Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make stupidity illegal
Make stupidity illegal
I believe in the freedom of speech and thought. However, at what point should we tolerate stupidity? When I see countless comments how global warming is fake, wanting free education or healthcare to stimulate and maximize education and health makes you immoral, or how I.C.E cars are going to be replaced by EVs are a pipe dream. When the defense of those ideals are because the GOP or some conservative talking point/shills say so. How much of that should we actually tolerate? I am finding that allowing stupidity to breed is doing more harm that good.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
RE: Make stupidity illegal
Ouch! Not eugenics again.....
(August 28, 2014 at 3:27 pm)bladevalant546 Wrote: I believe in the freedom of speech and thought. However, at what point should we tolerate stupidity? When I see countless comments how global warming is fake, wanting free education or healthcare to stimulate and maximize education and health makes you immoral, or how I.C.E cars are going to be replaced by EVs are a pipe dream. When the defense of those ideals are because the GOP or some conservative talking point/shills say so. How much of that should we actually tolerate? I am finding that allowing stupidity to breed is doing more harm that good.

In Europe there are usually restrictions to freedom of speech, EG you can't propagate racism or fascism, or go against constitutional principles. But people still have the right to express opinions inside certain limits - The only reasons to want them banned would be an incapacity to counter them. And why the hell can't I be against free education and healthcare? I'm not, but if I believed the government sucked at owning things, I had my right to be against it .

No offence but it seems unfair to ban freedom of speech just because someone doesn't agree with you, no matter how idiotic their opinion may be. Also, slippery slope. You're confirming the liberal bias that liberals are ok as long as you agree with them.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

When I mean breed I mean it figuratively, you can use fester, multiply, persist.

(August 28, 2014 at 3:34 pm)Blackout Wrote:
(August 28, 2014 at 3:27 pm)bladevalant546 Wrote: I believe in the freedom of speech and thought. However, at what point should we tolerate stupidity? When I see countless comments how global warming is fake, wanting free education or healthcare to stimulate and maximize education and health makes you immoral, or how I.C.E cars are going to be replaced by EVs are a pipe dream. When the defense of those ideals are because the GOP or some conservative talking point/shills say so. How much of that should we actually tolerate? I am finding that allowing stupidity to breed is doing more harm that good.

In Europe there are usually restrictions to freedom of speech, EG you can't propagate racism or fascism, or go against constitutional principles. But people still have the right to express opinions inside certain limits - The only reasons to want them banned would be an incapacity to counter them. And why the well can't I be against free education and healthcare? I'm not, but if I believed the government sucked at owning things, I had my right to be against it .

True, however I doubt you have parroted talking points about it either. Mainly the down right idiocy of people, I am more ranting out o frustration, however I still feel there needs to be a point where idiocy should not be tolerated. I live in the south, I am surrounded by the most horrible ignorance conservatives you can think of. I also never said ban free speech, just restrict it. It almost you have to be here and witness the stupidity and how many people it literally hurts.

I'm kind of a 1st Amendment absolutist myself... freedom means the freedom to be an idiot, and if you aren't encroaching on someone else's rights or breaking the law then I think you're allowed to say and propose pretty much anything, even if other people find it unpleasant.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(August 28, 2014 at 3:34 pm)bladevalant546 Wrote: When I mean breed I mean it figuratively, you can use fester, multiply, persist.

(August 28, 2014 at 3:34 pm)Blackout Wrote: In Europe there are usually restrictions to freedom of speech, EG you can't propagate racism or fascism, or go against constitutional principles. But people still have the right to express opinions inside certain limits - The only reasons to want them banned would be an incapacity to counter them. And why the well can't I be against free education and healthcare? I'm not, but if I believed the government sucked at owning things, I had my right to be against it .

True, however I doubt you have parroted talking points about it either. Mainly the down right idiocy of people, I am more ranting out o frustration, however I still feel there needs to be a point where idiocy should not be tolerated. I live in the south, I am surrounded by the most horrible ignorance conservatives you can think of. I also never said ban free speech, just restrict it. It almost you have to be here and witness the stupidity and how many people it literally hurts.

I think incentive to violence, racism, discrimination based on religion, sex, sexual orientation, etc, should be made illegal - But people still have the right to disagree with as much as they want. It should also be illegal to implement legislative measures that go against state/church separation - Something that sometimes seems to not be happening in the US.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 28, 2014 at 3:38 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I'm kind of a 1st Amendment absolutist myself... freedom means the freedom to be an idiot, and if you aren't encroaching on someone else's rights or breaking the law then I think you're allowed to say and propose pretty much anything, even if other people find it unpleasant.

A fair response, I can see that. But also how many people are we going to allow hurt? I can see it can be a slippery slope in either direction. However, question the unlimited nature of free speech is something most people consider taboo. I for one have witness the financial harm and physical harm stupidity can cause. I dunno, with recent things I have seen politicians say and do along with their followers. It hurts one perspective a little.

@Blackout, That is something I would like to see. Some kind of checks and balances because the psychological trauma I have seen personally done by unchained religious discrimination is rather shocking. However, someone disagreeing is one thing. Group of corporations with billions of dollars to make a multitude believe lies is something else which can go both ways mind you.

Quote: freedom means the freedom to be an idiot

But then they get elected and the whole concept goes out the window.
(August 28, 2014 at 3:34 pm)bladevalant546 Wrote: True, however I doubt you have parroted talking points about it either. Mainly the down right idiocy of people, I am more ranting out o frustration, however I still feel there needs to be a point where idiocy should not be tolerated. I live in the south, I am surrounded by the most horrible ignorance conservatives you can think of. I also never said ban free speech, just restrict it. It almost you have to be here and witness the stupidity and how many people it literally hurts.

Keep calling the idiots out. There is also a point at which an argument becomes devoid of reason; i.e, ridiculous. At this point ridicule is a deserved and proper response.
Oppressive censorship is always easiest to implement against the unpopular and seemingly most deserving members of society. Once they're out of the way, the censors find themselves with a lot of power and few people to exercise it against. So they start expanding the meaning of "stupid."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is it illegal to have multiple spouses? FrustratedFool 65 4273 September 23, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Illegal! chimp3 25 1719 April 11, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Illegal Immigration Lek 183 14651 February 15, 2019 at 3:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Illegal Immigrants RoadRunner79 149 19114 June 27, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Illegal Immigration Lek 8 1469 January 16, 2017 at 1:59 am
  "Hoodies should be illegal", sez party of "small government". Ryantology 17 5156 January 19, 2015 at 12:42 pm
  Solving Illegal Immigration: Labor Unions in Latin America! CristW 27 5911 July 26, 2014 at 8:14 am
Last Post: CristW
  illegal aliens Manowar 28 5234 July 5, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Losty
  atheism to be illegal in the E. U. nintendo048 44 9676 March 8, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: nintendo048
  Workers Fired For Protesting Illegal Pay Scale Minimalist 13 4374 December 11, 2013 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist