Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument from "You did it wrong"
Argument from "You did it wrong"
I'm sure some of you have heard/used this argument in the past, and I was wondering if there's a colloquial term for it?

Something along the lines of:
Billy: I used to be a christian, but I researched my way out.
Joel: Then you were never a true christian.
Billy: I felt like I was, I prayed every day.
Joel: You have to pray more than once a day...
Billy: I did, I was constantly in prayer.
Joel: You weren't praying correctly, you have to ask for forgiveness first.
Billy: I did...every time...
Joel: But did you believe it?
Billy: Yes...
Joel: Well clearly not, because if you did you wouldn't be an atheist now.
RE: Argument from "You did it wrong"
I'd like to say Argument from Ignorance, but then again, aren't they all arguments from ignorance?

By the way, welcome! How about an introduction?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Those posts just keep moving off toward the horizon, don;t they?  I;d go the other way with it, and suggest that the fact that god is "speaking" to them means that theyre doing something wrong.  You don;t see your boss when everythings going well, after all.

The big man may be satisfied with his reliable performers, prioritizing time and effort on the problem children.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Billy was obviously masturbating to much. It's called fist block.

Welcome.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
er . . .

with tens of thousands of schisms, sects, unaffiliateds, denominations and cults, I think there is CONSIDERABLE proof the odds of a given 'Christian' doing it right, in the eyes of his fellow Christers (let alone little old me!) are infinitesimally tiny.

communion, bread then wine, or wine then bread?
brim of your hat too wide or too narrow?
women preach or not?
handle deadly serpents?
Judas hung himself or guts exploded?
Bear your own burdens or others?
Christ carried cross with or without help to Golgotha?
Paul uses trickery or doesn't use trickery?
Jesus has authority greater than God?
Jesus answers all or no charges before Pilate?
Dispose of swords or buy swords?

Guess wrong on any of 'em and you're not doing it right.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah, even a local around here likes to bring up A/S/K. Do it right, and you'll find god. If you don't find god, you either did it wrong, or you didn't do it long enough.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 21, 2018 at 2:28 pm)zipperpull Wrote: I'm sure some of you have heard/used this argument in the past, and I was wondering if there's a colloquial term for it?

If there was a god that was fully powerful and wise, and able, and it wanted me to know it, and to believe in it-and-its-existence, it would know what it would take to convince me of all that. It would have the power, and it would know how to convince me without coercion, just as the "real" Christians have been convinced. Since I haven't been convinced, either the god doesn't want me to be convinced, doesn't care that I be convinced, (or else the god doesn't exist - contradicting the original assumption).

So I'm an atheist because . . .

i) there is no god,
or
ii) the god doesn't care enough to convince me yet.

And don't tell me it's my fault that I'm not convinced - not if the god is fully powerful and wise, and able, and it wants me to know. I may be a crap human, but the god, (if it exists), is a crap communicator.
There are no atheists in terrorist training camps.

(May 21, 2018 at 2:28 pm)zipperpull Wrote: I'm sure some of you have heard/used this argument in the past, and I was wondering if there's a colloquial term for it?

Pretty much their whole game. To try and snuff out their own personnel doubts .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Looks like a protracted version of a "No True Scotsman" fallacy, possibly a less intellectual "Courtier's Reply." Some versions try to cut to the chase and ask "did you know the Lord?" and claiming that a Christian is, by definition, "one who knows the Lord." The OED and Merriam-Webster show no such definition in their words. Even the American Heritage Dictionary, which was created specifically as a conservative alternative to Webster's Third's permissiveness, fails to include such a definition. Not even Samuel Johnson's dictionary uses such a definition (and that was written at a time when Christianity was more or less taken for granted in English-speaking lands). If there is a proper dictionary that defines a Christian as "One who knows the Lord" (not a glossary, not Christian reference books/propaganda, but a proper dictionary of the English language), prove me wrong.

Nota Bene: If you're going to argue based on definitions, be sure said definitions are accurate.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Apparently God is a lot like those rituals in movies: Really oddly specific.

If you pray on your knees, in front of a crescent moon (waxing, not waning) at exactly 10:44 PM with no clouds and a humidity of less than 70% but greater than 59% wearing the blood of a virgin rabbit bathed in holy water... then God will reveal himself to you! If he doesn't, then you did the whole thing wrong. Did I mention it can't be a tuesday? I forgot that, didn't I. And you have to REALLY believe. God can tell when you're faking (unless you're taking Pascal's wager, which will totally fool him)
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1900 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7052 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5034 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why and How Did you Kill God? ScienceAf 67 11342 August 28, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2050 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Theist "You are Evidence" argument. Socratic Meth Head 35 7364 March 19, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 25470 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  How did you become an atheist? Excited Penguin 256 33070 December 26, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Did your former religion ever make you feel broken? Cecelia 19 5431 November 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: abaris
  When, Where, How and Why did you become Atheist? bambi_swag 122 27392 October 18, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: robvalue