Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heathen Review #1: Apes Will Rise
Heathen Review #1: Apes Will Rise
[Image: AtheistInside.png]

Heathen Review #1: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

"What is the meaning of this? A movie review column written by godless, hellbound scum?!" cried all the elitist fundie preachers as they fainted in their piles of "donation money."

Confused Fall

To answer their question, Heathen Reviews is a proposed series of posts where I look at a movie suggested by you guys (that I've seen, own, or can rent) and not only look at the movie itself, but also the philosophical questions posed by the movie, particularly its viewpoint on religious questions as I see it, and give my perspective on both.

After this post, if you guys show enough interest I'll continue this series and do a movie that you suggested. But for now, since Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is out, I figured I'd revisit Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the movie that saved a beloved franchise after it was nearly killed by Tim Burton in that godforsaken horror that we shall never speak of, and then tell you why you should buy, rent, wait for TV, or skip this movie.

I suppose the first question to ask is: why did it do so well? And does it deserve the praise it's getting? Well, let's find out and explore its themes here.

A couple of technical notes before I begin. For those of you who are geeks out there, I'm reviewing this Blu-ray on a Sony BDP-S3100, which is nicely cheap but really fantastic Blu-ray, DVD, and CD player stuffed with Internet services as well, a Sceptre 32'' 720p display, and a Coby two-channel stereo sound bar. Not the best setup ever, but for a small apartment it's comparatively cheap and robust.

[Image: x158BDP3100-o_left.jpg]

Besides, one look at this sexy beast of a machine restores just a little faith in humanity.

Movie Review

Disc Review

Philosophical Review

Conlcusion (or, if you skipped to this, TL;DR)

Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
RE: Heathen Review #1: Apes Will Rise
Hell to the yes.

Heart

PS thanks for the spoiler protection Smile
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(July 22, 2014 at 12:27 am)Luckie Wrote: Hell to the yes.

Heart

PS thanks for the spoiler protection Smile

You're very welcome! Glad you enjoyed.

Oh and BTW, if you don't have a Blu-ray player, it's around $9.99 to buy on your digital movie service of choice and $3.99 to rent. You can also rent the Blu-ray or DVD at Redbox for $1.50/night and $1.20/night respectively.

Any thoughts on what you'd like for me to look at next?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
Thanks, I enjoyed that.
Book of Eli?
(July 22, 2014 at 12:41 am)Little lunch Wrote: Thanks, I enjoyed that.
Book of Eli?

Good suggestion and I'm glad you liked it! I remember liking that quite a bit and then souring on it the first time I watched it. But that was before I became an atheist and consequently learned to see various religious and secular perspectives on things. It could be interesting to revisit why I hated the movie in the first place, what I like and dislike NOW, and how to (possibly) enjoy it without being taken aback by the movie's religious themes.

Agree. ^^^^

I loved that movie when I rewatched it as an atheist. Hell I even liked it as a theist Tongue

Lets have at it Smile and no I haven't read the Planet of the Apes yet because I like to go in blind. But I'll give you my review when I watch it.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(July 22, 2014 at 12:57 am)Luckie Wrote: Agree. ^^^^

I loved that movie when I rewatched it as an atheist. Hell I even liked it as a theist Tongue

Lets have at it Smile and no I haven't read the Planet of the Apes yet because I like to go in blind. But I'll give you my review when I watch it.

Just rented it on my Apple TV. What's the worst that could happen? Tongue

One day those apes will evolve and and question where they came from!
Sounds stupid, doesn't it ...Isn't that exactly what we have done!

Loved the movie 8.5/10
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 22, 2014 at 1:13 am)ignoramus Wrote: One day those apes will evolve and and question where they came from!
Sounds stupid, doesn't it ...Isn't that exactly what we have done!

Loved the movie 8.5/10

Apes could never EVOLVE...oh, wait.

Glad you enjoyed my review. Any suggestions on movies I could do next?

I watch Transcendence last night ...very topical....
8.5/10
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rise. WinterHold 5 639 October 12, 2016 at 12:37 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  JHC's In depth review of Fifty Shades of Grey JesusHChrist 19 2617 February 21, 2015 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Book Review BrokenQuill92 17 3230 November 6, 2014 at 11:53 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Heathen Review #3: Diet Noah StealthySkeptic 1 1151 August 11, 2014 at 1:47 am
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Heathen Review #2: So Kawaii! StealthySkeptic 8 2515 July 23, 2014 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Rise Against Holden Caulfield 5 1265 June 13, 2014 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Shaggy
  Rise of the Planet of the Apes Shell B 39 10307 February 19, 2012 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: eseernosam
  Book review of "Night" everythingafter 3 2081 May 18, 2011 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Review of The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason by Victor J. Stenger Justtristo 2 1594 December 11, 2010 at 6:19 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Review: Kick-Ass (2010) Autumnlicious 9 2090 May 8, 2010 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Tiberius