: Let's Just Say...
(June 10, 2014 at 11:55 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Let's Just Say that there is a God and He is the one described in the Bible. As much as you disagree or believe in the contrary, humor me and let's say that this is the case. If that be so and there is a hope for eternal life by placing your faith in Christ, would you accept that and receive Him? Or, would you defiantly reject this offer?

I would have to believe.

I wouldn't worship the monster of the Old Testament.
Dying to live, living to die.
This particular hypothetical annoys me. What do you get out of an answer to this question, Rev? Why ask?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Rev, do you assume in this scenario that we somehow know, apart from the Bible, that Yahweh exists and is adequately described by the Bible? If so, how is it that we come by this knowledge? If not, aren't we really back at square one with the usual Biblical circular reasoning and faith based on flimsy (I'm being polite here) evidence?
(June 11, 2014 at 12:13 am)Crossless1 Wrote: Rev, do you assume in this scenario that we somehow know, apart from the Bible, that Yahweh exists and is adequately described by the Bible? If so, how is it that we come by this knowledge? If not, aren't we really back at square one with the usual Biblical circular reasoning and faith based on flimsy (I'm being polite here) evidence?

Regardless of how or what you would need for this to be your reality, perhaps an actual encounter with Yahweh may do it, what would you do with that?
(June 11, 2014 at 12:31 am)Revelation777 Wrote:
(June 11, 2014 at 12:13 am)Crossless1 Wrote: Rev, do you assume in this scenario that we somehow know, apart from the Bible, that Yahweh exists and is adequately described by the Bible? If so, how is it that we come by this knowledge? If not, aren't we really back at square one with the usual Biblical circular reasoning and faith based on flimsy (I'm being polite here) evidence?

Regardless of how or what you would need for this to be your reality, perhaps an actual encounter with Yahweh may do it, what would you do with that?

1. Believe in Yahweh's existence.
2. Ask how it is that an all-knowing, supposedly loving being could come up with such a hare-brained and barbarous scheme for salvation.
3. Ask if it's really true that people are destined for damnation if they don't follow the Christian playbook, and if it's true . . .
4. Stand in defiant solidarity with my fellow humans who are destined to be condemned and eternally tortured because of the hare-brained and barbarous scheme imposed by the almighty (but strangely insecure) tyrant.
(June 10, 2014 at 11:55 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Let's Just Say that there is a God and He is the one described in the Bible. As much as you disagree or believe in the contrary, humor me and let's say that this is the case. If that be so and there is a hope for eternal life by placing your faith in Christ, would you accept that and receive Him? Or, would you defiantly reject this offer?

The 'one' described in the Bible ???

According to the Lutherans ? Eastern Orthodox ? Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints ? United Brethren ? Nazarene ? Gibsonites ? Church of Glad Tidings ? Church of God in Christ ? African Episcopal ? Church of Scotland ? Church of the Lamb ? Hutterites ? Mennonites ? Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints ? Coptic Christians ? Southern Baptist ? Anabaptist ? Church of Christ ? Methodist ? Church of the Blessed ? Jehovah's Witness ?

Guess wrong and burn. For all of ETERNITY.

I assume the church you attend is coincidentally The One True Church.
Quote:humor me and let's say that this is the case.

No.
(June 10, 2014 at 11:55 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Let's Just Say that there is a God
No. Why should I?

(June 10, 2014 at 11:55 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: and He is the one described in the Bible.
Why should I concede this point, even if I'm willing to concede the first (which I'm not)?

(June 10, 2014 at 11:55 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: As much as you disagree or believe in the contrary, humor me and let's say that this is the case.
Again, no. Unless you can demonstrate a reason why I should

(June 10, 2014 at 11:55 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: If that be so and there is a hope for eternal life by placing your faith in Christ
Now you've introduce a new character. Do I have to abandon all credulity and accept this one as real too? No. For the same reasons.

(June 10, 2014 at 11:55 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: would you accept that and receive Him?
No. Not even if you could prove the sick, sadistic fuck described in the OT or it's bastard kid were real. They are not worthy of anything other than revulsion and loathing.

(June 10, 2014 at 11:55 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Or, would you defiantly reject this offer?
There is no offer being made. It's a threat. An ultimatum. "Serve/Love me or suffer for eternity. Fuck that and fuck anybody who thinks a monster that would make that ultimatum is a "just and loving" anything.

(June 11, 2014 at 12:31 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Regardless of how or what you would need for this to be your reality, perhaps an actual encounter with Yahweh may do it, what would you do with that?

Spit in it's all-mighty eye. If that old-testament beast is real, I'm fucked anyway. Might as well.

Of course, there is NO evidence that your all-mighty terrorist, monster god exists.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Hard to say. A God who lets children suffer and die is kind of a prick. So's a God who floods out almost the entire human species, women and children included, because he has poopy pants about the way they're using the freedom he gave them. I might have to choose the eternal damnation or oblivion as the more honorable choice. After all, bribes only go so far in pulling a person away from a proper moral system.

Also, since I don't like harp music and do like rock music, I'm not sure that Heaven would have the kind of entertainment value I'd need to sustain myself for ever and ever without end.

I have, however, met some pretty hot Christian girls, so Heaven isn't without its attraction. And if God is like Crazy Larry at Crazy Larry's Shoe Emporium, I might be able to bring in my Muslim 72 virgins coupon, no questions asked, and make a decent eternity of it. Hrrrmmmm hard to choose.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1080 75510 Yesterday at 7:01 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17009 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What will you say to God when you stand before him? The Valkyrie 78 8793 March 5, 2021 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Lightbearer
  Let's be biblically literary Foxaèr 53 4758 September 24, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Stoneheart
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4041 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  Let's say we evolved from Lions Mystic 27 4233 May 29, 2018 at 10:21 am
Last Post: brewer
  Let's edit the NT. Gawdzilla Sama 27 3112 January 26, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Lets say that tomorow it will be proven that God doesn't exist , religion will fade , notimportant1234 54 11164 October 28, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
Question Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it? theBorg 52 8971 October 3, 2016 at 9:02 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Christians - even the Bible says that Jesus was not God so why do you say he was ? jenny1972 299 43249 November 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: jenny1972