Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion is Harmful to Society
Religion is Harmful to Society
I can think of a few good things religion does but several more things that are harmful to people/society (particularly young people):

Good things:
Controls the masses (fear of God/sinning), gives terminally ill/elderly (false) hope, many volunteer/help the homeless/poor, there is some wisdom in some of the religious texts, but mostly BS

Bad things:
Radicalism, terrorism, gang like, brainwashes young people, false hope of afterlife, puts fear in people, religious institutions are tax-free businesses, people waste their time at religious institutions/reading about religion, religion makes us superior to animals and pits religions against each other (tribe like)

Please help me add to my list either good things or bad things about religion. Thank you.
RE: Religion is Harmful to Society
Anything taken to extreme is harmful to society. Usually when people argue for religion, they mention things that liberal to moderate theists would do, and few would object to, but then you get the extremists who will kill or ostracize you for being different. Few things will cause good people to do evil things like religion does, unfortunately.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Not a big fan of religion but there are plenty of pastimes that don't appeal to me. Harmful to society? That would depend on what you want in a society and what you think they do to fuck it up. But society is consensual. Not up to me personally or anyone else. But go ahead and make your case.

What kind of society do you want? Who agrees with you? How is religion harmful to it?
(May 11, 2015 at 7:40 pm)whateverist Wrote: What kind of society do you want? Who agrees with you? How is religion harmful to it?

One that isn't gullible, believing in creation, heaven, hell, the devil, angels, virgins in heaven for martyrdom, etc. Religion dumbs down society and holds back progress. Ancient belief systems weren't meant for modern times.
It gives people a required moral compass (which can include as much evil as desired), it influences our politicians and teachers, it teaches "intelligent" design and contradicts scientific discoveries, it ruins relationships with family and friends, it makes people feel guilty for no reason, and it tricks people out of their money.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
Just a quick question...
Re:  the Ancient Greeks with Zeus, etc.
Whas there any divine writings associated with these gods?
Did people kill in the name  of said gods?

That's why Zeus is extinct. Man could not profit from it.
Profiting gives us a better chance of survival.
So basically, religion is a neccesary byproduct of evolution?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 11, 2015 at 6:21 pm)mbk734 Wrote: Good things:
Controls the masses (fear of God/sinning), gives terminally ill/elderly (false) hope, many volunteer/help the homeless/poor, there is some wisdom in some of the religious texts, but mostly BS

None of those "good things" are really good things.  They are things done for bad reasons.  It matters why people do things, you can't just rationalize away things done for irrational reasons.

My SIG stands for a reason.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
(May 11, 2015 at 10:08 pm)Cephus Wrote:
(May 11, 2015 at 6:21 pm)mbk734 Wrote: Good things:

None of those "good things" are really good things.  They are things done for bad reasons.  It matters why people do things, you can't just rationalize away things done for irrational reasons.

My SIG stands for a reason.

I disagree simply because I'm concerned merely about results - If they're achieved trough religion or not that's ok.

The idea in the OP is also somewhat simplistic - Most religious people are not thinking about god when they help the homeless guy, they are thinking that this person needs help.

I have learned the hardway that even our deeply held truths should be questioned - Nothing is completely evil or good

Good things? For starters many countries only exist (and thus you and other people exist just as you are) because of the majority's religion spread (or alternatively it's one of the causes). Atheist philosopher Alain de Botton argues that atheists should steal the good side of religion while remaining skeptical of supernatural claims - Among the good aspects he mentions he talks about (1) The sense of community it provides that allows people to meet friends, husbands, wives and have fun while working for a common cause (2) Gives people comfort by knowing that there's someone always watching over you, and like it or not some people need that comfort (3) It is a part of their culture just like the national language or national traditions (4) It helps people escape the daily media and boring routines (5) It provides some simple moral principles and helps people justify it (like loving your neighbour, etc.) - Do you see where I'm getting? I agree that there is little in religion that can't be provided by other mechanisms, BUT - Some people simply do not like the alternative AND there are things religion simply is to good at even when compared to political parties.

Arguing that either religion is evil or good is a false dichotomy - Religion is part of most people's culture and has influenced what we are today in some shape or form, even if we don't realize it. to some degree I think religion is fascinating from an academic's perspective because how man creates ideologies to fit his views on the world.

My biggest criticism of religion would be that it proposes a worldview that could be equally provided by anything else or nothing at all. 

Quote:Bad things:

Radicalism, terrorism, gang like, brainwashes young people, false hope of afterlife, puts fear in people, religious institutions are tax-free businesses, people waste their time at religious institutions/reading about religion, religion makes us superior to animals and pits religions against each other (tribe like)

Radicalism and terrorism have always existed and there's groups that perpetuate those acts without religion, not to mention it's usually an isolated problem compared to the majority of the population (and it's almost exclusive to abrahamic religions). This does not prove anything.

Brainwashing is grossly exaggerated by atheists like Dawkins, the majority of parents in first world countries do not force kids to believe, they simply teach them the basic principles and send them to church. I don't consider indoctrination if it's a simple teaching without coercion. If you do have proof I'd like to see it

False hope? Yes I agree, but we are full of it

Fear? That's mostly an abrahamic faith thing, not representative of the world's religions at all, and it depends on the believer

Tax-free? So are charities. I prefer to have tax-free churches than to live in a country where politicians tell the people global warming isn't caused by man because in the bible it's god that caused it (and he didn't get fired Wink)
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(May 12, 2015 at 4:12 am)Dystopia Wrote: The idea in the OP is also somewhat simplistic - Most religious people are not thinking about god when they help the homeless guy, they are thinking that this person needs help.
They are also thinking about all the homeless people they can convert to their cult while they feed them

For starters many countries only exist (and thus you and other people exist just as you are) because of the majority's religion spread (or alternatively it's one of the causes).
Religions exist. I exist. That doesn't make them good in the 21st century

(1) The sense of community it provides that allows people to meet friends, husbands, wives and have fun while working for a common cause
You can have community and volunteer without religion
(2) Gives people comfort by knowing that there's someone always watching over you, and like it or not some people need that comfort
False hope is not a good thing.
(3) It is a part of their culture just like the national language or national traditions
Religion is fake and harmful.
(4) It helps people escape the daily media and boring routines
Find a hobby
(5) It provides some simple moral principles and helps people justify it (like loving your neighbour, etc.)
Atheists have a conscience and morals without fear of God

Arguing that either religion is evil or good is a false dichotomy - Religion is part of most people's culture and has influenced what we are today in some shape or form, even if we don't realize it. to some degree I think religion is fascinating from an academic's perspective because how man creates ideologies to fit his views on the world.
Many religious extremists are evil. I think religion has no place in the 21st century. They are all over 1,000 years old. Think about all we know now. 

My biggest criticism of religion would be that it proposes a worldview that could be equally provided by anything else or nothing at all. 
Now we can agree! Smile

Radicalism and terrorism have always existed and there's groups that perpetuate those acts without religion, not to mention it's usually an isolated problem compared to the majority of the population (and it's almost exclusive to abrahamic religions). This does not prove anything.

So you admit Abrahamic religions are war mongerers. They are the majority of religious people. This is my point. They are no different than bloods and crips.

Brainwashing is grossly exaggerated by atheists like Dawkins, the majority of parents in first world countries do not force kids to believe, they simply teach them the basic principles and send them to church. I don't consider indoctrination if it's a simple teaching without coercion. If you do have proof I'd like to see it

Have you heard of Catholic Schools, Islamic Schools, Jewish Schools?

Tax-free? So are charities. I prefer to have tax-free churches than to live in a country where politicians tell the people global warming isn't caused by man because in the bible it's god that caused it (and he didn't get fired Wink)
Religious institutions are businesses that get tax free status in the name of God. It's a scam.
Religion is nothing more than a creation of older civilizations that is now obsolete and useless. The only thing keeping religion alive today is that there are those who cling to their wishful thinking.
“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.” 
-Isaac Asimov

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
-Douglas Adams

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History of abolishing God from the society Fake Messiah 42 2537 February 26, 2022 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4242 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4473 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38808 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  Are all religions equally harmful? (Islam) Dystopia 16 4967 February 21, 2015 at 12:28 am
Last Post: psychoslice
  Which type of Political Atheism is most influential in human society currently? CristW 19 4826 February 20, 2015 at 9:51 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Disproof Atheism Society Tea Earl Grey Hot 34 6112 June 23, 2014 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16571 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  How to pressure atheism on society TaraJo 32 10002 December 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Religious Institutions Engrained into Society Meatball 7 5261 October 18, 2008 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: infidel666