Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disproof Atheism Society
Disproof Atheism Society
I went to an atheist discussion meeting last night. The topic was on logical arguments for the nonexistence of God and it was led by a guy from the "Disproof Atheism Society". http://disproofatheism.org/index.html The society exists to encourage development of and discussion on arguments for the nonexistence of God.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Disproof Atheism Society
Unnecessary and masturbatory, but interesting all the same.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
So are you not gonna tell us whether it was good or not?
(June 18, 2014 at 5:51 pm)Napoléon Wrote: So are you not gonna tell us whether it was good or not?

I thought it was good. There were about 15 of us huddled in this little room. The meeting lasted for three hours.

They had these signs up around the room that said "Atheist Safe Zone" and instructed not to take photos and videos which I didn't expect but it was a nice touch I guess.

The guy from the society is very much opposed to the common notion that "you can't disprove the existence of God".
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Isn't that a bit like justifying reasons for the non existence of:

Bigfoot
Flying saucers
Compassionate politicians
Pots of gold at the ends of the rainbow
Etc.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 18, 2014 at 6:14 pm)Tea Earl Grey Hot Wrote: The guy from the society is very much opposed to the common notion that "you can't disprove the existence of God".

I guess it does depend on what definition of god you're using. I am of the mind that the christian god, and other gods that have been thought to 'dabble in human affairs' could be debunked.
How exactly was god defined?

While proving that god cannot exist might be an interesting intellectual exercise, it's going to fall into the category of pure reason. Essentially, you'll just be trying to picture what it would have been like if Aristotle had been an atheist.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 18, 2014 at 6:18 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Isn't that a bit like justifying reasons for the non existence of:

Bigfoot
Flying saucers
Compassionate politicians
Pots of gold at the ends of the rainbow
Etc.

Yes and if billions of people shape their time and efforts around Big Foot memes, we oughta make known the justifications for discrediting them too.
Did Bigfoot ever tell you that you were a "sinner?"
(June 18, 2014 at 8:07 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Did Bigfoot ever tell you that you were a "sinner?"

C'mon Min, now that's just too silly for anyone to believe. Jewish magic man with immaculate blood to offer the Great Loving Father©? Now that's more like it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 6765 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  History of abolishing God from the society Fake Messiah 42 2537 February 26, 2022 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4473 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Announced disproof of Reality strengthens the atheism cosmology 11 2353 December 31, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27124 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38808 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  Religion is Harmful to Society z7z 24 4681 May 23, 2015 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: comet
  Which type of Political Atheism is most influential in human society currently? CristW 19 4826 February 20, 2015 at 9:51 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12478 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12152 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite