Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Science does not offer one guidance for how to live" <---- WRONG.
"Science does not offer one guidance for how to live" <---- WRONG.
Science does in fact recommend certain conduct for how one ought to live. These include:

Free and open questioning of all claims anyone makes
Not accepting anything on the mere basis of "authority"
Basing knowledge on a rigid, methodological empiricism
Changing views when the evidence demands so

What else could be included?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: "Science does not offer one guidance for how to live" <---- WRONG.
sewage runs down hill

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Tongue
Strict accountability for one's work. If a scientist is caught falsifying data, stealing/plagiarizing others' work, or committing any kind of professional fraud, he/she is finished. There are no grey areas and no second chances.
Both science and personal morality offer a very useful guidance on how to live. Who the hell came up with that argument? And let's not forget science also improves our living far more than religion ever has and ever will..
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Wash your hands, cover your mouth - and don't stick your dick in a meatgrinder?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 21, 2014 at 7:41 pm)Rhythm Wrote: don't stick your dick in a meatgrinder?

Fuck, had you told me that sooner, I could have avoided my ex.

Thanks, man.
Science! See, Cthulu here ran an experiment for the benefit of all.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 21, 2014 at 7:45 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Science! See, Cthulu here ran an experiment for the benefit of all.

Taking one for the team is what I do best.
I very much disagree.Science is there only to tell us about how the world works not how to live,or to make us feel good
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

Do not answer mobile phone while "ironing"!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2736 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7050 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1964 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 37193 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science? Nishant 10 2901 January 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  2014 article in online science journal: "Atheists Might Not Exist" Whateverist 15 4088 July 4, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2049 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 25468 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Do atheists like Atheist Roo have anything useful to offer the Atheist community? IanHulett 21 7308 January 1, 2016 at 10:33 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Science and Religion not in direct conflict? maestroanth 26 5115 December 31, 2015 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Brian37