Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pleasure is far superior to mere intelligence
Pleasure is far superior to mere intelligence
I am now going to prove how pleasure is more important than any amount of intelligence in the world (and even atheism intelligence such as knowing scientific facts and that there is no God, etc.). I will ask a question of whether you would choose to either be a genius with no ability to experience pleasure or be a dumb person with all the pleasure in the world. For you to choose to be the genius and think that mere thoughts and intelligence is somehow better than feelings of love and pleasure and such, you would be wrong and delusional. I will now prove how feelings of love and pleasure and such are far superior to mere thoughts and intelligence in this case.

As for feeling numb (no pleasure or anything), if I had the choice, I would rather have my full ability to experience pleasure and have many serious things happen to me than to feel numb with no pleasure and have no bad things happen to me at all. I feel that living a life of no pleasure with nothing more than mere thoughts and high intelligence is the worst thing that could happen to someone. If you had the choice to either be a genius with all the intelligence in the world with no ability to experience pleasure or be someone who is very dumb, but has all the pleasure in the world, which would you choose? Some people might choose to be the genius. But as for me, I would choose to be the dumb person and I am going to argue why pleasure is the most important thing here.

When we are faced with any hardship in life, we rely on our ability to experience pleasure to get us through in life. For example, someone with a physical condition would say something to his/herself such as "I may have this debilitating condition, but at least I am still able to enjoy my life." However, when you have your ability to experience pleasure taken away, that would be the worst thing.

Also, if you had the choice to either experience a feeling of love or pleasure towards someone or something or to just simply experience nothing more than a thought of pleasure or love towards that person or thing, which would you choose? I'm quite sure you would choose to experience a feeling of love or pleasure which proves here that feelings are far superior to mere thoughts and intelligence in this case. Therefore, in regards to my question as to whether I would be a genius or a dumb person, I (and others here) should obviously choose to be the dumb person since feelings of love and pleasure are far superior to any amount of intelligence (intelligence being nothing more than mere thoughts and awareness).
RE: Pleasure is far superior to mere intelligence
(July 31, 2014 at 9:32 am)Mozart Link Wrote: I am now going to prove how pleasure is more important than any amount of intelligence in the world (and even atheism intelligence such as knowing scientific facts and that there is no God, etc.). I will ask a question of whether you would choose to either be a genius with no ability to experience pleasure or be a dumb person with all the pleasure in the world. For you to choose to be the genius and think that mere thoughts and intelligence is somehow better than feelings of love and pleasure and such, you would be wrong and delusional. I will now prove how feelings of love and pleasure and such are far superior to mere thoughts and intelligence in this case.

As for feeling numb (no pleasure or anything), if I had the choice, I would rather have my full ability to experience pleasure and have many serious things happen to me than to feel numb with no pleasure and have no bad things happen to me at all. I feel that living a life of no pleasure with nothing more than mere thoughts and high intelligence is the worst thing that could happen to someone. If you had the choice to either be a genius with all the intelligence in the world with no ability to experience pleasure or be someone who is very dumb, but has all the pleasure in the world, which would you choose? Some people might choose to be the genius. But as for me, I would choose to be the dumb person and I am going to argue why pleasure is the most important thing here.

When we are faced with any hardship in life, we rely on our ability to experience pleasure to get us through in life. For example, someone with a physical condition would say something to his/herself such as "I may have this debilitating condition, but at least I am still able to enjoy my life." However, when you have your ability to experience pleasure taken away, that would be the worst thing.

Also, if you had the choice to either experience a feeling of love or pleasure towards someone or something or to just simply experience nothing more than a thought of pleasure or love towards that person or thing, which would you choose? I'm quite sure you would choose to experience a feeling of love or pleasure which proves here that feelings are far superior to mere thoughts and intelligence in this case. Therefore, in regards to my question as to whether I would be a genius or a dumb person, I (and others here) should obviously choose to be the dumb person since feelings of love and pleasure are far superior to any amount of intelligence (intelligence being nothing more than mere thoughts and awareness).

Not sure why they're mutually exclusive. I find pleasure in learning things.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
ML, if you can prove which of apples and oranges is superior to the other, I'll read your screed about pleasure vs. intelligence. But I have to wonder why you're posting here instead of wanking off? Too sore?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(July 31, 2014 at 9:35 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Not sure why they're mutually exclusive. I find pleasure in learning things.

No kidding. I'm pretty sure your brain gives you happy drugs to encourage the learning of new things.
Without intelligence, would you be smart enough to find pleasurable things to do?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(July 31, 2014 at 9:32 am)Mozart Link Wrote: I am now going to prove how pleasure is more important than any amount of intelligence in the world (and even atheism intelligence such as knowing scientific facts and that there is no God, etc.). I will ask a question of whether you would choose to either be a genius with no ability to experience pleasure or be a dumb person with all the pleasure in the world. For you to choose to be the genius and think that mere thoughts and intelligence is somehow better than feelings of love and pleasure and such, you would be wrong and delusional. I will now prove how feelings of love and pleasure and such are far superior to mere thoughts and intelligence in this case.

Only if you have too little intelligence.
Not everyone is motivated by the same things. Each to their own, live and let live, don't judge
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
Ignorance is bliss?
The muting of society's intelligence due to an overabundance of pleasure thanks to drugs like soma and feelies, films which often "tickled the fancy" if you get my drift, was one of the many themes written about in Brave New World. I personally agree that you cannot truly have one without the other- ascetics such as monks are barely human while too much indulgence (unless it's with Losty amirite? Tongue) is pretty stupid.
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
You tried to "prove" this awhile ago.

It didn't work then, what makes you think it'll work now?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could this exciting 2019 comedy show about God, concern artificial intelligence? blue grey brain 8 1300 February 22, 2019 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Rahn127
Wink Human Intelligence is an Illusion The__Chameleon 58 9279 December 19, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2206 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Are the far right Christians here in the U.S. just upset they're losing power GoHalos1993 52 7766 June 9, 2016 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  correlation between intelligence and atheism Sappho 22 4052 December 10, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Vincent
  Some theists are just to far gone dyresand 36 7536 June 7, 2015 at 11:35 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Deepak Chopra Questions Richard Dawkins Intelligence Salacious B. Crumb 26 5638 June 7, 2015 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Rad, ladies... far out. Mudhammam 4 1119 February 11, 2015 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  The Christian view of life being superior to the Atheist one Dolorian 16 3380 October 26, 2014 at 7:55 pm
  Dawkins' Necker Cube, Physical Determinism, Cosmic Design, and Human Intelligence Mudhammam 0 1684 August 28, 2014 at 3:27 pm